• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

i dont think hole 12 is a perfect hole

it seems fairly basic just long for a dg hole

maybe im just spoiled and ungrateful :popcorn:

Hole 12 is the only hole I've ever seen that is non-eagleable, even with a crazy throw in. Perfectly designed with the slight dogleg and tight to open to tight again. Getting a par on that hole requires so much more effort than people realize and feels like a birdie.

NW Gold 12 is interesting as it's not just long, it also requires some strategy on shot placement, including a piece that is not intuitive.

I played FPO at Worlds and we played from the forward tees which shaved about 300 or so feet from the overall length. You can see the location in the post produced coverage.

The two shots that really matter, at least for our division, are the first shot across the gap, and then the shot up the hill. You really need to position yourself in the middle of upper fairway to truly attack for the bird. Too much left or right and it's really tricky to get onto the green.

It is a very deceptive hole. It looks simple and if you can park your shots, it can be. I took a bird on it in round 2 and a par in round 4. But wow, if you get off the upper fairway, or fail to position yourself well off the tee, it can punish you.

I can only image how much harder it is playing from the gold tee and having to hit the initial 300 or so foot shot through the woods to get where we were teeing from.

I for one would love to see worlds go back to playing more then 5 rounds. Right now it really isnt much different then any other big tournament. Or at least bring back the final 9 or something. Worlds just doesnt feel like the premier event in disc golf anymore to me.

agreed other than the name there is nothing significant about it

Hole 12 is the only hole I've ever seen that is non-eagleable, even with a crazy throw in. Perfectly designed with the slight dogleg and tight to open to tight again. Getting a par on that hole requires so much more effort than people realize and feels like a birdie.

Conrad might have had a chance to get an eagle but he threw his teeshot a bit far. He had a goofy runup next to that bridge. Had he been a bit shorter and on the flat right before the bridge, he might have been able to get a shot part of the way down the tunnel and we all know he has one of the longer step putts out there.

I agree though, it is highly unlikely to throw the two shots required to even give you a chance at a long throw in.

Last edited:
Stats can be fun.

- Paul had an avg rating of 1071 over the five rounds
- Oakley was the lowest rated player in the top 15
- Only 3 players in the top 15 played every round above their rating: Oakley, Dickerson and Conrad
- Eagle had the only sub 1000 rated round of the top 15 players
- Eagle had 104 points diff between his best and worst round

Just bored at work. . .so why not look at stats?

If Emerson bombs out this round (finishes out of top 5) we'll (<- the unwashed internet disc golf masses . . .all 2k of us) will forget it happened. Disclaimer -- I want anyone except Paul or Ricky to win and I have nothing against Paul or Ricky other than they've already won.

Emerson didn't -- good on him. I'm not as sure all the "unlucky" comments are warranted as at the level he played luck had much to do with it. Either way, he didn't collapse, thus making a name for himself in the biggest events.

Barsby has made a good showing of it. I'm glad he won last year and hope Emerson (who's waaayy out-performed Barsby from last year at this time in the proceedings and hopefully makes a 60' birdie putt on the 18th to avoid a play-off with Paul and Ricky who are parked for par).

Top 20 isn't the worst showing -- he won last year.

Same as the men -- anyone but Paige or Cat . . .seems much less likely than the men but hey, it's the internet and I can dream.

Meh -- Cat really can't putt. Yawn.

Whatever place Lloyd Weema (sp?) finishes is ahead of me. It's ahead of everyone who didn't enter because he did. I don't know him or really care except whenever I enter a tournament and finish last I always contend that any of my disc golf friends that heckle my result I contend I beat them since they were'nt brave enough to show.

My guess is that if you're reading this Lloyd finished ahead of you at Worlds. You could have signed up but you were'nt ready to compete in the World Championship. You lost, he won.

Par of 6 would make more sense.

I am going to disagree with Horsman when he says that the NW course was good before the redesign. It wasn't. It was so much throwing back and forth up top with ropes to define OB. Very boring and lame with like 4 good holes. It is a good course now.

As far as timing of post production. I don't think that Jomez is purposefully timing the release to coincide with the live coming out. I am hoping it is just coincidence. Someone asked why all the crews don't get together and schedule things better, and none of us have a real incentive to do so. We all have our own part to do, and are just trying to get our stuff out as fast as possible.

I like the 5 round format. I don't think we need more full rounds. I could be convinced of a final 9 as well to ratchet up the pressure.

What if you were a touring pro and you had to play that course in order to get a chance at 10k?

plus 10-30K bonus (pending on sponsor) and basically a lifetime salary with your name on a disc...

It's not even a decision at that point.

What if you were a touring pro and you had to play that course in order to get a chance at 10k?
See, that's the rub. I'm a disc golfer. Regular guy who frolfs. I could have spent that $16 on anything but I bought a Star Boss. Can't really throw it like it is intended but I can birdie the Hell out of a 270' hole with it, right? I don't want to throw a 300' forced water carry and lose my $16. If I'm going to lose my $16 I want it to be in the shule of a wooded fairway like God intended. :|

A lot of the high-profile events are being hosted on these types of courses where you are trying to challenge the skills of guys whose skill level is waaayyy over our abilities, and they really don't exist in the wild. Those that do are not very easy to have a hoard of spectators on. So things like Eureka happen. When you watch disc golf on courses like Eureka, you are supposed to be so impressed by the throws that you don't notice that you would hate playing there. The touring pros likely hate it as well (I mean, who really likes throwing a big hyzer around a water tower? :gross: ) but the level of competition that gets drawn to it is too much to pass up if you really play for the competition. So yeah, the draw of competition and a fat payout would override how much they hate the course.

Nobody is going to pay me, though. I can just let the hatred flow...

This is not unique to Eureka, though. A lot of Pro Tour/NT events are held on courses I'd probably pass on and play the wooded par three niner on the other side of town. It is what it is.

Last edited:
He had 5 pars all week. 3 in the last round though, so you know he is a closer!

My count differs.

0 x Birdie
4 x Par
25 x Bogey
14 x Double Bogey
15 x 3 Over
5 x 4 Over
8 x 5 Over
1 x 6 Over

The sad thing about this is that people are actually tallying and keeping up with Lloyd Weema's score... :|

The sad thing about this is that people are actually tallying and keeping up with Lloyd Weema's score... :|

Keeping up with his scores was easy, it wasn't that hard adding up his pars. He's the only group tee off first thing in the morning during a slow time of the year while the excitement builds thru out the day.

It was quiet entertaining.

I think this is all positive. Almost all of us can empathize with him. We're kind of rooting for ourselves (or - for those who have since gotten better - our former selves).

I think this is all positive. Almost all of us can empathize with him. We're kind of rooting for ourselves (or - for those who have since gotten better - our former selves).

True. I was being humorous/facetious about it. I think it's great that Weema can live his dream like that.

Having said that, I think a more serious discussion is needed on qualifying for a tournament of the level of Worlds or the USDGC. Yes, there's been some discussion about it here and there, and there needs to be more. :popcorn:

Latest posts