• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating in new discs

Danforth

Eagle Member
I had a stack of newish plastic that I wanted to get beat in, and I had an upcomming geology trip to Death Valley. So I decided to bring my discs, and use the rough rocks of the desert to help thrash my plastic. I think I might have ruined some discs in the process (some D Buzzzes and S Voodoos that got gouged like a mofo), but others seem to beat in quite nicely (Star TB and X&ESP Buzzzes).

Does anyone have reccomendations on how to do this in the future??

savestheday said:
throw as hard as you can into basket untill its beat in.
Wouldn't necessarily recommend this for DX/D/D-Line/Grip etc. I've seen pretty huge chunks come out of discs just by hitting the basket.

Trees, brick walls etc. seem to be popular. Me? I think I'll just play with them until they're nice and beat.

If I have to get some dimples and dents into a Wizard or Roc in a hurry, I use juniper bushes or some other kind of shrubbery that's guaranteed to catch it in a mesh for scratching, and then maybe some hard putting practice into the basket for some minor dents.

But typically I'll just take the new stuff out to a field and throw for a couple hours, and putters work in quick in the backyard if you have a basket. (That's probably a good argument against an Innova Traveler, actually...)

Anyone just use their hands, like bending your discs back and forth for a while as you watch tv or something?

rollers and overhand shots work great. I have a few Q Polaris LS I have been using for rollers and overhands to beat them in faster. It is also great practice for learning overhand/roller shots. I throw my usual drive and then try to throw a flick/roller/overhand shot. I catch myself thinking roller half the time I walk to a box now. One of my Q Polaris LS has lost a decent about of that initial stability and is a lazer straight 350 disc now.

Flipflat said:
Anyone just use their hands, like bending your discs back and forth for a while as you watch tv or something?
I know a buddy who breaks in his wizards this way. As for me, I do it the old fashioned way.

I have a good friend who throws thumber for all of his drives. We have a nice arrangement, I give him new plastic occasionally and he gives me the old stuff nicely beat in. My light star destroyers absolutely bomb after a few months of thumber treatment. As for putters, I've beat in two stiff wizards by throwing them full force into a basket after every putt for several rounds.

I like to break in my champion teebirds by throwing tommies/thumbers on every hole. You get 2 benefits, you get to work on your overhands a lot and you get your premium plastic beat in better.

Edit: Oppps, the poster above me pretty much said the same thing :)

I use a different technique for beating in a discs. I just started using this method. I bought a couple portable baskets for my class and we use buzzes and they help me season them so I have some in case of loss:

Not to mention it is a good activity that most of my class can participate even with braces and wheelchairs. It is goal oriented works on coordination and they really really enjoy the sound the chains make.

CHEERS - Koffee

Here's what I use to do with Champion/opto/Z plastic discs that I want to beat in fast.

1. Throw a couple of rollers on a gravel/sand surface, to make the surface around the edge a bit rough.
2: Smack it into a concrete wall (a wall with a smooth surface) a few times. Not a brick wall, because you could get too much damage on the edge.
3. If necessary, bend it hard up and down to make the plastic take some shape again after the smacking.

Done!

I would bring two new disc in the woods and throw as many as I can and they get nicely beaten with woods and rocks all over.

koffee said:
I use a different technique for beating in a discs. I just started using this method. I bought a couple portable baskets for my class and we use buzzes and they help me season them so I have some in case of loss:

Not to mention it is a good activity that most of my class can participate even with braces and wheelchairs. It is goal oriented works on coordination and they really really enjoy the sound the chains make.

CHEERS - Koffee

Sounds awesome! Sounds like you're a fellow educator. What do you teach?

I got a year of school left then student teaching and I will be in the Phy. Ed. area. I am going to have to remember that for when I am teaching.

discspeed said:
koffee said:

CHEERS - Koffee

Sounds awesome! Sounds like you're a fellow educator. What do you teach?

Saweet a fellow educator!! What do you teach?

CHEERS - Koffee

rusch_bag said:
I got a year of school left then student teaching and I will be in the Phy. Ed. area. I am going to have to remember that for when I am teaching.

Nice, I did adaptive Physical Education for a couple years and that was awesome. You were like the ice cream man an everybody loves the ice cream man !! I think Teaching physical education in general would be fun.

CHEERS - Koffee

Latest posts