• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Even if Innova sells a Paul signature disc after his contract is over, you could make a good case that Paul should get royalties if they are making money off of using his name

I'm channeling my 2 siblings (and their spouses) who are all lawyers here - but I'd wager that it would depend on whether the contract says royalties are contingent upon the production date, or the sale date...because that would create interesting scenarios given the combo of the wording, and the contract expiration date.

I *think* the piece of the stamp that has the names (i.e. for stock discs with signatures such as the Destroyer) is a separate/removable die, so if that's true then it's easy enough to start producing non-sig versions of the stamp even now. I remember they switched from AJ to PMcB pretty fast once that decision was made.

Looks like they pulled Paul's tour series discs from the factory store (or somebody just bought them all ???), but Paul is still listed as part of the Innova Star Team...

I imagine it works the same way that authors make royalties, when prints are ordered when sales has projected a need. In this case once Paul leaves they will not make anymore runs if Ian is right and this has been known internally since September then innova would have prepared and run extra, and thus payed Paul all due royalties.

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

My interpretation of that video (and post circa 2014) - and this is just my .02 here - is that it needs the context of baseball. I think baseball was always his first love, and when we filmed some stuff with him a few years ago (that didn't release...yet...but that's a rabbit hole), we were at a little league diamond where he was fielding grounders from his brother and lasering them to the fence behind first base. His grandpa was there telling me, "watch the way he moves to the ball" etc.

I think the original dream destiny for Paul was the MLB. Disc golf popped up as an opportunity in his teens, and he pulled the thread to get to where he is.

Without that context, it seems like he was saying, "nah I'm not really into it" - but I think he was meaning that (referring to the 2014 post here) he was realizing that he was at the end of the road as far as his talent alone could take him, and he would need to make it a bigger priority in order to turn (at the time) a shock-the-world pair of World Championships into a long-term career at the top.

Remember that in 2014, the last time we saw back-to-back world champions was Barry Schultz in 03-04, and nobody since Climo had gone 3-in-a-row.

If memory serves me correctly, in one video (maybe the "Greatness" vid), Paul said he picked up disc golf as a hobby that he could do at any time and could do alone or with others. It obviously grew from there, and possibly when his MLB hopes faded...

Why am I so in tune to this Paul Mcbeth thing right now?

Well, it is the biggest thing to happen in disc golf in years, maybe ever. And after that commercial where Paul says "I don't see myself doing anything else.", and now he's doing something else, it's even more unexpected and huge in the DG world...

Well, looking at lists of top selling discs is pretty dull these days - Innova has most of the top 20 - Buzzz, Judge, are usually the only regular interlopers in this charts, courtesy of Infinite and DGC. Spreading the wealth is good with me.

Is Paul the first person to get disc golf on sports center, not counting aces that made top 10 plays? I just remembered DGLO is sponsored by Discraft. It would have been cool to see him shoot his -18 at his own sponsor's event.

Is Paul the first person to get disc golf on sports center, not counting aces that made top 10 plays? I just remembered DGLO is sponsored by Discraft. It would have been cool to see him shoot his -18 at his own sponsor's event.

Nate Doss with the ace on hole one at the memorial open was the first.

JV, you are underestimating queue times for a company that size. They don't wake up in the morning and figure out what they're gonna mold. The queue's are months long, as all of the discmaniacs understand quite well...because when a Discmania mold takes off and they run out, people essentially end up waiting until a) more can be stamped or b) more can be molded. The wait for the latter is usually a few months.

You could make a quick change and cheaply pump out extra product...but I think consumers would frankly see through that and it would end up being product left on shelves.

I think of the demand is high enough for a while, they would make an adjustment in their queue. But I don't think that they are going to pump out an absurd amount.

But ultimately they will not sit on shelves... Depending on what model it is. Destroyers are gonna still be destroyers. :)

And after that commercial where Paul says "I don't see myself doing anything else.", and now he's doing something else, it's even more unexpected and huge in the DG world...

Can anyone find the video of this? I haven't been able to track it down

Dude, you've really got to stop searching for empirical evidence of Innova's numbers in this thread, lol. Nobody has them, Innova doesn't share that information.

That was my 1st time challenging someone for $ numbers, I totally agree as I've never seen any pro post what kind of base salary...if any at all... they are getting from a sponsor.

Can anyone find the video of this? I haven't been able to track it down

The original statement was made during a Spin TV production on YouTube called "Meet Paul McBeth- 2012 Disc Golf World Champion" Statement starts around 5:50 mark.

Anybody think they will do a commemorative stamp for McBeth's time with Innova. Those seem to be all the rage.