• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back Swing, Down Swing... 2" Thrust

HyzerUniBomber

* Ace Member *

I watched this video a couple weeks back when it popped up in a form/review post and it has clicked an idea in me that has felt very missing in my form.

I've done the butt wipe drill and many other drills to try to avoid jamming my hip, but the thing that I believe was missing was what is well described around 8:30 in the video.

Paraphrasing: butt stays pushing into the wall on the butt wipe drill during backswing and downswing... then you have "two inches of thrust with the hips".

When I did this slowly, I realized that I was not really thrusting with my hips - which left me jamming the right femur back into my right hip. If you push your hips forward, the femur can rotate further and with a larger degree of freedom.

Is it a big deal? I think so - and for this reason: when you watch GG slow motion specifically, you can spot the instant when he's in his "swan dive" pose.

attachment.php

That pose is the byproduct of the hip thrust. If you don't do this right, I don't think you can get that perfect balance of upper body forward, lower body countering and hips right in line.

You can get close, but I think you'll feel like your hip starts jamming or slowing versus staying fluid.

Lastly - when I aim for that swan dive pose, it's almost like I'm setting up to rip a phonebook in half and pin my shoulder blades together in the follow through. It reinforces the off arm staying efficient.

Anyways, thanks for letting this lurker jabber.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 504

I watched this video a couple weeks back when it popped up in a form/review post and it has clicked an idea in me that has felt very missing in my form.

I've done the butt wipe drill and many other drills to try to avoid jamming my hip, but the thing that I believe was missing was what is well described around 8:30 in the video.

Paraphrasing: butt stays pushing into the wall on the butt wipe drill during backswing and downswing... then you have "two inches of thrust with the hips".

Is the 830 time correct or when does he talk about the hip thrust bit? Sorry if I just missed it because I'm tired. Cheers.

No, my bad... looks like around 7:15

Gotcha. I think there he's telling Brody what he's doing wrong in comparison to the blue golfer. In other words, Brody needs to less pelvic thrust at the address in order to get his butt on the glass.

Nevertheless I don't disagree with what you're saying. I started lifting this past year, with good amount of leg exercise concentration, and I feel it's been helpful and the coordination of a lot of excercises say, deadlifts and one legged split squats, for example, all translate.

Apologies if my description is confusing or just plain wrong... I am trying to say that keeping the butt back is good, but what I was doing wrong was as described here:

https://youtu.be/x3_nFDAaHzI at 8:50

"If you try to execute a golf swing against a square leg, you're only going to get so far in rotation."

I never got my square leg and blocked hip fixed up.

He describes it as firing the lead glute and that's what "Creates a straightening"... and what I mean by forward thrust, which in hindsight is probably a bad term because it sounds like that's what golf pros describe as pulling your hips forward too early?

Last edited:
Apologies if my description is confusing or just plain wrong... I am trying to say that keeping the butt back is good, but what I was doing wrong was as described here:

https://youtu.be/x3_nFDAaHzI at 8:50

"If you try to execute a golf swing against a square leg, you're only going to get so far in rotation."

I never got my square leg and blocked hip fixed up.

He describes it as firing the lead glute and that's what "Creates a straightening"... and what I mean by forward thrust, which in hindsight is probably a bad term because it sounds like that's what golf pros describe as pulling your hips forward too early?

Yeah, I track with you - makes sense.

Here's what I was getting at that I felt goes with your glute activation and hip extension comments in regards to lifting:

Around 2:20 min

Kettle bell swings also very applicable to that GG hip extension.

I was watching all the footage from the 2019 distance comp. Most the pros straighten the lead knee and glute during the hit.
I've been having pain in my hip flexor after field work. I think it's from jamming my lead hip into a lazy glute instead of contracting the glute on my brace leg during the hit and finishing more upright with a straight braced lead leg.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

An interesting quote by Mr. Pratt in comments: "I wouldn't recommend tossing a kettle bell though. And I like using a bucket of water instead because it teaches you rhythm and centrifugal force. Don't let the water slosh!"

When I "solved" (I'm always in progress) this, it felt like I was standing up a lot straighter and striding with zero stagger. Obviously I still have a bit of stagger, but it didn't feel like it after exaggerating the stagger for so long.

I still have to actively tell myself to stand up straight and also travel straight down the line with my stride. Still feels weird. The results speak for themselves.

Along the lines of "Back Swing, Down Swing..." another new video. Three key points on the pendulum swing which SW also discusses in depth in his videos. You can also pick out: hip to the sky, shoulder under the chin, going over the top, flat swing plane does not exist, and extending the arc to name a few of the concepts we discuss in this forum.

@sidewinder22 / @hyzerunibomber - It seems mostly straight forward, but can I just clarify I've got the full context of this drill with you. So let's say I'm doing the drill exactly as described, and I transition it directly to my throw, what I take from it primarily are two things:

1. A more powerful stride and plant to start the "ground up" sequence of the throw; more energy from the legs. X-step with more purpose other than just setting up the reach back. It's a more forward-driving final stride rather than casually getting to the plant foot position.
  2. More discipline on not rotating the hips early. Keeping the butt forward through the stride keeps the hips loaded until after the plant.

Is that the gist? Anything I'm missing?

Latest posts