• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaded Understable Driver?

Thanks for the continued feedback, folks. At this point, the Xpress is on my to-buy list.

Just a reminder, make sure it is in the X or Elite X plastic. With Discraft the stability ratings change based on which plastic you get it in. If I recall correctly, only the Elite X (or now just called X) has the negative stability rating. Best of luck! :thmbup:

Stalker is great, but Innova's Cobras still have a bead and might be longer. Slightly understable. DX base plastic will be the most understable.

Stalker again. I have a z that is beat in to almost flippy and it has a beaded rim. It is also very forgiving. I hear the TI ones are very stable. Someone mentioned the esp one and tjat sounds like whT you are looking for.

Been a few years since I have thrown a cyclone but I believe they have beads and cone in three different plastics D, X and Esp.

Cheers - Koffee

I think a slightly domey elite x express will be exactly what you want but I want to throw out the Impact too. It's slightly faster than a Buzzz but with a lot more glide. They float and turn lines effortlessly. I've got an extra TP cyclone that is already seasoned perfect for what you describe. I'll cut you a good deal on it. :)

if you want to get rid of that light weight River lmk :p .. but honestly i think other then the no bead factor the River should work.. just keep tossing it

I think a slightly domey elite x express will be exactly what you want but I want to throw out the Impact too. It's slightly faster than a Buzzz but with a lot more glide. They float and turn lines effortlessly. I've got an extra TP cyclone that is already seasoned perfect for what you describe. I'll cut you a good deal on it. :)

Hah! I appreciate the offer, but I'd prefer to find a more permanent solution. I've sort of avoided TP Cyclones, since I'm afraid I won't be able to quit once I start! But the X Xpress is definitely on the to-try list.

if you want to get rid of that light weight River lmk :p .. but honestly i think other then the no bead factor the River should work.. just keep tossing it

With all the attention that light River's been getting, I feel like The Kid with The Golden Ticket. ;)

I would like to try out the Xpress, and I'm definitely still holding out for the Underworld, but I'll also keep working with my River. I'm sure the more I beat it in, the more consistently it will turn - atm it's a bit unpredictable, turning at times but refusing to do so at other times. But my best throws with it continue to encourage me to keep dialing in, as they out-fly anything else I throw.

Hah!
I would like to try out the Xpress, and I'm definitely still holding out for the Underworld, but I'll also keep working with my River. I'm sure the more I beat it in, the more consistently it will turn - atm it's a bit unpredictable, turning at times but refusing to do so at other times. But my best throws with it continue to encourage me to keep dialing in, as they out-fly anything else I throw.

Indeed. I ain't gonna lie, I try new molds all the time and buy too many discs hoping that some of them will be the magical disc that does what I want it to do every time. Fact is, though, discs that I buy for a specific shot rarely do what I want them to do. It's more about learning how to throw that shot than finding the magic disc that will hit that line every time, IME. With that said, though, the River kind of did feel like magic from the first few times I threw it and for sure go the farthest with the least amount of effort than anything I've experienced. Anything from laser straight to long turnovers are right in the wheelhouse of what that disc is made to do.

FWIW, I think the River is the exact right disc for the shot you're describing at your power level, especially a light GL. Once you work with them a while, you will dial them in, they'll become reliable for you and they'll never leave your bag. That's what happened for me anyway. I never play a round w/out a couple of Rivers in my bag. They don't click for some people, so there's a chance they won't for you, but give em a chance and you will likely be glad that you did.

The Underworld does sound interesting too. I'm with ya on that.

Indeed. I ain't gonna lie, I try new molds all the time and buy too many discs hoping that some of them will be the magical disc that does what I want it to do every time. Fact is, though, discs that I buy for a specific shot rarely do what I want them to do. It's more about learning how to throw that shot than finding the magic disc that will hit that line every time, IME. With that said, though, the River kind of did feel like magic from the first few times I threw it and for sure go the farthest with the least amount of effort than anything I've experienced. Anything from laser straight to long turnovers are right in the wheelhouse of what that disc is made to do.

FWIW, I think the River is the exact right disc for the shot you're describing at your power level, especially a light GL. Once you work with them a while, you will dial them in, they'll become reliable for you and they'll never leave your bag. That's what happened for me anyway. I never play a round w/out a couple of Rivers in my bag. They don't click for some people, so there's a chance they won't for you, but give em a chance and you will likely be glad that you did.

The Underworld does sound interesting too. I'm with ya on that.

I appreciate all that. I'm definitely of the mindset of learning to manipulate molds and make shots rather than searching for a magic bullet; just haven't settled on a stable/understable driver to work with yet. My experience with the Cyclone was similar to what you're describing: it didn't click initially, but I kept with it, and now it feels exceedingly comfortable to work with. I still want to try a few more US discs out before I settle, but the River could indeed wind up being the right disc for me. If nothing else, it's always helpful to hear others's thoughts, suggestions, and experiences.

Just a reminder, make sure it is in the X or Elite X plastic. With Discraft the stability ratings change based on which plastic you get it in. If I recall correctly, only the Elite X (or now just called X) has the negative stability rating. Best of luck! :thmbup:

I think he could get a Z and not have to worry about it being too stable for him. I threw Xpresses for years as my turnover driver and always threw Z.

They are a nice disc. I still actually do appreciate everything the Xpress did for my game. I always have a stack of them sitting around if I want to throw em in the back for old times sake.

I think he could get a Z and not have to worry about it being too stable for him. I threw Xpresses for years as my turnover driver and always threw Z.

They are a nice disc. I still actually do appreciate everything the Xpress did for my game. I always have a stack of them sitting around if I want to throw em in the back for old times sake.

You are probably right. I was just going off the Discraft stability rating when making the recommendation.

Xpress X = -1.0 stability
Xpress Z = 0.0 stability

Just taking them at face value the X version is the understable one while the Z version is the stable one. But everyone has their own throw and discs they like, so either one would probably work. :thmbup:

Lat 64 Diamond is my go to hook-shot fairway driver - understable w/o being flippy, incredible glide. I find it easier to throw than a River.

Don't think it has a bead though.

Latest posts