• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Skill Set Poll

If you could only achieve one skill set, which you you choose? (See 1st Post)

• Total voters
If you are a poor driver and average mid range guy you won't be putting until you have already logged 3 strokes, I dont see why people are choosing this option. You would be bogeying almost every hole.

I chose an excellent driver and average putter. If you are an excellent driver you will be putting for two 80% of the time, since 80% of all holes are reachable with your drive!!

B or F are your best choices, I went with B.

Not how I see it.
I see it as at average mid, I can throw it 300, covering most holes in two if you factor excellent puttin.
Excellent driving would put you right by the pin and then missing your first putt, then making the gimmie.

This poll is sort of ridiculous. Why try and define a skill set that you would want from any of those choices? If I did vote for one of those options, I'd take poor driver, average midrange, and excellent putter - that combination would give you the most steady round, with the fewest bogies at the cost of fewer birdies.

I have another way to do a poll like this. Assigning points to 'skill ratings' would have been a better way to do it - 4 points for excellent, 2 for average, 1 for poor, and a point total combination with a value no more than 7 for levels. By far the best choice is unlisted if you keep to the bounds of this theory: Average driver, avg midrange, avg putter (6 of 7 possible points). You'll win a lot of tournaments if you do those 3 things better than half of the field.

By "mid range" do you mean approaches? Whatever skills you have at driving should transfer directly to midranges and putters otherwise your driving skills are probably poor.

I understand that it's hypothetical, but I don't most of those as being realistic. If your driving skills are averge or excellent, then your midrange skills will be the same; you can't be excellent at driving and be poor at throwing midranges. I suppose Average-excellent-poor and excellent-average-poor might be possible but if you're at least average at driving or mids, you'll be at least average or excellent at drives and vice versa.

I voted D, but F was a close second.

oh, to be an excellent putter...though i hit a 100' uphill putt-jump yesterday...:thmbup:

I have been pretty happy with my drive and approach for years, putting on the other hand is inconsistent. One day I will hit 90% of my putts, the next day I will be missing easy 10 foot putts and putting like crap. And I own my own basket, it really irritates me. I need to make the discraft putting clinic one of these times.

D. Beyond the "drive for show / putt for dough" philosophy or the question of whether this will win more often than the others---

Being wildly inconsistent, there are days when my midrange and putting are fire, ice, or lukewarm. My driving, ranging from decent but accurate to insanely bad. But....

If I"m driving badly, saving myself with great upshots, and hitting all my putts, I don't walk away feeling bad. If I squandered great drives with miserable upshots, or missed an armload of makeable putts, I feel like I really blew it.

I chose A without reading any comments on the thread. My idea is to get as much of the hole as you can, soonest. If your drive is good enough you don't need an upshot! If your approach is good enough a drop-in putt is easy.
My own skill set is closer to C or D. What I really want of course is excellence in all areas!
It also occurs to me that real excellence in upshots can make up for an awful lot of mediocre driving.
Now I'm gonna read the thread.

After reading through, I notice that there is no real weight on accuracy versus distance. I figure that for driving, distance is the primary factor that differentiates poor from excellent. It is just the opposite for putts, while upshots, are a balance of the two.
As a weenie arm, I rarely have a drive as long as 250'. I rate that as poor. An excellent drive would go over 350'. An excellent upshot would be to within 5M from up to about 125' out. A putt is within the 10M zone.
Whereas I struggle to add any distance to my drives, I see constant improvement in accuracy as I practice more. This means, that if I drive 375', I can improve my accuracy through hard work much more readily than I can add distance, and improve that way.

The best news is that (according to my ratings) I have continually improved year after year! Some of that has been distance improvement, though most is accuracy. I recall a conversation with Stork, when he told me his father also continued to improve every year even though he was very old at the time.

Excellent distance would be pro level distance. like 400+ feet. poor driving would be anything under 300...imo. but along with the distance youd have a accuracy of 90-100%. so essentially on a 400ft hole you would come within 40 ft of the basket. but remember i said driver not drivers. meaning that if your driving with a mid or putter your still excellent, avg, or poor.
midrange is fairway play. after you drove but too far to putt. so if your playing a longer course this becomes an essential to achieving good scores.
being an excellent putter would be the most important imo. if you hit 90%+ of your putts then your gonna have a good score. you also will hit a large majority of your outside the circle putts.
a rough estimate out there of the average hole length i would say is in the 280-320ft area. if your a average driver youll have that distance easy and with descent accuracy. follow that up with excellent putting and you will probably get a 2 on 80%+ of those holes. and midrange doesnt really come into play here. thats why i chose F. Excellent driver, avg putter wouldve been my second choice.

i purposely didnt mention this next part. wanted to see peoples interpretations.
driver = off the tee
midrange = on the fairway, not putting
putter = from jump putt range and in

I throw mids off the tee all the time. Does that count as approach or drive?If drive then my choice is ex putter, poor mid, av drive
The problem with this thread is the same one video games have- they don't let you throw slower discs to thier real potential.
Still think it's the best thread going right now though;)

i purposely didnt mention this next part. wanted to see peoples interpretations.
driver = off the tee
midrange = on the fairway, not putting
putter = from jump putt range and in
So a 300' shot from a concrete tee is a drive but a 300' shot from the fairway is a midrange shot? What if it's a 300' shot from a grass tee? ;)

I chose D but i would rather have AVG/AVG/Excellent that should be an option.
Number 1 make it so.

Latest posts