• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I pushing my thumb down too hard??

snowslydder

Watching the disc golf monthly clinics they talk about pushing down on the top of the disc with the whole thumb muscle to ensure a good snap release. So I have been using this by placing my thumb 1-1 1/2 from the rim and pushing it into my my fingers. (I am using a power grip) Lately I have had a bad problem with the disc turn over to the right at the end or never fading. I assume this is what they talk about when they say flipping the disc. I am wonder if it is because of my thumb pushing down on the dome to much or it might just be my release. I throw the archon star, katana star, and the Valkyrie star.

I would appreciate any input and thanks for your time

Each of those disc can be thrown with some anhyzer and staying at that angle to the ground. To avoid that you may need to throw with a hyzer to flip the disc to flat, throw higher, push less down with the wrist and the thumb or use a disc that won't flip as much and can take more power or flex and fade more reliably. Then there is the question of cleanliness of your form. Do you wrist roll clockwise? Does your arm drop down in the follow through and does the thumb point up? It should point down. Does the disc stick to or scrape the fingers? All of those can flip your disc.

I could be rolling my wrist. I have never paid attention to my thumb before so I will when I play today. I will throw focusing on my thumb and see if that helps

When it comes to the scraping of sticking of the fingers it rips out when I throw it.

Thank you for the help.

this problem is OAT cause because you may be gripping too firmly too early. you have to basically grip firmly at the point of the "pound" (release). just like when they teach you to punch in boxing. that last second twitch that closes your hand.

masterbeato said:
this problem is OAT cause because you may be gripping too firmly too early. you have to basically grip firmly at the point of the "pound" (release). just like when they teach you to punch in boxing. that last second twitch that closes your hand.

Is the disc getting to the peck too early to start the heavy grip? Should it be as close to the hit as possible?

cubeofsoup said:
masterbeato said:

Is the disc getting to the peck too early to start the heavy grip? Should it be as close to the hit as possible?

Here are 2 highly recommended reads related to this topic:

Slip vs. Rip - knowing the point of contact and the drive

Pushing with the thumb: powering through wrist extension

A fundamentally sound grip with good pressure on the inner rim of the disc at the rip/pivot point, the disc on plane with the wrist, and good thumb pressure as you begin to drive through the point of contact are a big part of throwing efficient, powerful shots. Those two threads do a pretty damn good job of explaining why some players can throw effortless looking 450' bombs, while others look like they're expending all the energy they got to throw 350'.

CatPredator said:
Those two threads do a pretty damn good job of explaining why some players can throw effortless looking 450' bombs, while others look like they're expending all the energy they got to throw 350'.

Thank you very much, the latter is totally me :(

Latest posts