• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$30 AGame backpack bag at Academy Possible Magellan replacement?

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
Was checking out Academy and found they have a new $30 backpack disc golf bag called the AGame. Possible replacement for the Magellan? Wonder how the two compare in quality. Only available in Grey. Thinking about getting one.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/agame-disc-golf-backpack#repChildCatid=3973170

Features and Benefits

Made of water-resistant ripstop material
Main compartment can fit 21 golf discs and features an internal organizer
Soft-lined pocket for personal electronics
2 bottle holders can each secure a 32 oz. bottle
Padded back
Adjustable shoulder straps

10733857.jpg

10733859.jpg

10733858.jpg

Looks like it will have some built in structure. Otherwise the section with the vertical storage will slouch over badly. Maybe I should say it better have some built in structure.

I also wonder what the towel in the second picture is attached to. Probably the stool strap in some way. Looks like some improvements, but some may miss a putter quiver. Still a great price for a bag that can probably hold more than the Magellan could and have better access to the main disc compartment.

Just ordered one. I'll have a video review up whenever it gets here. If there's anything specific you'll want me to cover let me know.

Just ordered one. I'll have a video review up whenever it gets here. If there's anything specific you'll want me to cover let me know.

I would definitely like to know if it has internal structure. I would be surprised if it did.

My magellan bag needed homemade structure added.

You never know. Excited to see how it comes out. I'm sure the quality is no where near Upper Park.

What does look promising to me is the 'honeycomb' pattern of the nylon - it's the most durable of the three nylons used on the old magellan if it's the same fabric (I'd wager that it is).

By golly. That looks familiar.
I know man this sucks. It's a total ripoff of the Rebel, a poorly made one at that. I personally will never buy from a company like this. I understand it's a worldwide economy but I will support my small business brothers and sisters, not a corporate theif running a slave labor industry.

It looks like if a rebel and a Magellan had a baby.

Sorry guys including upper park. Until the major disc companies come to terms with the fact that there is a HUGE calling for an entry level backpack bag you're going to have cheaper Chinese bags readily available for those who want to spend less.

Well Prodigy has a cheap backpack now.

I'm sure companies would like to sell cheaper, quality bag. Unfortunately the quantity and demand to lower their margins/costs just isn't there. Plus most people can scratch together the extra $100-150.

I'm not surprised - the magellan design is a pretty direct lift of Innova's HeroPack but not nearly as nice with respect to quality and durability.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109894

Other way around, Queen. Magellan was out for quite a long time before Innova stole that thing stitch for stitch and called it the HeroPack. All Innova did was add a very mild structure improvement, improve some seams, and add some wicked ugly colors.

ANYWAY! :D This new A Game bag does look to be a step up from the Magellan and while it's obviously UPD inspired and super-surely won't be the same quality as Upper Parks (very few bags are) this does look like a great design for $30. It will not hold up as long as a higher quality bag, but it's a solid beginner's entry. Not bad.

This may be the ultimate cost-effective cart bag, either for a backpack style cart, or a homebrew job.

It wouldn't be the prettiest thing on the course, but for around $60 you could put together a complete cart rig with this bag and used jogging stroller or pull-cart...

Hmmmm...

My mistake. I've only been in DG for a few months and thought the rip was the other way around !!

Either way, none of them look girly enough for me ;)

Happens. No worries. Just sucks that with a structure mod that costs you $5 to do at home, an Innova logo, and plaid vomit colors, Innova took a $30 bag and charges $80! What the deuce?! You can do so much better in that price point.

I carry 90% pink discs year round. (a lot of cancer in my family) I was looking for a pink bag at one point, but all I found was the Latitude 64 Luxury bag, which I'm not a fan of the layout. Now I've got my cart and I'm not looking back! :D

Doesn't Fossa make a pink bag? I though DD did too.

Good memory!!

I looked those up and they are $$$$$ !!

IMO they look kinda pretentious. I don't doubt that they are superior with respect to durability & quality, but at this point in my discing timeline, I would rather spend the balance of the cash on plastic. ;)

Good memory!!

I looked those up and they are $$$$$ !!

IMO they look kinda pretentious. I don't doubt that they are superior with respect to durability & quality, but at this point in my discing timeline, I would rather spend the balance of the cash on plastic. ;)

My buddy rocks this from MVP. He loves his pink bag and thinks it is less likely to be stolen if bros think it is a girls bag lol.

MVP-Beaker-Bag-pink.jpg

Latest posts