• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Isaac Robinson's mechanics

These mechanics are at least good enough for two Majors in 2023 including 1x World Champ. Dayum!

UPPlIB9.gif

vMwG9A5.gif

My9XNE3.gif

Isaac always looks like he's throwing VERY nose-down with a VERY high trajectory.
Yeah, and he loves that ~30+ degrees of hyzer release letting the disc flip up as long as possible to achieve straight-ish shots.

That 3rd gif in my last post is one of the lowest golf distance lines I've seen him throw (probably since he's already elevated relative to the fairway) and he's still doing a version of that shot. That line is still carrying somewhat high relative to the teebox I think.

I recall someone, maybe Isaac or Gannon, talking about how Gannon throws drivers farther than Isaac, but Isaac throws mids farther than Gannon. It was either on that Jomez practice round for DGLO, or somewhere else recently. But that would be interesting for form gurus to analyze.

I recall someone, maybe Isaac or Gannon, talking about how Gannon throws drivers farther than Isaac, but Isaac throws mids farther than Gannon. It was either on that Jomez practice round for DGLO, or somewhere else recently. But that would be interesting for form gurus to analyze.
That's interesting - it might be because of Isaac's preferred trajectory. If Isaac always prefers to use those higher lines with more "loft," it gives more time for mids or putters to obtain a full flight.

My favorite pro side by side example is from Simon's video, where at similar throw speeds you can see him tending to lob the mid and putter higher than the drivers (you can find exceptions of course, but most of the time people throw putters & mids higher for distance). Here's an example at ~60 mph. I'd be curious if Isaac also makes the same adjustments, but his form naturally looks like it produces more loft than Gannon's might. Also probably why Isaac likes throwing drivers on hyzer that look more understable in flight.
tl2LZBT.png

Notice there that at 70 mph he throws the putter to a somewhat lower apex than the midrange, and there is a ~70' difference between the two. All that interacts with the disc details, throwing style, exact release angles & line of play, etc.

Last edited:
Also notice also that in the 3rd gif above (lowest trajectory line) Isaac's momentum diffuses back directly away from the target in follow through, whereas in his higher lines he is "decompressing" more vertically back against the ground.

Seekr Disc Golf recorded slow motion backhand form videos of both Gannon and Isaac if you want to evaluate that. This was about a year ago, and I don't think they've tweaked their form dramatically since then:

Gannon Buhr Slow Motion Backhand Form | Every Angle & Distance

Isaac Robinson Slow Motion Backhand Form | Top, Side & Back Angles

I reviewed both videos and the interesting thing I note is at 350 feet they're using a mid, 400 feet a fairway, and 450 feet a distance driver. Also Isaac doesn't have 500 feet examples with a driver, but Gannon does.

It appears to me that Isaac is throwing less stable discs than Gannon, and hyzer flipping them, whereas Gannon is probably flexing more overstable discs more. If you look at their release angles, Isaac's "anhyzer" throws are slight hyzer angles, whereas Gannon uses a true anhyzer release on them.

So if anything the difference here may be hyzer flip vs anhyzer flex. 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts