• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3D printing fun

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
So, I got a 3D printer and two things I wanted to show off. The first one I did not design but find useful. Next tee signs that are cheap and can be very useful. If it gets stolen it's easy to reprint. The other is a mini marker. I like to have it in my pocket but hate the bulk. The Discraft can topper is good but I wanted something thinner. This is the smallest legally allowed
Got some new filament just for the print. I don't plan to lose it but hopefully it would find its way home if I did.

Attachments

• B3542DBF-0523-42D6-A78F-AD67AC6CBF93.jpg
    B3542DBF-0523-42D6-A78F-AD67AC6CBF93.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 8CA59C4C-77FA-494F-8D04-73BE50FFEBDD.jpg
    8CA59C4C-77FA-494F-8D04-73BE50FFEBDD.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 150
Can you give a quick, maybe an ELI5 rundown, of how you added the text/numbers? I'm actually printing a mini from thingiverse right now and was trying to add text to it in sketchup but had zero luck. I gave up on it and am just printing the blank disc right now. I think it could be a fun thing to give to disc golfing buds and maybe logo minis for my home course.

I saw the arrow pieces and thought about printing some of those in the Prusa orange filament I have. Maybe I'll print a few and give them to the local course guy to see what he thinks.

:cheers:

Do 3d printers take G-code? Or do they take toolpaths directly from the model? Stl? Vrml?

Do 3d printers take G-code? Or do they take toolpaths directly from the model? Stl? Vrml?

The fact that somebody else in the world outside of my shop even knows what G-code is makes me giddy.... Lol

I'm pretty sure they don't though. I usually equate G-code to subtractive manufacturing, not additive. But I honestly don't know.

I figured since it's mostly 2.5d movements, (right? I'm not sure) the most basic forms of gcode would work. Instead of spindle CW, it would just be turn on extruder.

^ I remember you two were also in the machining world.

Of course hiflyer's signature does give him away :)

I figured since it's mostly 2.5d movements, (right? I'm not sure) the most basic forms of gcode would work. Instead of spindle CW, it would just be turn on extruder.

The preparatory codes (M-codes) are surely different. There's no reason you couldn't command that spindle around with G-code though. Even if it was full blown 3d.

I was sitting around this morning and remembered this thread, so I decided to try one.

I was going for a bit more of a Rhyno look, but this seems too shallow.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mini2.jpg
    mini2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 65
The fact that somebody else in the world outside of my shop even knows what G-code is makes me giddy.... Lol

I'm pretty sure they don't though. I usually equate G-code to subtractive manufacturing, not additive. But I honestly don't know.

You can print the frame for a CNC and piece together the rest of the electronics for under $500. Not a bad deal really.

I was sitting around this morning and remembered this thread, so I decided to try one.

attachment.php

Sweet. Marker or mini I am assuming?

So, I got a 3D printer and two things I wanted to show off. The first one I did not design but find useful. Next tee signs that are cheap and can be very useful. If it gets stolen it's easy to reprint. The other is a mini marker. I like to have it in my pocket but hate the bulk. The Discraft can topper is good but I wanted something thinner. This is the smallest legally allowed
Got some new filament just for the print. I don't plan to lose it but hopefully it would find its way home if I did.

attachment.php

What's the underneath look like? I printed face down, so didn't want to add supports for the whole flight plate. Didn't think to put my name, but now interested how you did that. I just have an Ender 3.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4DB97B4A-AB32-473E-9F8F-F26AE1ADEA5E.jpg
    4DB97B4A-AB32-473E-9F8F-F26AE1ADEA5E.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 84200581-10EA-4588-80C3-C16813963D7D.jpg
    84200581-10EA-4588-80C3-C16813963D7D.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 35
What's the underneath look like? I printed face down, so didn't want to add supports for the whole flight plate. Didn't think to put my name, but now interested how you did that. I just have an Ender 3.

The underneath printed really nice. I did use raft, and support (you can see it in the background). I designed it in Fusion and that's how I put my name on it.

I wanted an Ender 3 since my buddy already had an Anet A8. He sold me the A8 for $60 though and I couldn't pass it up. My Rhyno profile didn't turn out too bad, but I'll probably redo it to be less shallow. I just wanted to print something, so I made this up quick.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mini3.jpg
    mini3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 30
The underneath printed really nice. I did use raft, and support (you can see it in the background). I designed it in Fusion and that's how I put my name on it.

I wanted an Ender 3 since my buddy already had an Anet A8. He sold me the A8 for $60 though and I couldn't pass it up. My Rhyno profile didn't turn out too bad, but I'll probably redo it to be less shallow. I just wanted to print something, so I made this up quick.

attachment.php

Those supports came off so clean. Well done.

Latest posts