• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on Fixing a Misshapen Oblong Disc

XC_Eddy

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Tragedy has struck my disc golf bag. Riding in the trunk of my car, my son's stroller shifted while driving and crushed my discs. Not sure how long the stroller was on top of my bag, but all of them are currently oval-shape and feel terrible in the hand to throw. They mostly fly about how they used to, the worst ones with a little bit of noticeable wobble. I bagged mostly high end plastic and many discs that had been in the bag for years and years and a few with aces on them: PFN star wraiths, PFN Star Teebirds, a pearly 11x Teebird, and the old Wizard I've been putting with for over 10 years stand to be the biggest losses. I'm so bummed I could cry. :( Lots of sentimental value here that'll be tough to replace. I have backups, but I'd really like to save these discs if I can.

Now that I'm done telling that my sob story, any advice on attempting to fix my discs before re-working my bag? Digging through the archives of the internet I've seen suggestions of using boiling water on the stove, microwaving discs, leaving them out in the hot sun (it's cooling off here already), leaving them on top of a flat board with a stack of discs or a book on top, putting them in the oven, or even running them in the dishwasher. Most of these suggestions appear to be addressing discs that are bent, warped, or taco'd. I may have a different issue here as my discs are still mostly flat, but they aren't round.

My current idea is to heat up some water to just below boiling on the stove, put the disc in the pot for a couple minutes so that it gets malleable, pull it out with tongs, try to reshape it by hand (with work gloves on if it's too hot to hold), and lay it on a flat surface to cool.

Here are my questions:
-Is my idea terrible or might that actually work?
-Anyone have any experience with discs and hot water? Is there a recommended temperature? I obviously don't want to melt my discs. I read somewhere that 180 is a good temp.
-Have you personally tried any of the other suggestions or anything else that has brought you some success?

I imagine I can figure a lot of this out on my own with trial and error, but figured it was worth a shot to consult the vast collective intellect and stupidity of the disc golf internet first.

Tragedy has struck my disc golf bag. Riding in the trunk of my car, my son's stroller shifted while driving and crushed my discs. Not sure how long the stroller was on top of my bag, but all of them are currently oval-shape and feel terrible in the hand to throw. They mostly fly about how they used to, the worst ones with a little bit of noticeable wobble. I bagged mostly high end plastic and many discs that had been in the bag for years and years and a few with aces on them: PFN star wraiths, PFN Star Teebirds, a pearly 11x Teebird, and the old Wizard I've been putting with for over 10 years stand to be the biggest losses. I'm so bummed I could cry. :( Lots of sentimental value here that'll be tough to replace. I have backups, but I'd really like to save these discs if I can.

Now that I'm done telling that my sob story, any advice on attempting to fix my discs before re-working my bag? Digging through the archives of the internet I've seen suggestions of using boiling water on the stove, microwaving discs, leaving them out in the hot sun (it's cooling off here already), leaving them on top of a flat board with a stack of discs or a book on top, putting them in the oven, or even running them in the dishwasher. Most of these suggestions appear to be addressing discs that are bent, warped, or taco'd. I may have a different issue here as my discs are still mostly flat, but they aren't round.

My current idea is to heat up some water to just below boiling on the stove, put the disc in the pot for a couple minutes so that it gets malleable, pull it out with tongs, try to reshape it by hand (with work gloves on if it's too hot to hold), and lay it on a flat surface to cool.

Here are my questions:
-Is my idea terrible or might that actually work?
-Anyone have any experience with discs and hot water? Is there a recommended temperature? I obviously don't want to melt my discs. I read somewhere that 180 is a good temp.
-Have you personally tried any of the other suggestions or anything else that has brought you some success?

I imagine I can figure a lot of this out on my own with trial and error, but figured it was worth a shot to consult the vast collective intellect and stupidity of the disc golf internet first.
Near boiling water for about a minute followed by some heavy books on top hasn't failed me yet.

Definitely test it on a disc you don't care too much about first. Hope it works out for you.

Heat and natural cooling would be my first effort.

Plastic should want to return to its original shape as long as it hasn't gone past elastic deformation.

You don't want it too hot as it may set the deformation. Try lower heat first. Maybe even a heat lamp.

The mailman jammed some brand new discs in my mailbox where they sat all day in hundred degree weather. Needless to say, when I pulled them out of the package they were pretty jacked up.

I took my wife's hair dryer and heated them and tweaked them back into shape by hand and set them on a flat countertop to cool off.

I imagine your plan for the boiling water would work about as good as anything.

Alas, the round I played today was with the kid. In the stroller.

....... rearranging my trunk asap......

I drive a minivan. My bag stays in the back all the time......which currently also houses a stroller, two bikes, a car jack, and a pile of misc. stuff...... yep. Bags riding shotgun from now on!!!

Can you post some pictures, with another circular object (like a dinner plate) on the same surface for comparison?

I would take a small pot (just smaller then a disc), add water and wait for it to boil. Grab a set of gloves as to not burn hands from steam. Set each disc individually on top of the pot of boiling water for a short period face up until it gets semi hot (5 seconds or so, maybe a bit more). Then knock it off and lay it face up on the counter as to not change the dome configuration. This should allow the disc to get hot enough to allow it to regain it's elastic memory and return to previous shape and not effect the dome. Yes I have done this many times. It works perfectly. :D

Alright, here are some pictures. A little tough to capture on camera. It's most noticeable to me in the close up pictures of the edge.

wGQmLL6.jpg

hHfDr2X.jpg

Orange one is messed up. Pink TB is normal

1CTlaLS.jpg

Og46Pxc

7Ro4Rke.jpg

Giving it a little heat has not been enough to restore the elastic memory. I tried the old man's trick and also tried leaving it in hot but not boiling water for a minute and reshaping by hand with limited success. Now I've got one I heated up sitting under a book to see if that works. So far I'm still sunk :(

I had some F2 Champion Shark 3 176 grams pink that the nearly flat top that the normal production of the two Shark 3 I have are at. The plastic I set into a microwave for only 5 seconds each disc, then would set one disc on top of the other and press on the inside to concave the disc and repeat with the other disc and then keep switching for about 1 hour. Now at least the new Shark 3 that are micro dome bigger then production run is dome to flat top.

Thanks Dave D for making the Lion be the replacement for the Shark 3. :|

Giving it a little heat has not been enough to restore the elastic memo
PHP:
ry. I tried the old man's trick and also tried leaving it in hot but not boiling water for a minute and reshaping by hand with limited success. Now I've got one I heated up sitting under a book to see if that works. So far I'm still sunk :(

Leave it on the heat longer if it doesn't work with lower time. Wait till the plastic is hot to the touch! 5 seconds might not be enough to heat it up, I was just estimating. It might be 10-15. It won't melt from the steam but it may expand some but return to normal after cooling. The problem with using a book is you are flattening the dome which will change the flight. Maybe better, maybe worse. Depending on what you want.

Leave it on the heat longer if it doesn't work with lower time. Wait till the plastic is hot to the touch! 5 seconds might not be enough to heat it up, I was just estimating. It might be 10-15. It won't melt from the steam but it may expand some but return to normal after cooling. The problem with using a book is you are flattening the dome which will change the flight. Maybe better, maybe worse. Depending on what you want.

I'll have to give it another shot. It sounds like I'm not getting it hot enough. Even after sitting in very hot water for a minute it wasn't quite hot to the touch.

I'll have to give it another shot. It sounds like I'm not getting it hot enough. Even after sitting in very hot water for a minute it wasn't quite hot to the touch.

Yeah it has to get hot, very hot! Otherwise you are not doing anything. Maybe even 20-25 seconds or over it. lol I never timed it but it does heat up to the touch on the dome sort of quick. You can see the dome expand some usually as it heats up.

Don't put a disc in the microwave, I tried that before and it melted. :thmbdown:

Oven works OK (180 degree), but it takes a lot longer. Boiling water is the quickest and safest I think. Or should I say steam from the pot. I think the melting temp must be much higher then 220. I would guess 300+.

So I went closer to 25-30 seconds. The flight plate does get hot and expands like you said, and then cools back down and finds its shape. Great for warped discs for sure. Unfortunately, it's the rim that I'm having trouble getting to change shape. The rim is a lot thicker than the flight plate and takes more energy to heat up. The rim is where my problems are :(. I'm still not getting the discs back to circular. I have seen a little improvement just heating them up and letting them cool, but not back to where they were yet. Steam does work very well as a means to heat the disc up, so thank you for that suggestion. I'll keep playing with finding the heating point where the disc is malleable but not melting.

Latest posts