• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships

I'm #48 on the waitlist and slightly salty. I've been getting less and less hyped for AM worlds the closer it gets.

First I made the silly decision to skip ledgestone last year which resulted in me having to grind out dozens of 4 hour league rounds/local events to get enough points. But figured it'd be worth it since it's local.

Then the course schedule was announced and it was Brewer (makes sense, local bomber course) Fallasburg (one of the better wooded courses locally) Johnson Park (I enjoy it for the elevation but lots find it to be a short easy beginner course) and Rotary North, which 50% of the locals haven't played, based on the other 50% saying how much it sucks. So that curbed my enthusiasm even further.

Then the situation with registration, which I assume is similar to years past, and shame on me for not researching it ahead of time. But had I realized there would be 37 spots by the time my tier rolled around I most certainly wouldn't have even bothered worrying about points last year.

So, presently I'm still on the wait list, and Fallasburg is practically in my backyard. If I get bumped off the waitlist there's a decent chance I'll likely still play, if not, I'll cash those vacation days in for a trip to play somewhere far cooler than rotary north.

It's funny how a 45 minute drive seems not too bad if it's all within a metro area, but a huge long way if it is through flat open country. (Of course, a 45 minute drive would be 72 miles - the way I drove when I lived in Kansas.)

It's all fun and games until you get stuck behind a Amish horse and buggy in the middle of nowhere PA. :ROFLMAO:

Makes one want to play NADGT instead of worlds, you get an auto invite for a win and could get one for a podium finish+ depending on how many players are signed up in your division. Nationals are held in Austin around the end of October. There have been some negatives surrounding this Tournament also. The players dinner venue, a brewery with disc gold course, can't handle the 1400+ players, plus having to pay to park. Don't count on that free meal.
I guess the other negative is you don't get to claim the title of "World Champion" in your division.

Tiers need to be more finely graduated and/or standards for qualification need to be raised to prevent the keyboard races. Either of these would be easy enough to implement- further graduating the tiers would take about 5 minutes on Disc Golf Scene.

Other things I would prefer to the current situation:
Ditch points entirely and tie qualification to ratings and playing a minimum number of events which could vary from place to place based on general event availability in specific areas. The idea that you can qualify based on going to one event (DDO, Ledgestone, usually Bowling Green) and finishing in the middle of the field sucks imo.

Only MA1/FA1 points should be applicable to those divisions if points have to be used.