• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any tips on how this beginner can start to improve?

Ericular

OK, I just discovered disc golf a couple months ago, and I love it. I live near a beginner-friendly 9 hole course and I've played it 15-20 times now. I've decided that accuracy will gain you more strokes than an extra 50' of distance on this course, so that's what I've practiced.

Now, however, I'm trying to work on getting a little more distance. I feel like I've plateaued in that area. If I don't worry about a run-up and huge wind up, I usually throw 200' with decent accuracy. If I try a run-up and throw hard I might hit 250', but the accuracy suffers so much it's not even worth it.

The discs I use are:

Impact (166g) - Driver
Buzz (166g) - Good for a slight hyzer
Meteor (165g) - Works well for anhyzer
Putt'r (173g) - Nice soft putter I guess

I chose these from Discraft's chart, going with their "Recommended for Beginners" discs in each category. I have gradually become consistent enough to notice each disc's flight path differences, but still feel like the majority of my disc flight is in the "low-speed" motion.

Should I just forget about distance and keep practicing accuracy? I just doubt I'll ever start throwing any farther unless I actually work on a certain aspect of my throw. What's my next goal? A certain grip? A certain run-up? Using my hips somehow to get more power? Doing something with my arm to get more speed on the disc? Get a new disc? (I have a feeling it's not the discs)...

Sorry this is so long... I just am confused on how everybody progresses to throwing 300+ feet. Is it natural or do you have to intentionally introduce something new to your throw?

THANKS!

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say, Dan Beato vid on youtube.

Yeah, that's a good one.
Just go out to an open field and throw some discs around. Pay close attention to what works and what doesn't work (keep notes?).
Try going to www.discgolfreview.com (please don't hurt me Timg) and read some of the instructional articles on there. I recommend Dave Dunipace's 'Distance Secrets'.

go into an empty field and throw, throw until you cant throw any more, then throw more, learn what each disc dose for you, and the main thing, be consitant. i always start in the same place on the tee because being constant is the best way to get good, and stay good.

Ohh and dont watch youtube vids, do whats comftorable for you, not what works for someone else.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Obviously some things may not work for him but there are a lot more that will. It's up to him to sort out what does and doesn't work for him.

You may get more distance on your drive with an AvengerSS or the more difficult to find Wildcat.
When you grow out of that (turning it over) go with the Avenger. I think the next step up in stability is the Surge, they also make a SurgeSS.
Keeping working on the run up. You will be throwing with your core as well, instead of just your arm. Arm speed is important but keep in mind the motion of a baseball player when he swings, he uses his entire body.

Even though it was not your question, I want to first say that you should try to learn to throw forehand (in addition to backhand) while you are still learning so you will be just as comfortable as BH as your game progresses.

As far as distance, I would first recommend learning a better grip. I assume you are placing all four fingers under the rim, but if not that is the first place to start. And just because you are doesn't mean your grip is right- I had a local pro show me how to get the disc in the "seam" of my hand and it has made my BH longer and more comfortable.

And if you can find local doubles, go play and ask pros for advice (don't worry about being new). Most are happy to help you, a few may even offer to do some field work with you.

go into an empty field and throw, throw until you cant throw any more, then throw more, learn what each disc dose for you, and the main thing, be consitant. i always start in the same place on the tee because being constant is the best way to get good, and stay good.
I second that . That is some of the best advice given.

Ohh and dont watch youtube vids, do whats comftorable for you, not what works for someone else.
I totally disagree with that. Dan Beato's video on youtube is the main reason i broke the 300' mark and beyond. The main ones to stay away from are the "expert village" idiots.

First i see is you say you run up and throw hard. I have been playing for about a year now and i can say the one thing i learned is throwing hard gets you no where but injured. Slow down and work on the form that Dan beato demonstrates on his video. Start off being deliberate in your pull back, acceleration, snap and follow thru. Don't worry about distance or accuracy but more on the correct form using ideas from dan beato video that are comfortable for you. Then slowly start to do a full motion throw. Once you feel comfortable with your form then let it rip in the sense of a fluid motion not power. It really works. I went from a 250' thrower at best, trying to throw as hard as I could to now reaching the 350' mark using form not power. My accuracy is coming around more and more and i am not hurting myself trying to over power the disc.

As far as grip the power grip is definitely the better grip. I use a 3 finger power grip because it is more comfortable for me. You have to experiment with the right grip and find the one you like.

The avenger SS is a amazing disc and really just an awesome disc to learn with. I have only recently removed it from my bag because i am starting to throw the r-pro bosses in lighter weights. Once you get the avenger SS down then look at the surge SS. This disc will always be in my bag. It is a great disc and has an awesome S curve when needed.

I still have alot to learn but just listening to what the pros and others have told me and showed me(on youtube) has vastly improved my game.

I agree that the articles on Disc Golf Review are all excellent. The grip one will be particlularly helpful and the rest of them combined with the Dan Beto video should keep you going for a long time. IMO, the Dan Beto video is the best single video for learning the backhand throw. The Discraft video where the guy helps the three dudes gain distance is good as well, but it mostly shows a couple common mistakes and some drills to fix them. Asking questions and taking videos of yourself and posting them here are both excellent ideas as well.

As for disc selection, I hightly recommend a more stable putter. If you want to stick with Discraft the Challenger or Banger-GT are great choices but the Big Bead Aviar (JK or KC versions), Wizard, Warlock or Voodoo are all really good putters that are useful for people of all skill levels (I use Wizards). If you want something a bit less overstable the regular DX Aviar P&A, Magnet or Magic are also good choices. Learning to drive with these types of putters will teach you a ton about gaining distance an accuracy. The Putt'r is too flippy to really use for driving and even a lot of approaches. It's also bad for putting with any wind and can leave longer comebacks because of how floaty it is at low speeds.

I really learned alot about how to create more snap and power from the articles on disc golf review. I also got some great putting advise. But in the end it comes down to practise, practise, practise.

I really learned alot about how to create more snap and power from the articles on disc golf review. I also got some great putting advise. But in the end it comes down to practise, practise, practise.

Its spelled "practice" by the way.:D

try working on the X step - the youtube vids are great just to get a rough idea of how it's supposed to look - usually when someone describes something i have no idea what the hell is going on. a video that shows it is so much more valuable

just throwing a ton in a field is great to learn the discs - don't spend all the time going for pure distance - as u'll find when you are on a course you won't be throwing with as much wreckless abandon.

One thing that I did that really helped me get better overall. If you live near a soccer field. I would stand by the net and throw every disc in my bag as far and as strait as I could. Then go out to the disc and throw them back and try to get them in the net. On the long throws I could see how far I was throwing by the lines on the field. On the way back I would practice my control and accuracy trying to get it in the net. Then bye a basket to practice putting at home.

I was doing what was comfortable for me, and it turned out my grip was not helpful with my distance. I was doing more of a putting grip for my initial drive (fingers fanned out, index finger on outside rim of disc). My husband was explaining to me the power grip but I told him it wasn't comfortable. After watching the Discraft distance video on Youtube and saw the power grip explained, it was very clear to me.

Since the original poster doesn't seem to have DG buddies to go out with and get pointers from, I see no harm in watching videos. I am not copying exactly what is in the videos, I use them as guides to fit into what I feel is comfortable for myself and what also improves my game.

Latest posts