• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] A4

This might be a beadless version of the A3 the way that the A2 is a beadless A1?

I'm in the dark about most stuff. I'm sure the guys out touring know more than I do. Will usually tells us when we're about to come out with something new so I wouldn't expect this to be available for a while.

So is the A4 intended to be a straight to understable approach disc, sort of like the M4 is (relative to the M1, M2, etc.)?

One thing I kinda hate about prodigy. the descriptions all sound the F'ing same. Still, I'm interested in seeing the A4 but more now interested in an A5......which may never come out

One thing I kinda hate about prodigy. the descriptions all sound the F'ing same. Still, I'm interested in seeing the A4 but more now interested in an A5......which may never come out

I think an A5 would start getting too close to the PA3/4 and M3/4 area. The A-Series is unique in the fact that it's speed puts it between the putter and midrange flights, but are much more overstable than any other counterparts specifically for approaches. If they made an understable A-Series, then why not use a PA4 or M4?

I grabbed an A2 last night from a CTP giftcard I got as it's the only non-beaded A-Series. It's a BEAUTIFUL little forehand approach disc. So comfortable. Definitely a niche slot that isn't overly necessary, but I like it. They are a bit longer than a putter, but feel much better in the hand than an OS mid like an M1, Verdict, or any other disc with a substantial down curve on the bottom wing.

Same could be said. Why not use a Pa1 instead of the A3, etc, I like the speed differences, I am pretty darn happy with the Envy and Proxy combo so really I dont need an A4 or A5, but, i like discs, so the more the merrier

HAHAHA! I know that feeling ALL too well, Thomas! :D

haha, look at my signature. I dont carry cycled molds, I carry a ton of molds, all have a purpose, not a LOT of overlap really, but my putters get mixed up often depending on conditions, for example, tomorrow is gonna be cold and windy here, so im taking out my 350 plastic and putting in electron and 300 stuff

haha, look at my signature. I dont carry cycled molds, I carry a ton of molds, all have a purpose, not a LOT of overlap really, but my putters get mixed up often depending on conditions, for example, tomorrow is gonna be cold and windy here, so im taking out my 350 plastic and putting in electron and 300 stuff

Same here. Multiple molds, and that's part of the fun. The good news for my wallet is that I'm starting to settle on the molds I like best in my core bag.

I've tried cycling. I'm too much of an addict, buying new molds to ever really cycle much... The 2013 mold 400S M1 is the only disc I've really ever enjoyed cycling. It beats into SUCH a beautiful straight mid but still fights wind and can finish with hyzer when needed... Otherwise, I'm a "different mold for different shots" kinda guy as well.

Thanks for posting the video. I'm sure that when I throw them they'll fly JUST like Will throwing them. :p

Seriously, this looks like Prodigy's entries into a new niche area, the Approachers. One can say this area existed before as the slower mids or fast putters, but these discs seem to deliberately set apart that niche. Innova has come out with the Colt, Stud, and Mirage. MVP/Axiom has the Envy and Proxy, etc. And now Prodigy completes a set with the A-series. It'll be interesting to see how this evolves over time...

Ha! You're not wrong, SD! No one around here is like Will. (Maybe Dana or MJ) The A-Series is really just a rip into the Drone/Gator/Justice market. After (for some reason) the Justice got so much hype last season, I'm not surprised to see Prodigy hop the train.

However, I am enjoying the A2/A3 both very much. I'm too lazy to type it again, so I'll just repeat myself from ID.

For quite a while I've been in the market for something more overstable than my M1s. While the M1 is my most thrown non-putter, I needed something I could really rely on to hook up hard or hang on a big sweeping hyzer without any worry of it flipping to flat.

I bagged a Verdict, a Justice, a Hornet, a Drone, the 2015 retooled M1, a Gator, a Rancho Roc, a Demon... You name it, I gave it a go. I eventually settled on an MD3 after not finding anything that felt good in my hand and filled the slot I was looking for. The MD3 is a great disc, but still will flip flat on big hyzer lines. I ended up using OS fairways and giving them less power.

Then the A-Series came out. The A1 was a delicious beast, but mostly utility. Really didn't like to go anywhere. Kind of a shorter Justice. The A3 came out and was JUST the flight I was looking for, but the domey top bothered me. Then I picked up an A2 proto and fell in love. It flew much like the A3, but with a slight puddle top. Beautiful feel in the hand. I thought I had finally filled that slot... but I was wrong.

The A2 was not quite as long as my A3 had been, and ended up a bit short of what I really wanted. So, I pulled the A3 back out and played around with different grips. There is a small divot between the flight plate and the wing and I found that - using a power grip - if I place my thumb towards the outside edge along that divot, instead of a power grip with my thumb towards the inside of the flight plate, the dome was not even noticeable and I was actually getting even better results in a spike hyzer.

The A3's money zone is big sweeping or spike hyzers in the 200'-250' range. You can take so many obstacles out of play by letting an overstable disc work it's magic for you and the A3 is a perfect example. It easily shapes for beautiful flex lines or big, slow panning overhand shots. Moreover, it will take even my forehand OATs and eat 'em up for breakfast!

Great disc for power throwers looking for a short range overstable monster. However, I would not recommend this at all to newer players or players with lower arm speeds unless they are looking for the beefiest of meat hooks.

Latest posts