• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag for Brym

Brym

Hi,
i'd like your advice on what discs i should get next to fill my bag. Only recently i have started to think more about my throws and discs and i noticed that i dont have any overstable discs.
At the moment i am thinking about adding:
Champion Teebird and
Champion Wraith - i dont know if that matches my armspeed. or should i prefer a Star Firebird

i think they might cover the missing stability as well as distance range. Or do you recommend something else? Since i am playing ultimate i am used to throw different angles and lines with the same disc. Thats why i thought i can keep a relative small bag. Or should i get some more discs, let say at mid range?

Please help me

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 6 month ; 3 years of Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some FH, some Overhead
Golf Distance (avg/max): Buzzz SS: 230/280'; Leopard:280/305' Tern: 320/360' (without trees :D)

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
160 Star Tern (new) - max distance, Usally throw it flat because i cant hyzer flip it. I know it is quite fast for me, but the glide is really helpful
175 Pro Leopard - i thought i could use this similar as the XS was but it has a more "round" flight. The glide is nice. I use it a lot though
175 X XS (beat) - This was my first (and only) driver, it used to have a straight flight and a fade at the end. i hit a lot of trees and now it doesn't have this consistent fade any more. Sometimes it finisches right, straight or left. i guess due to some inconsistencies in my throw.

Mids:
175 Z Buzzz SS - small s-cuve with a bit anhyzer, or i can get it really straight when i put power on the throw. Also my go to disc for overheads.

Putters:
175 Magnet Soft, (slightly beat) - my only one :D, but i like it.

I would really recommend a Lat 64 Gold line Saint over a Wraith. Similar flight pattern as a beat in Wraith but much more controllable as a newish player. And either a Teebird, or Eagle is a good choice for a more stability in a fairway driver.

No to Wraith, yes to Champion Teebird. I recommend high 160s to 170s in weight.

I would stick with the Tern for distance and grab a Champ Teebird and Champ Firebird. These would easily fill in several gaps and should be very controllable. You could even grab an S and C PD if you prefer a high speed disc.

You might also want to check out a stable/overstable mid or putter since the Buzzz SS is pretty understable. Your bag is definitely on the understable side of the spectrum, that's for sure.

Thanks a lot for the help so far. So the Teebird is decided then.

I would really recommend a Lat 64 Gold line Saint over a Wraith. Similar flight pattern as a beat in Wraith but much more controllable as a newish player.
What i have read about the Saint it is a fine disc, but it would be stable instead of overstable. But since wanted to cover the missing (over)stability i dont know if that disc would serve this purpose. Would anybody else recommend that in this situation?

I recommend high 160s to 170s in weight.
I haven't really thougt about weight. Until now i used 175 because its the weight i am familiar with from ultimate (except the tern for distance). So i'll chose the 170s.

I would stick with the Tern for distance and grab a Champ Teebird and Champ Firebird. These would easily fill in several gaps and should be very controllable. You could even grab an S and C PD if you prefer a high speed disc.
Just looked at the PD, and it seems to be just the thing i am searching for. I must admit i am a bit afraid of the Firebird. It has so little glide (and thats what i love in the other discs) and is said to be so overstable and difficult to throw. On the other hand the firebird seems to be a fixed element in so many bags, so would it be wise to get used to it early?

You might also want to check out a stable/overstable mid or putter
Thanks for the advice, i am doing that in the next step. But would you say a new putter of the same mold is better or choosing another one? Magnet is supposed to be stable isn't it?

A Firebird isn't really something you throw all the time, it's really a sidearm/utility disc for me. It will always do EXACTLY what you think it will though. A CPD isn't as crazy OS but can handle its own and possibly fill that slot. An SPD will start off fairly stable but season into greatness, so I hear.

I like to have a putter for putts and a putter for approaches, same mold. I'd look into something like a Zone/Drone/Suspect for a slow OS tweener. Since you like the Buzzz an easy way out is to just grab a heavy, flat Z Buzzz. It's easily more stable than the SS.

Today i maxed out the tern at 420'. And lately i had to use the leopard more often to not overthrow some holes instead of the tern which i usally used. Sometimes even the Midrange would have been the better option. So maybe i dont really need the extra speed from a cpd and the teebird could become the regular go to driver. Firebird then for sidearm/utility.

Erm still not sure ... What do you guys think about the combo of CFD Jackal and CPD Freak? It seems like the FD is pretty versatile too

Latest posts