• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Attn: sidewinder22 RE: Shoulder swing counter-clockwise for putting stroke

Nick Pacific

Eagle Member
I think it allows my shoulder to swing more to target counter-clockwise, so it's the opposite of driving. I load the shoulder back open into the right hip more like a horseshoe putt.

You mentioned this in that thread about putting. I didn't understand what you meant at the time, but something about this stuck in my mind for whatever reason and it has been something I've been pondering and working on over this last month. I think now I'm starting to figure out just what you meant.

You're definitely on to something here, something just clicked in my stroke trying this and man does it feel right. Swing from down to up with the shoulder moving in a counter-clockwise motion towards the target with the hand leading the way while the fingers spring towards the upper half of the chains.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You mentioned this in that thread about putting. I didn't understand what you meant at the time, but something about this stuck in my mind for whatever reason and it has been something I've been pondering and working on over this last month. I think now I'm starting to figure out just what you meant.

You're definitely on to something here, something just clicked in my stroke trying this and man does it feel right. Swing from down to up with the shoulder moving in a counter-clockwise motion towards the target with the hand leading the way while the fingers spring towards the upper half of the chains.

Thank you.
I think this implies a fairly non standard putt though, no? Maybe I am not understanding :)

Interesting Jake changes legs. I prefer right leg forward or straddled like Nikko.

When I do any pitch putts, ... crap. I can't remember sitting here at 530am.
I'm pretty sure I use my off leg.

Because I do 2 different underhand putts/throws.

Crap. I don't wanna leave comfy chair for this.

Yeah, off leg.
Just horseshoe toss.

Everything else is right leg forward. Even on straddles if I can help it. Especially on straddles so i can use my hips if I need extra.
No need for this jumping about like a cat stuff these people do.

I think this implies a fairly non standard putt though, no? Maybe I am not understanding :)
My normal standard putt. It feels as though my stroke starts from below (5 or 6 o'clock?) and finishes at an 11pm follow through, and it all flows in a very slight counter-clockwise motion. The target is at 12pm while my hand follows through to 11pm.

The way the shoulder joint/socket flows through the stroke has a very counter-clockwise feel as it shoots towards the target from low to high.

Last edited:
My normal standard putt. It feels as though my stroke starts from below (5 or 6 o'clock?) and finishes at an 11pm follow through, and it all flows in a very slight counter-clockwise motion. The target is at 12pm while my hand follows through to 11pm.

The way the shoulder joint/socket flows through the stroke has a very counter-clockwise feel as it shoots towards the target from low to high.
Interesting! I think honestly I do the same thing when I (very casually) play corn hole. After I learned how to putt I found myself just using my right foot forward stance, but pulling the arm in a more horseshoe throw way with the bean bags haha.

I do get that this is your standard putt, but you aren't saying that this is what most people seem to do when putting right? Still trying to make sure I fully understand but if we are talking about putts that look more like that video above I get it.

My putt definitely feels like it has a LOT in common with any other swing I do.

Kinda funny but at the putting league I attend and sometimes run, we play a cornhole-rules putting competition as a second event many nights. The bar we were using also has real cornhole, and I played a few times. Not very good. My close friend told me to just "putt" and I immediately got dramatically better. I guess a Reverse Hebenheimer. 🤣