• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

As so many have said. Every player plays the same hole. I'm thinking that this conversation lends itself tot he errorless play conversation going on over in parsville. Errorless play puts you left of the basket. If you have less than errorless play, you are right and you did it all on your ownsies.

Hole 2

If you execute a 400' uphill tunnel shot off the tee, you are left with approximately 225' that either has to carry OB until the last 30' or navigate a series of trees. Landing 20' right of this basket is definitely well placed.

I'd rather putt through these artificial obstructions on hole 2 than putt through a few of the bushy natural trees on hole 8 or 15.

Some results from today's USDGC Doubles for hole 9 (where I spotted)--50% carded a birdie 3, 40% parred, and 10% bogey or more. 29 drives ended OB and 22 approach shots went OB; all but 7 teams were saved by their partner's shot from using the drop zone and penalty (one team had to use the drop zone twice). Bottom line, avoid an OB and its a birdie (3) or die hole. Did have a sweet 210' throw in eagle, the first eagle I've seen after spotting every shot on that hole for 8 years. Predicting the pros next week 70+% will get a birdie 3.

Last edited:
Legal Remedy in Rock Hill is pretty bad.

It's not on the level of many of the top tier breweries in the QC, but it's far from bad. I'm not usually a saison drinker, but they've done some seasonal varieties of that style in the past which were delicious.

If you execute a 400' uphill tunnel shot off the tee, you are left with approximately 225' that either has to carry OB until the last 30' or navigate a series of trees. Landing 20' right of this basket is definitely well placed.

Winthrop Gold, hole 2? I thought it was pretty open, albeit with OB on the side. I certainly wouldn't call the drive a tunnel shot.

I'd rather putt through these artificial obstructions on hole 2 than putt through a few of the bushy natural trees on hole 8 or 15.

That's your opinion, but i prefer the bushy natural ones.

JTacoma, "bad" was harsh of me. Some of their beer is fine. Some of their flavored beers taste like straight extract and are horrible.

DiscHucker, if you're 20' right, the posts aren't a problem.....even for me!!!

Winthrop Gold, hole 2? I thought it was pretty open, albeit with OB on the side. I certainly wouldn't call the drive a tunnel shot.

Tunnel is probably an exaggerated description, but the trees on either side of the first 100-150 feet off the tee do create a bit of a low ceiling which makes it tough to get a max distance, S-turn type drive. That combined with the OB on both sides that narrows the fairway as it approaches the green definitely makes it feel tunnel-y even if it's fairly open air.

It lessens the tunnel effect when you play with a noodle-arm like mine.

I'll confess that it takes the low ceiling effect away, too, though I realize that the trees and ceilings constrict USDGC players a bit. It's certainly not wide-open.

Nonetheless, I like the design concept of the posts---give the green a favored side, where upshots landing on one side have easier putts than those on the other, but the latter are still recoverable. I'm less enthralled with the aesthetics, but I'd rather it play well and look odd, than vice versa.

We have lots of holes with a favored side of the green---created by existing trees, slopes, and sometimes O.B. As long as players have a reasonable chance from the unfavored side, I'm okay.

I think one of the holes needs a moat of lava around the basket.

Part 2/3 only has 170K views. The youtube comments are hilarious.

Good catch. Interesting cross of people who don't know the sport. Wonder if it's the growing Finn fan base? Did love the, why are these guys stoned, comment. Years of wearing polos and talking like adults ruined in one round synopsis. We're back to the stoner sport.