• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

51 Club - A Poll

51 Club Participation

• Total voters
'Five, two, one' in western NC.
$5 for an ace
$2 for chains
$1 for band/basket
Poles are for strippers
Money is paid out for black metal.
You don't have to pay until you start taking money.

I don't think the black ace should be paid if it is a course with multiple baskets on the same hole. (like a red & blue location, both present).

Around here, where two (and sometimes more) permanently installed baskets on a hole isn't that uncommon, we call it hitting a gray ace. As in it's not a basket on another hole (black ace) but not the basket you were aiming for either, so it's something in between...in the gray area.

I once witnessed back to back throws on a hole, one aced the wrong basket on the hole and the next aced the correct basket. Third guy up jokingly turned toward the previous hole's basket and acted like he was going to throw at it because the hole we were on was "all filled up".

I got exposed to this two tournaments ago. Meh. Doesn't thrill me. It used to be that a compliment for doing something good was enough. I'm thinking I'll just start carrying small trophies with me. "You Aced!" and "You Can Throw Straight!"

I did provide trophies for casual rounds one summer. I used car dashboard religious statuettes and the 3 Wise Men, etc. from a Christmas manger set I found at a yard sale.
The guys loved it.

Today, we are playing for St. Joseph.
Tomorrow we will be playing for the Virgin Mary.
On Friday we will be playing for the ceramic sheep breathing warm breath on the little baby Jesus.

Addendum to the poll. If you do play 51, in doubles do you split your earnings with your partner or do you expect your partner to pay up like the rest?

I always split with my partner, but I've had more than one try to pay me.

Addendum to the poll. If you do play 51, in doubles do you split your earnings with your partner or do you expect your partner to pay up like the rest?

Partner pays.

Then again, when I used to play doubles a lot, I never heard of sharing an ace pool with a partner, either.

I play this "rule" mostly for casual rounds with friends. Or I guess it's more of a running side-bet.

Somehow it seems redundant to pay extra during league/tournament rounds when there's a formal ace pot (which I've almost certainly paid into).

Around here, it seems like a minority of the players are familiar with the practice. I don't really go out of my way to "induct" people into the "club". Although the people who seem to get metal hits and aces are also the folks who already know about it.

Same here. :thmbup: Mostly for friends in casual rounds with no ace pot. Just something fun to help make the moment a little more memorable. I have never demanded it nor has anyone I played with, nothing official at all, some people participate and others dont. I had a couple strangers give me $5 each when I aced a hole they let me play through on. I have paid out my fair share on aces I have seen on my card. Just another fun option when playing.

I have paid out to my partner during dubs, gladly pay them $5 if they ace for our team. :D

We play, but aren't strict about it. Nobody is chasing people for their $5. I have paid $5 a week later, but they weren't expecting it.

I don't play. Mostly bc I rarely carry cash.

However, I will accept payment from someone after I tell them "I don't play that, and won't pay you if you get one", and they still insist on giving me the dollar.

Some people really want the karma.

Heard of it. Although as far as I know it's optional until you want to join.

As such, I am not part of it yet, as I'd rather not payout until I get paid first. I have two aces, but my card mates for both were not 51. So I got nothing then, and I'll pay nothing until I get paid!

It's a thing here but it so depends on the situation and who is on the card. I never see people try to collect money but I often see it given voluntarily. For me it all depends on if I have any money on my person at the time I see an ice or metal. If the person who aced is a friend, I'm more likely to fork over.

51 here. We also have a short course that we only do 21, as there are a lot of aces hit there. Also during doubles, partners don't pay. And it's basket or above, nobody pays for pole.

I've heard of the custom, but I would never give some guy money for an ace or pole hit, nor would I accept any money if the situation was turned around and someone tried to pay me (unless it was something agreed upon prior to the round).

doubles partner also pays in 51, from what I'm accustomed to.

however, if there's ace pot in organized doubles rounds, its different. As long as my partner throws into the ace pot, I will give him half of the pot if I ace. I have split my earnings on all 4 of my organized doubles round aces. my partner has never hit an ace.

karma > money... or at least this small amount of money anyways.

I've heard of the custom, but I would never give some guy money for an ace or pole hit, nor would I accept any money if the situation was turned around and someone tried to pay me.

Agreed. My brain cannot find the reasoning behind handing out money for a serendipitous occurance. My brain is pretty pitiful, so maybe I'm missing something. How about a dollar for hitting a particular tree? How about a dollar for a hitting trash can? How about a dollar for a good roll? How about a dollar for hitting a blue jay? How about a dollar for having a mushroom in your stance? How about a dollar for finding an abandoned shoe on the course?

Playing the game is entertaining enough for me

I need to be asked before the round starts if I wish to participate in money exchanges. Don't even try and assume I'm going to hand out dollars during play. Wouldn't want or expect anyone to pull out their wallets if I hit an ace.

What I'm wondering is how can you get through life in the USA if you never carry cash?

The buddies and I are road tripping the first week in September. Never heard of the 51 Club but plan to join this September. Sounds like a very cool game and can't wait to take money from my buddies.

Agreed. My brain cannot find the reasoning behind handing out money for a serendipitous occurance. My brain is pretty pitiful, so maybe I'm missing something. How about a dollar for hitting a particular tree? How about a dollar for a hitting trash can? How about a dollar for a good roll? How about a dollar for hitting a blue jay? How about a dollar for having a mushroom in your stance? How about a dollar for finding an abandoned shoe on the course?

Playing the game is entertaining enough for me

I don't understand why people bet on football games. But they seem to enjoy doing it.