• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

adriens95 Bag Thread

00b1394d923542cce2d3575b7373e45e.jpg

I've been eyeing the prices Freetails and Jackalopes have been going for and have been a little worried backups will be impossible to find, so I decided to go ahead and cash in and flip them as part of a trade locally to try some Gyro fairways (Insanity, Crave, and Relay) as well as a Legacy Nemesis and snag a backup Wraith in a nice softer bottom stamped Star plastic. I also separately got a 1.2 SOLF to pair with the flippy MOLF I've been really enjoying.

I haven't been a big slow fairway guy in the past, but I'm really excited to test the Relay and Crave based on the love I've seen on DGCR. The Nemesis will hopefully be a good Freetail replacement that I can also roll- that's a shot I don't currently execute well. The Insanity is probably not that different from the Mantis and Spears that I have in my stash, but I've been itching to try it so I figured it was worth a shot.

My fairway lineup will probably look like:

Firebird - SOLF - MOLF - [Insanity/Mantis/Spear] - Nemesis

with the Crave and Relay slotting in as slower alternatives for straight shots and hyzer flips.

Blowing the bag up was not one of my goals for this year, but this should give me enough fuel to tinker with for a while.

Spring bag rebuild has been going pretty well. Slowly moving tightening things up as I get used to these new discs. Right now I'm bagging

Wizard x2
Plasma Envy
300 A3
400 A3
Z Meteor
Z Buzzz
Plasma Crave - this thing is a workhorse and I'm loving it
Neutron Relay- overlaps with the Crave since it's heavy and new but it has a ton of potential
Color Glow FB
1.2 SOLF
1.3 MOLF
Big Z Mantis
PFN Star Wraith
Fuzion Trespass

Flex Spots:
Legend Nemesis- trying to learn rollers
Lucid Verdict - I rarely throw this at my home course

On the bench: an OS Wraith/Photon, a beat up 400 A3 that is more workable, flippier Trespass, more OS Firebird

I'm really liking my core bag and my tournament bag has plenty of room for my flex/bench discs that I only want on certain courses. The OLF has been a revelation and I really love the Crave as a complement. I'm hoping to beat in my Relay and Meteor to be more reliably flippy and then I'll be pretty happy with my setup.

The Insanity is an awesome disc but will be a backup for my beat MOLF for now. It has a really nice amount of stability and flies nice forehand.

Played in the Etowah Mud Swap doubles tournament with my buddy yesterday and ended up finishing middle of the pack. Shot a lukewarm -5 at Deerfield courtesy of minimal warmup and some uninspired putting, but warmed up over the break and shot a much better -8 at Etowah with some howling wind (for Georgia).

Also made out like a bandit at the swap meet portion and picked up three more Craves (175 beat up PP Proton, 173 newer run Plasma, and a beat 160 Hokom Neutron) of which hopefully one+ will be flippy, a Foundation Ti Swirl Meteor, and a flippy GStar Shryke to mess with for max distance.

I ended up throwing the more overstable slots in my bag a lot to fight the wind and lugged around my BP1 V2

Wizards x 2
Plasma Envy
300 A3 - haven't been clicking with this as much as it straightens out
Beat 400 A3
Flat 400 A3 (beefy)
Z Meteor
Z Buzzz
Plasma Crave
Glow Champ Firebird
Color Glow Firebird
1.2 SOLF
1.3 MOLF
Big Z Mantis
Bottom Stamp Star Wraith- fresh and OS but workable
PFN Star Wraith
Fuzion Trespass

Did not throw: flippy A3, Verdict, Relay, Nemesis, flippy Trespass

I traded my buddy my Relay with the hopes that one of my new Craves will be as flippy or flippier with more consistent feel. The heavy unthrown Relay just didn't separate much from my Crave and I like the 6.5 speed. The Verdict is still new to me and I just trust a Buzzz or A3 more right now. Other courses may suit it better. My forehand is feeling really good so the flippy stuff is getting less work since I really struggle to throw rollers. That will be something I try to work on this year. I may try to get a Champion Wraith to be more beef than my bottom stamp Star, or else work the Bio Enforcer I have into the bag.

Did some practice and then played a casual round with a buddy to test a little bit different bag setup based on my new additions:

Wizard X 3 (Glow for putting, flippy Soft, newer Fossil)
Envy
400 A3

Ti Swirl Meteor - did not throw
Z Buzzz
Lucid Verdict - still not sure I need this at OP at least

Plasma Crave
Neutron Hokom Crave- a little flippier than I expected which opens up some possibilities; may be rollable?

FB
SOLF
MOLF
Nemesis

Wraith x 2 (straighter PFN Star, OS Bottom Stamp Star)
GStar Shryke- experimenting with this in the Trespass slot

Other than messing with a Shryke for fun, the two changes I'm testing are dropping the 300 A3 for an extra Wizard and rolling with two Craves.

I don't like carrying a forehand only disc that much when I feel like the Envy can cover the same shots in theory, so I'm carrying an extra throwing Wizard instead to spare my Glow extra wear. Need to spend some time working on my touch with the Envy to evaluate this.

The new Crave is pretty flippy, but it's been windier than normal around here so we'll see how that holds. I may need to adjust how I think about this slot since it seems to be the slow, easy turnover disc I wanted rather than the subtle hyzer flipper my Relay/Leo3 were. As I get used to it I'll be able to tell which US fairway(s) I need. I'm thinking Nemesis or Hatchet as something faster that will hold a turnover seem like the right pairing but tbd.

I'm going to hit YouTube to hopefully learn how to throw rollers and see if that helps me finally conquer the high anny roller I've been failing to execute lately. Any advice on how to get the sky roller shot down would be welcome!

Was feeling frisky and bought a Hex to try out, and then Sunking rolled up to Oregon Park today so I had to show them some love and picked up a 175g 1.5 QOLF- fully expect it to be a beef cake but I really like this gummier plastic, and my SOLF is getting straighter so why not.

Played a partial round and dragged the wife and kids along. I put a Scale back in the bag for upshot comfort and it's gonna stay for now- I've been missing it and I still feel iffy about the Envy for touch shots. I prefer a 300 A3 over either for forehands but maybe I can get that more dialed. Going to drop the Verdict and third Wizard for now. The Hex is really similar to my Buzzz so I need to knock the new off and test it more to see if it sticks. It does feel great.

I'm going to have to put my flippy fairways through some more intentional testing. Between throwing more forehands and my MOLF taking over a lot of hyzer flips, I'm using understable fairways a lot less and differently.

I think I'm going to roll with something like this next round:

Wizard x 2
Scale
Envy

400 A3
Buzzz
Hex
Meteor

Crave x 2 (Plasma, flippy Hokom)
OLF x 3 (Q, S, M)
FB
Nemesis/Hatchet/150g super flippy Valk

Wraith

Flex 17th spot: maybe a 300 A3 or more OS Wraith or extra Wizard

Wizard x 2
Envy
Neutron Hex
SP Quake
(Flippy Crave)
1.5 QOLF

Played a round with a small bag on the short tees at OP to test some new discs as well as put in work with my Envy. I didn't end up using my flippy Crave because of the layout, but so far I really like the QOLF and Quake (recent trade acquisition). The 1.5 QOLF was much more workable than I expected based on some reviews, but it still had some nice skippiness. It's more stable than my SOLF I think but much straighter than my Firebirds. The Quake has a tick or two more stability than my Verdict and is much easier to get distance with than a beefy A3. It may be a small slot but I think it makes a lot more sense in the bag than a Verdict when I'm carrying my Shift.

The Envy is on paper a super versatile disc, but I am really struggling with feeling comfortable with it. Mentally, it's just fast and overstable enough that I almost feel intimidated into fluffing or over-torquing my shots. Forehands require a lot of focus with it which is not desirable. I think it needs to ride pine for a bit while I see if I miss it.

The Hex I got is a Buzzz. I had some nice shots with it and some weird release issues on others that were probably just sloppy throws. I'm going to give it some more air time to see if it separates itself, but I'm not sure there's a reason to bag both it and a Buzzz right now. Maybe it just needs to have the new knocked off of it more.

I'm going to play more small bag rounds like this to try and dial in these new additions and check for overlap.

Played a nice afternoon round yesterday from the gold tees at OP. I left the distance drivers at home to have more room to practice with approach discs and mids.

Wizards x 2
Scale
400 A3

Hex
Meteor

Crave x 2 (Plasma, flippy Hokom)
OLF x 2 (M, S)
FB

Didn't throw: 300 A3, KJ 400 A3, Quake, QOLF, Nemesis, Buzzz

Threw my OLFs and flippy Crave a ton with pretty good results. I've been trying to get more comfortable with the flippy Crave so I used it in some holes where I might prefer a different disc but it held up well. Just need to dial in the hyzer flip to turnover with it.

The Scale did a ton of work on upshots and it felt great forehand. I'll probably only carry 1-2 A3s from now on between the Scale and Quake additions.

The Hex/Buzzz didn't get much work from the long tees so the competition there is still ongoing.

Played 16/18 from the short tees with my buddy this morning.

Wizards x 3 (fresh Hemp & Fossil, flippy Soft)
Scale
400 A3
Meteor
Hex
Quake
SOLF

I've been carrying more and different Wizards lately to mix things up and because I don't think I throw them enough. My Super Glow is my favorite right now but I do wish I had more of the old stiff Fossil Wizards.

I'm going to just keep throwing the Hex I guess- it's still not really separating itself but it feels and looks nice.

The Quake has been a great addition even though the gap it fills is a little small. I'm throwing it when a Firebird feels like too much disc and I don't want to muscle an A3.

I wasn't throwing the SOLF well today but I am loving how straight and long Orions are. Super happy with them as my control drivers.

Finally got back out to play a lunch round from the short tees at OP and shoot pretty well. I've been dealing with some back (dang deadlifts) and plant knee issues that I'm going to need to work on to keep them from getting worse.

My goal was to really commit to throwing my Hex and it was a workhorse. I really love how clean of a release on forehand I get as compared to some taller mids I've thrown. I bought it to complement my Buzzz but it's making me want to bench the Buzzz and maybe snag a Reactor instead. I'll have to keep an eye out for one locally.

The Scale has also been a great re-addition to the bag. It's such a comfortable approach disc I'm really tempted to get one of the new Armor ones but I'm not sure I have a spot for it next to my A3s.

I haven't been able to play much the past few months, so my bag hasn't been changing. I absentmindedly left my bag behind for our road-trip up to Detroit, but was fortunate to be able to swing by Pluto Sports in Knoxville (5 minutes off the interstate!) and grab three discs.

I played 12 holes of Idlewild on the way up and Buckhorn Green in Michigan with:

DX Invader (lost at Buckhorn)
Fission Reactor
1.5 MOLF

I did not jive with the Invader, so good riddance. If you're a Detroit local, it's free for the taking on hole 9. The Reactor though is fantastic. I had a blast throwing it on both courses. It's definitely making the bag permanently. The MOLF flew great and will be a nice backup for my cycle.

My scores were so-so but it was awesome being able to play in two new states and cross off a bucket list course. I'll have to do some tinkering for the next time I play a three disc round but it was a good attempt.

I haven't been able to play much the past few months, so my bag hasn't been changing. I absentmindedly left my bag behind for our road-trip up to Detroit, but was fortunate to be able to swing by Pluto Sports in Knoxville (5 minutes off the interstate!) and grab three discs.

I played 12 holes of Idlewild on the way up and Buckhorn Green in Michigan with:

DX Invader (lost at Buckhorn)
Fission Reactor
1.5 MOLF

I did not jive with the Invader, so good riddance. If you're a Detroit local, it's free for the taking on hole 9. The Reactor though is fantastic. I had a blast throwing it on both courses. It's definitely making the bag permanently. The MOLF flew great and will be a nice backup for my cycle.

My scores were so-so but it was awesome being able to play in two new states and cross off a bucket list course. I'll have to do some tinkering for the next time I play a three disc round but it was a good attempt.

so was it slim pickins at pluto or was that your choices out of a stocked up store

so was it slim pickins at pluto or was that your choices out of a stocked up store

It had really impressive stock- lots of brands I rarely or never see in stores. I tried to go with discs that I could forehand and backhand well and that wouldn't flounder in the wind. The Invader was a case of refusing to pay $16 for a Soft Wizard, but I've been wanting to try a Reactor for a while and I knew what an OLF would do.

Played a round at Frog Rock with my in-laws and had an abysmal front 9 (+9) but mostly turned it around with -2 on the back 9. Lots of early releases that held too much hyzer and I was feeling the combination of lack of playing time the past few months and not feeling confident in my plant knee. Made some mental adjustments that helped a lot but I'm eager to get back out more frequently the rest of the year.

Bag was

Wizards x 2 (Glow, flippy Soft)
Scale
400 A3

Quake
Reactor
Hex
Meteor

Crave x 2 (flippy, PP Plasma)

FB
OLF x 3 (M, S, Q)
Nemesis

Photon
Wraith (PFN Star)
Shryke

Didn't throw: FB, QOLF, Nemesis, Photon

I leaned heavily on the more understable stuff in my bag while I worked through timing issues (MOLF, flippy Crave, Meteor, Shryke) but I was reluctant to pull out the Nemesis so I either need to practice with it or put the Mantis back in the bag (or maybe my Hatchet/flippy Valk).

The Shryke in particular performed admirably on hyzerflips since I don't have any Wraiths beat to that place. A Trespass might have done the same thing but it was fun to try something new.

I really like this midrange lineup. The Reactor and Hex were enough different today that I feel good about carrying both.

Played a cold (scoring) hot (weather) round at OP from Gold. I was pretty pooped by the end from sweating and pushing my ever growing toddler in the jogging stroller (her round first in a few months) so I finished kinda flat on the easier holes. Totally worth it to watch her try to throw and putt her minis.

Wizards x 3 (New Glow, New SS, Old Flippy Soft)
Scale
A3

Meteor
Hex
Reactor
(Quake)

Plasma Crave
OLF x 2 (S, beat M)
21 Sexton
Big Z Mantis
150g Champ Valk

Star Wraith
GStar Shryke

I picked up some new Wizards and a 21 Sexton Firebird in a trade recently so I took them out for a spin. I got several SS Wizards and I really like these newer ones for throwing.

The Quake feels situational but I otherwise really like this midrange lineup. I may try to work in my more overstable 400 A3 as well as space allows.

I have been feeling iffy about my flippy Crave and Nemesis pairing so I subbed in my trusty Mantis and a flippy lightweight Valk and I was a fan. The Valk is super fun to throw and doesn't take much to get it turning. I'm going to try and pick up a Sidewinder to see how it compares to my Mantis since I'm not a big fan of the rim anymore.

Played a fun but sloppy round with my in-laws on Labor Day at OP Gold.

Wizards x 3 (New SSS, New SS, Old Flippy Soft)
Scale
A3

Meteor
Hex
Reactor
Quake

Plasma Crave
OLF x 2 (S, beat M)
21 Sexton
Big Z Mantis
150g Champ Valk

Star Wraith
GStar Shryke
Fuzion Trespass

1. I kinda miss my Comets… I think they'll get a spin again soon, fast mids lineup consistency be damned

2. Trying to sort out which A3/Quake/FB combo is going to have the best coverage with least overlap. I'm tempted to bag 2-3 A3s but that's a lot.

3. Understable fairways are kinda all over the place right now. Lots of potential lineups to play with but similarly to the OS mid/approach situation, I don't want to have so much overlap that I get analysis paralysis on the course (that's what this thread is for. Ideally it's 2-3 out of the following, no more than one per category.

Fast hyzerflip: Big Z Mantis, Platinum Spear
Fast very understable: 150 Valk, Nemesis, Hatchet
Slow understable: Hokom Crave

Haven't been able to play much but I have been doing some buying and trading to test some new discs for underperforming slots.

2x Sidewinders (a PFN Star and a F2 Champ) - I'm hoping these will fill the US fairway slot

GStar Wraith - looking for some flippy Wraiths

Mint Apex Lobster - hoping for some more turn than my Meteors

Glitch - just had to try it

Hoping to get a round in soon to test them out. The Glitch has been fun to throw in the yard but it remains to be seen if I'm just excited about it or if it's different from my flippy Wizard.

Played a few holes at a new local 9 hole church course and got some throws in the field there with the new additions. I'm hoping to get out to play more after a pretty busy summer/fall and will be auditioning new discs and trying to tighten up my bag again to better suit the courses that are closer to me now after my move (Etowah/Deerfield).

US Mids: Meteor (incumbent) v Apex Lobster v K1 Svea

My Meteors are more Z Comet stability when I want something flippier- the ongoing struggle. The Lobster is pretty flippy so we'll see if it's squirrely in the woods or not. The Svea is seemingly in the middle of my Meteors and Lobsters. It reminds me of a beadless Comet and could be a huge surprise winner.

Glitch: This thing is so fun. It plus the Scale are a dynamic duo. I'm looking forward to limit testing it.

Sidewinders: I picked up three- a worn PFN Star, new Star, and lightly used Champ. I only brought the new Star with me but will bring all three next time. We'll see if there's enough variance between them to bag two at this time.

I also picked up some new Wraiths- a GG Halo, domey F2 GStar, and reportedly flippy Star. I'm hoping the Halo will cover very windy days and one of the GStar or flippy Star will slot in to the understable end of my cycle.

Got a chance to play Gatewood Park and I really like it. I think when the rough gets worn in a little more it will really shine.

Wizards x 3 (Glow x 2 for putting, SS thrower)
Scale
Glitch
400 A3

Quake
Reactor
Hex
Svea
Lobster

Crave

Sexton FB
OLF x 2 (S, M)
Star Sidewinder x 2 (new, used PFN)

Wraith x 3 (Halo, Star, GStar)

The Glitch is fantastic. I threw it a ton and I was really pleased with how versatile it is.

Svea vs Lobster is going to be a slugfest because they are both awesome. Lobster feels like a Hex and the Svea reminds me of a beadless Comet. I'm probably going to make myself choose the Lobster but the Svea will get plenty of chances at the bag. Especially if I want to carry fewer than 4 mids to a given course.

I'm intrigued by Sidewinders. I lost the new one unfortunately, but have a third waiting in the wings. They aren't nearly as flippy as I expected which makes me interested in trying one in GStar as well as a Roadrunner. I do love that they forehand great and can do a lot of flippy MOLF things out of the box.

The used Star Wraith I picked up was pretty normal stability unfortunately- was hoping for more turn. The GStar is very domey with a ton of glide so it got most of the distance throws.

2023 Beginning of Year Update

Goals:

My 2022 goals were a mixed bag- we welcomed our second child and also moved, so I played much less disc golf than I originally anticipated.

I played in one tournament, and hope to play in at least two this year.

I definitely improved my forehand, but I'd like to now shift back to cleaning up my backhand form. I also am determined to practice putting regularly.

Bag Update:

My bag has changed a ton in the past year. Only 3 of the 14 molds from my starting 2022 bag are still bagged. I do really like the direction I have moved now that forehand versatility matters more to me, and want to focus on gaining familiarity with these molds.

Putt and Approach:

Wizards- Not going anywhere. One for putting and one for throwing.

Bergs- New mold #1, subbing for my Scale. K1 is awesome but I also like my K3. I don't know if I need to carry two yet but I'm starting out that way.

Zone- New mold #2, replacing my A3. I just haven't been able to click with my beefy A3 and my beat in one is too flippy. Rather than chasing flat A3s, I picked up a Z and ESP Zone and will feel them out. Millions of disc golfers wouldn't lead me astray.

Glitch- This is the most fun disc I've purchased in a while. It feels unnecessary until it goes in.

Midranges:

I miss my Comets on occasion, but fast mids fit my game well right now and I like the feel better.

SP Quake- Probably the first cut if I need space but I like having a true OS mid.

Fission Reactor- A more comfy Wasp that goes so far.

Neutron Hex- Needs more air time but it kicked the Buzzz based on feel.

Apex Lobster- Feels like the Gyro mids and is flippy- I like it.

Fairways:

Plasma Crave- Kind of a Jack of all trades, master of none disc. I could probably throw it more than I do and want to work on adding distance with it. Holds the release angle and is a great complement to my other fairways.

Orion LFs- Where have you been all my life? This started the bag tear down and it's now my go to control driver. I'm bagging one Q and 1-2 M.

Firebird- Self explanatory. Carrying a 2021 Sexton right now.

Barsby Roadrunner- New mold #3. I think this is the right US 9 speed for me but I need to spend time with it.

Distance Drivers:

Wraiths- It's been great to add these back to the bag. Very comfortable and versatile drivers for me. I'm bagging 2-3 in a mix of Star and Pro.

TP Destiny- New mold #4. My wife got me a deco dye as a Christmas gift so it's in the bag on courses where there isn't water. My Shryke got stolen so I'm hoping this will be similar and give me some noodle arm distance.

Also Ran (On the Bench):

K1 Svea- It's so Comety and I really like it. I'm planning to carry it when I only want ~2 mids as a pair with my Reactor.

Sidewinders- I think they're too close to seasoned MOLFs for my arm speed but maybe they have a role in the future.

Proline Sail- Got one on a whim at Play It Again so maybe it'll sneak in the bag at some point.

I have backups to all of my core driver molds (Wraith, OLF, Crave, Firebird, Crave, Roadrunner) so I plan to keep the tinkering limited to rotating those in and out.