• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back on the Road Again - Tour Stop #9 (European Marathon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
mxgXVZ4.jpg
Tour Stop #9
European Marathon

We arrived in Stockholm and within an hour of landing we were able to meet up with our entire group that will be traveling with us this year. The lineup is Wysoki, Owens, Mirabel, Knott, Skelenger, Miller, Burbee, Locastro, Brathwaith, Rico, Musick, Goff, Synthya, and myself. That's right! Four rental cars deep! Before we made the drive to Northern Sweden, I decided that we should take everyone to the World Famous Jarva Disc Golf Park. Jarva is one of the World's premier disc golf championship courses.

We made it to Northern Sweden after a 12 hour drive and stayed a night in Sundsvall at the beautiful hotel Boget overlooking the city on the way. We spent the next few days practicing the course and working at the Latitude factory.

The Scandinavian Open challenged the players with some of the toughest weather conditions I have ever seen in a major. The rain was constant, the bugs were prevalent but despite all that, the course was as beautiful as ever. The Skeleaftea course is still one of my favorites because I prefer a style of golf that rewards accuracy but doesn't penalize every missed shot with an out of bounds stroke.

I had a tough start to the event but I played hard, smashed my hand into a tree, and managed a 55 in the final round, and managed to get 4th place. Not bad for a guy who never played one round in the leader group.

After the event, I loaded the group up and we headed to Rovaniemi, Finland, home of the real Santa Clause and Santa's Village. While we were in the Arctic Circle, I've started a new tradition where you take the polar plunge into the freezing cold as our annual cleansing. The first year it was just Wysoki, Locastro, and Owens. This year everybody jumped in (myself included!) with the exception of Brody Miller.

We continued on to Nokia and practiced the course with no sleep (three days of no shut eye). The whole team and I headed to Helsinki and taught a clinic to 80 plus players, and visited the Westside factory. The Westside factory was awesome! I finally got my hands on BT plastic. Thanks Janne!

Last edited:
The President's Cups arrived and I was paired with Ricki Wysoki and we were facing Simon Lizotte and Henrik Johansen. We played well in stroke play taking 1st and 2nd but in the match play, we fell short and had to rely on our teammates. Most of the Americans did really well in stroke play and we had a large lead heading into the match play. We only needed two and a half matches to secure a win and our seventh President's Cup victory. With the women taking one and a half out of the gates, the 6 American males would only need one win to seal the deal. The first four matches went to Europe leaving it up to Mcbeth and Doss to pull out one victory. Both won their respective matches and brought home the win to Team USA. It's such an honor to play disc golf for your country instead of yourself.

The event started and the Scandavianan summer continued to frown upon the professional disc golf world. I battled through it all week and manage to finish 7th in the strongest competitive field in European disc golf history. The media and coverage was the best we seen yet and I look forward to the continued disc golf growth and professionalism in Scandaviana.

We loaded up the four rental cars and took a 12 hour ferry back to Stockholm across the Baltic Sea. As I fly back to America and reflect on a very busy three weeks, it's almost like a blur. I feel like I'm running a marathon trying to keep up with the PDGA schedule. What's blowing my mind is that I'm about to land in the US, fly to the AM Worlds, fly back to Delaware, play an A-Tier, and then drive to Pittsburgh and play the world championships. Maybe then I will get a break!

Nope! I'm heading to the Mad City Open and then to LedgeStone. Funny thing is when I started this there weren't enough tournaments to play, now there aren't enough weekends in a year! What am I complaining about?! I get paid to walk in beautiful parks! See you in the fairway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts