• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Android app for Disc Golf enthusiasts

charge

Hello for all the folks here in disc golf review forums!

I noticed that there is a lack of good disc golf scorekeeping app for Android devices and decided to start developing one!
The app is almost finished, but I would like to know what features you would want to see in this app so I could include some of them before the launch : )

In case you have an android phone and would like to know when it is available on Android Market, feel free to subscribe here:

http://www.discnotes.com/

Oh, and it is going to be free!!

your competition:
easy scorecard http://www.mydroidsoft.com/easyscorecard/ has a seriously nice scorecard

good luck I can't wait to see what you come up with

gary

the best scorekeeper on the market imo is dg caddy for iphones and ipods.

these are the following things i love about dg caddy.

- you can save courses with up to four tees
- saved rounds show you date, scorecard, final score, # putts, # penalties, aces/birds/bogeys...etc
- you can change the hole information in round
- save shots/discs you used on holes and rate them
- stats and graphs including ->

overall stats - # of recorded rounds played, average total score, average over/under and a graph of your scores for all rounds with a line showing where your average is at

course stats - graph of rounds per course, hole average graph per course, putt totals per round, avg puts per hole.

things i wish were included

- a place to take notes for holes and courses
- multiple pin placement options
- multiple par options for multiple pin placements
- a place to store course maps
- export data in to database

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely look into those features and see if I can implement some of them :).
Would you be interested in a feature that allows your friends to get push messages whenever you are playing disc golf or get notifications of hole-in-ones or birdies?
And one more thing: anyone aware of a database that holds all or at least most of the disc golf courses in US?

Cheers,
Peku from Finland

peku said:
Thanks for the replies! I will definitely look into those features and see if I can implement some of them :).
Would you be interested in a feature that allows your friends to get push messages whenever you are playing disc golf or get notifications of hole-in-ones or birdies?
And one more thing: anyone aware of a database that holds all or at least most of the disc golf courses in US?

Cheers,
Peku from Finland
dgcr is the only database I know of

I am currently using the Easy Scorecard for the droid system, mentioned earlier.
And like Steve said, dgcoursereview has an extensive db of courses, holes, lengths, etc...

One thing that would interest me most would be a function that calculates the rating of your round.
It may be a little much to ask for...but I thought that's what this thread was about.

Good luck with the development of your app, I can't wait to see it in action.

I use Easy Scorecard Pro. So far the best one I've used. Haven't used all of it's functions though.

Options I would like:
disc(s) thrown and how. Have this show up next time playing hole
round rating
multiple tees / pins
ability to measure a hole on the fly. Point a to b and not by walking distance.

Also record lat/long. for tee and pin placements

discthrower3 said:
I use Easy Scorecard Pro. So far the best one I've used. Haven't used all of it's functions though.

Options I would like:
round rating
multiple tees / pins

I poked around on the app store for a bit and didn't find anything that really caught my attention. But would like a good Iphone app.

I like the ideas here, except the record lat/lon for pin and tee placements. This ability could very well end up making the app a "range finder" after the fact and might preclude it's use? Forgive me if my newbie'ish'ness is reading that wrong.

Cuthahotha said:
discthrower3 said:

Options I would like:
round rating
multiple tees / pins

I poked around on the app store for a bit and didn't find anything that really caught my attention. But would like a good Iphone app.

I like the ideas here, except the record lat/lon for pin and tee placements. This ability could very well end up making the app a "range finder" after the fact and might preclude it's use? Forgive me if my newbie'ish'ness is reading that wrong.

I guess I could have worded that a little different. Wasn't meant to become a "rangefinder", but merely as a tool to check / correct distances on the courses. Most useful when creating new pin or tee placements. Having lat/lon for first hole at least, so one can find it, if one has never been to a course. I've been to many courses trying to find that first tee.

Agree 100%. Actually I think the rule about range finders is old, antiquated, and ought to be removed. Even ball golf has removed the rule. Ball golf courses have all kind of ranger helpers all over the course. 75, 100, 150, 200 yard markers. Sprinkler heads with yardage to green on them. And as of the last few years lots of GPS based (including Iphone/android/blackberry) devices that help you with distance. Upper end golf courses even include nice big GPS devices in the golf carts.

I know this thread is about android apps, and apologize to the OP, but it wouldn't be hard to build an iPhone (sorry I don't do android development, just Windows 7 Phone and iPhone) app that could do this all pretty well.

Latest posts