• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another 1st post intro....

tylerdurden

My name is Greg and I JUST joined this site.
I too looked around a bit for an intro section and after seeing the other guys thread decided to post it here.
I started playing disc golf 2 weeks ago, up untill then I didnt know the sport even existed. My semi recently new girlfried plays with her friends and they are very good. Some have been playing for 10+ years. I went out and played with them a couple weeks ago using a couple of their old discs and LOVE IT! On the way home I went to sports authority and bought a few discs I had no idea that they were all so different. I ended up with a champ sidewinder and a stingray and a 2,3,0,-1 putter.
Iv been throwing in a park near my house and getting better at consistancy and form. (which is all im aiming for right now) soon ill be working on accuracy then power.
Id like to think that Im a fast learner and can handle more expierenced discs but i know that isnt how it works. Any suggestions on discs I should be starting off with?
Well... thats about it. Glad to be a member ready to start running through this forum

nice first disc choices, most new players get the latest greatest driver they can not handle :thmbup:

My name is Greg and I JUST joined this site.
I too looked around a bit for an intro section and after seeing the other guys thread decided to post it here.
I started playing disc golf 2 weeks ago, up untill then I didnt know the sport even existed. My semi recently new girlfried plays with her friends and they are very good. Some have been playing for 10+ years. I went out and played with them a couple weeks ago using a couple of their old discs and LOVE IT! On the way home I went to sports authority and bought a few discs I had no idea that they were all so different. I ended up with a champ sidewinder and a stingray and a 2,3,0,-1 putter.
Iv been throwing in a park near my house and getting better at consistancy and form. (which is all im aiming for right now) soon ill be working on accuracy then power.
Id like to think that Im a fast learner and can handle more expierenced discs but i know that isnt how it works. Any suggestions on discs I should be starting off with?
Well... thats about it. Glad to be a member ready to start running through this forum
welcome from another new play and new site member!

nice first disc choices, most new players get the latest greatest driver they can not handle :thmbup:
im starting to think i did that :thmbdown: but im not sure i bought a innova 3 disc set from dunhams sporting goods

Welcome.

Your picks are great for beginners and finesse players.
Seems innova brand is what's avaible so ill go on that...

An Avair putter is the flagship of most putters- there's many differnt feels of plastic, if I threw avairs, I'd prob go yeti avairs.

The stingray is a great finesse mid and one of the easiest to get to go straight or to the right. Paired with a roc, it makes a mid combo great for players of any skill level.

For drivers, I'd suggest a t bird and a leopard. Leopard is like a driver stingray (kinda) and the tbird like a roc (kinda). This combo, again, is used by pro to rec players.

Slower discs can go just as far as faster ones, so don't get caught believing faster equates to longer, they just get there quicker and on lower lines. Slower discs will be easier to get up to speed and fly how they're supposed to, thus making them more controlable and versitile.

im starting to think i did that :thmbdown: but im not sure i bought a innova 3 disc set from dunhams sporting goods

3 disc set is usually Leopard, Shark, Aviar. All good beginner discs.
Apes, Xcalibers, and wraiths are not in beginner packs

Yeah I tried to edit as fast as I could, I didn't quite read the bold letters and though you meant the high speed stuff lol.

I like the OP's 3 better than the starter kit. Personally I would go with a 160 Champ Leopard, 170 DX Roc, and any putter besides the Polecat, Birdie, or Sonic as a starter kit. (I do not think my beloved Rhynos are great starter putters either, but I never turn people away from Rhynos)

I prefer the feel of an R-Pro Aviar to any other putters out there. Especially a super gummy JK Pro Aviar-X, or any tummy aviars for that matter :).

If the Stingray had a little midrange brother it would be the Panther. Panther is a fine disc for beginners.

that's where I got my kit this week... Had them on sale for $19.99... But through a fortunate mishap I got the Champion kit for the same price... (reg $40) I really wanted just the Aviar but did some quick aearching on the panther and said it's not a bad starter... So I bought it and figured the valyrie won't "rot" before I learn to use it... It can just sit at home!

good luck on learning quick... I hope I do! Lol.. Haven't been able to throw yet... (might drive out to Warren... Heard there's someone in the area that knows their stuff)...

problem I'm having is getting the wife to go with me!

oh yeah & I hope the girls didn't beat up on you to bad....

sean

If you come out to warren, hit me up, ill pm you my number. While I might always do the right thing, I can show the right thing in slow mo to someone else and let them get better than me lol.

We have two course across the street from each other, young's run is 18 holes with varying elevation, water, woods and open shots. Kent state is a 9 hole, all open with some water, trees and mandos involved, couple long holes.

I'd love to show you both courses if you get into it.

that's where I got my kit this week... Had them on sale for $19.99... But through a fortunate mishap I got the Champion kit for the same price... (reg $40) I really wanted just the Aviar but did some quick aearching on the panther and said it's not a bad starter... So I bought it and figured the valyrie won't "rot" before I learn to use it... It can just sit at home!

good luck on learning quick... I hope I do! Lol.. Haven't been able to throw yet... (might drive out to Warren... Heard there's someone in the area that knows their stuff)...

problem I'm having is getting the wife to go with me!

oh yeah & I hope the girls didn't beat up on you to bad....

sean
did u get it cause they had it posted right next to the set for 19.99 with the other set? if so i got that aswell but i havent even took those discs with me

Welcome to the site from a fellow noob to the site! Been playing for about a year and love the sport. Get ready to get addicted!:thmbup:

Welcome to the site tylerdurden. Good to see yet another GA guy on the site.

Latest posts