• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best 9 Hole Course in the US

Linbrook is having it's 10th anniversary this week. Sure has become a popular place the last few years. Still so many things I would love to improve upon out there but waiting until we finish the 18-hole layout next year. It's been a long 10 year wait for me.

does anyone else know of 2 nine hole courses close together that would have a different rating if combined, or an 18 hole course that possibly could/should be 2 separate nines (especially if one of the nines would get a better rating if it was divided)?

I don't know of any pairs of 9-hole courses that could be played/thought of as a single 18.

But I've played a good number of courses that had separate front & back 9s, looping back to the parking lot, so they could be thought of in terms of separate 9-holers (though I'm not sure that they should). A few of which have quite different front & back 9s.

In addition, I know of some courses that can offer a convenient 9-hole loop -- by selecting to play certain holes that create that navigation. (In fact, on our private course there are 3 such loops we sometimes play, when we only want to play 9 holes).

All of these offer some thought experiments of what a 9-hole course could be; you can imagine losing the rest of the course, and think about how the remaining 9 would play. Because these courses tend to have holes designed for advanced players, whereas most 9 holers tend more towards beginners.

That also points out the limitations of 9-holers. It's not just that it's not enough disc golf, or more redundant if you play a lot. It's that a course can offer more variety with 18 holes, than is possible with just 9.

Iron Spike, in Palestine, TX, would be on this list but it only has 7 reviews as of right now. I've played it several times, taken family there, and it's such a great 9 holer. spacious, hilly, well you can just read the reviews

Iron Spike, in Palestine, TX, would be on this list but it only has 7 reviews as of right now. I've played it several times, taken family there, and it's such a great 9 holer. spacious, hilly, well you can just read the reviews

Iron Spike is definitely worth being on the list. All five of the TRs who have written reviews (Blake and I are two of them) have it at 4.0, and the overall rating is 3.93. However, it's off the beaten path in a small town. It's between Dallas and Houston but a good 30-40 miles off of Interstate 45. But with FTX (3.63) right off the interstate and Dogwood Trails (4.25) just outside of Palestine near Iron Spike, this area is worth a disc golf road trip.

Iron Spike is definitely worth being on the list. All five of the TRs who have written reviews (Blake and I are two of them) have it at 4.0, and the overall rating is 3.93. However, it's off the beaten path in a small town. It's between Dallas and Houston but a good 30-40 miles off of Interstate 45. But with FTX (3.63) right off the interstate and Dogwood Trails (4.25) just outside of Palestine near Iron Spike, this area is worth a disc golf road trip.

it looks a little open

http://dgcour.se/3066

This course should really be listed as 2 separate 9's. If you have get in your car and drive to the back 9, probably not an 18 hole course. Even then it's a pretty decent walk from 18 to 10.

Heard/read good things about Two Mile Run Extension, but passed on it in favor of Faylor Lake this last road trip. No regrets either, as Faylor was indeed a memorable, destination worthy, and dare I say, "epic," course.

Probs just a matter of time before I make it out to Two Mile Run.

Shout out to Alligator Lake. Linbrook's got it beat, but with dual tees and full time dual pins that really change things up, it's worthy of mention here. If I had a niner like that close to home, I'd play it all the time.

Last edited:
Just played Liberty in the nashville area and it's definitely a candidate although technically 10 holes. 10 fun holes with a lot of elevation. 2 tees for each hole and 2 pin positions. Great signage with pin position noted on tee sign. Easy navigation. Porta potty on site. I've played a lot of 9 holers and can't think of 1 better than this

I just remembered, down on the Gulf coast of Mississippi, there is a high school and a middle school that are on the same road. One of them had holes 1 - 9 and the other school has holes 10-18. DGCR has them (correctly) listed as two different courses as they are about a half mile from each other. But the designer numbered them as one course. The other quirk is that the baskets were installed on the wrong course, so holes 1 - 9 play to baskets labelled 10 - 18 and vice versa for the other course. This is only course I have ever seen where two 9's make up an 18 hole "course" but they aren't even on the same property.

Just played Liberty in the nashville area and it's definitely a candidate although technically 10 holes. 10 fun holes with a lot of elevation. 2 tees for each hole and 2 pin positions. Great signage with pin position noted on tee sign. Easy navigation. Porta potty on site. I've played a lot of 9 holers and can't think of 1 better than this

i really liked Liberty as well. I jokingly refer to it as the best 10 hole course ever. I would recommend checking out Patriot Hills about 45 minutes south of Huntsville. Its very similar to Liberty. 2 tees, 2 pins, nice elevation changes, great signage and respectable navigation.

ill throw out double d field of dreams as a contender

he says its 18 but to me its 9 holes with long/short pads and unique fairway/basket for each hole

great course in southern wi

http://dgcour.se/3066This course should really be listed as 2 separate 9's. If you have get in your car and drive to the back 9, probably not an 18 hole course. Even then it's a pretty decent walk from 18 to 10.

Agreed! I mentioned in my review that the two nines should have different names. Especially when the two halves are extremely different! Steele Creek is a fun play, but that's a bipolar 18.

Recently replayed Shu Pond twice and due to continued improvements and tweaks to the course design I upped my rating to a 4.0. Best 9-er I've played. :thmbup:

Agreed! I mentioned in my review that the two nines should have different names. Especially when the two halves are extremely different! Steele Creek is a fun play, but that's a bipolar 18.

Absolutely. I've never seen anything like that course before. It's unique to say the least lol.

Two Mile Run Extension: my vote for best 9'er. Plays like a good nine hole loop of a 4.5 rated course. Factor in dual tees + full-time dual pins...if I lived in the area, I'd rack up a lot of rounds here.

Linbrook: The region's hilly terrain and beautiful woods makes The Burgh a top notch DG playground. Linbrook's one of the beneficiary's.

Alligator Lake: interesting lines, dual tees, and full- time dual pins that really change how you'd play a hole make this a wonderful track.

Mason Sport Park: I still think it's a good course, just not on the same level as those above.

Special Mention:
Sam Masi in Medina, OH is 11 holes, but, so I guess it doesn't qualify. But I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Severe proximity bonus: you can loop in another 16 quality holes at quality golf at Roscoe Ewing (without even having to move your car) ;), to make a pretty good day of it.

The two neighborhood parks are connected by a paved walking path. Play 1-8 at Masi, then walk down the path to #8 at Ewing and finish up on Ewing 7, and back to Masi for 9-11. The two pair nicely.

Last edited:

Latest posts