• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Anhyzer Disc for Distance?

Kentuckian

Par Member
I finally learned to throw a consistant anhyzer that will hold it's line, RHBH.
the disc? a 169g Innova Wolf. the problem? not enough distance.
I recently played a long hole that doglegged to the right after about 275', woods all along the right side. I threw the right angle, but couldn't get the distance, anhyzered beautifully into the thickest part of the woods. Anything out there similar that will fly further? Suggestions?

My Champion Sidewinder serves me best for this type of shot. I don't know about anyone else, but my Millennium JLS holds any line I put it on really well. However I release it, it goes, whether anhyzer, hyzer or straight.

The Valkyrie will get you really good distance, I have recently upgraded to a Destroyer and it goes a little farther then the Valkyrie.

I've heard good things about using sidewinders for that type of shot.
For me I use my beat DX beast for long anhyzer shots.

A Sidewinder is a good disc, but you'll get a little more turnover with the Roadrunner plus the distance you're looking for. I'm assumning you have your technique down.

Beat-up DX drivers work well too.

Roadrunners, Archangels, Sidewinders, Valks and beat in discs are all good for turnovers.

But remember, different discs are going to flip for different people depending on a number of other variables:
  • how much power you put on a disc when throwing
  • how beat in the disc is
  • the direction and strength of the wind
If a disc is flipping too soon, try putting more hyzer on the disc when you release. If it isn't flipping enough, try putting more anhyzer on it by adjusting the angle of release.

I'm left handed, so there's a lot of anhyzer shots out there. And I have found that lighter weights work a little better than heavier weights and I found that glow DX sidewinders are the disc I want when faced with a long turnover. I wish the Disc manufactors would make a reliable turnover disc. Other good turnover discs I like are Panthers, Stingrays and the old p-38 lightings.

I use Monarchs, and for shorter distances RoadRunners. I threw my favorite RoadRunner into a creek today and lost it :-( I tried using Sidewinders, but couldn't get them to turn very much. Where as I can get the Monarch and the RoadRunner to really turn.

For mid-range I use Cobras.

I believe that for a disc to hold a straight-line (against the natural fade) it needs to have a lot of spin on it. And that for a disc to hold an anhyzer line, it needs even more spin. Understable plastic reduces the amount of spin needed. And, I believe that the weight of the disc is directly proportional to the amount of spin needed for the disc to create loft underneath it.

All that is to say that to throw an anhyzer shot, that's breaking against the fade, you want an understable disc that's low enough in weight to match the amount of spin you put on the disc. I use to buy all my discs at 175gs. That seemed to be what everyone else was buying. But I eventually figured out that I don't put enough snap/spin on the disc for this weight--I'm not generating the spin necessary to create the lift for a 175g disc.

So I switched to lighter weight discs, and presto, I started playing better. At first I was puzzled by all this, because honestly if I close my eyes I cannot tell the difference between 165g and 170g usually. I've had people tell me they can tell, then I put the discs in their hands and they get it wrong about 50% of the time. (I'm not looking to start a fight here--just saying my experience.) So it isn't like I need the lower weights because I'm not strong enough (I'm a 6'4" male).

I also didn't think the weight had that much to do with the effect of the wind. I'm sure it has some, but that didn't account for it. So I finally did some experimentation and I think that the weight is really the determining factor of how much spin you need. And the more I worked on this theory (maybe it is obvious to everyone else) the more I believe it to be correct.

So if you're trying to throw Anhyzer, try going even lower in your disc weights. And if you want to throw farther, try going lower in your disc weights as well, to get more spin, and therefore more lift, and less desire to fade.

Of course I'm not a Ph.D. in physics, so I could be completely wrong on all that.

Ken

Last edited:
What he ( Ken ) said. My experience ( approx. 250 rounds since June ) is similar but my experimenting with lighter weight discs has been curtailed with the snow and ice here. I'll pick it up again in the Spring.

As far as the Anhyzer goes, I throw a 175 Roadrunner. RHBH

The learning curve with the RR has been interesting. It was my first driver and early on my mechanics were such that I had to aim right to get the disc to land in the center of the fairway about 220. I was releasing the disc level to the ground.
As the season wore on, I became stronger and was getting 240-250 with the same line and angle of release. ( I had a Stratus in my bag for anhyzers, which was lost...thank heavens)
About August, I was throwing 36-54 holes a day. My x step was improving, I was getting deeper reach on my set up and a stronger follow thru. About that time the RR started turning over madly, flipping 120 feet down the fairway and rolling across the grass and into the leftside rough. What I didn't realize, was that I was releasing with my palm up. ( The palm deal was pointed out to me in Sept.)
So anyway, my go to driver has become a 150 foot roller into the rough and I make a disc switch to a Wraith .( 175 and 167 ) I loved the Wraith for the month of August. But, in September the Wraith started flippin on me and going right....never to return.
Well. Returning to technology I went to a 175 T-Rex. lol Thankfully, a fine player pointed out a couple of weak spots in my throw and I began concentrating on keeping my wrist and palm from flipping up. It took a month to relearn my throw.
Basically, I'd been just carrying my Roadrunner for 2 months, but with an improved release and a much better follow thru, the RR came back into play. The last few weeks on a left to right dog leg I had a bunch of nice throws with the RR. For me..assuming no wind...I aim down the left center of the fairway and release the disc about 20 degrees below level. A hyzer release. About 60-80 feet out the disc grabs the air and flips flat for half a second and then turns over and lasers down the righthand dog leg. I stunned myself a couple of times putting the disc behind the basket on 320 holes.
If there's wind....well...this has been long winded enough.

Yeah... Roadrunner.

Man,I gotta say that my flick,yep the flick,is usually what I grab for a big spike annie. But you gotta have some spank on it to get it to spin and move well for you. Annie or spike annie.

For longer distance I use a roadrunner too. Wolf or stingray for the shorter shots. Broken in discs are easier to throw annie. But they get harder and harder to control the more broken in they get and beyond a certain point they become useful only in very specific situations. If you have enough power almost any disc can be thrown that way but for me (with less power than most other players) roadrunner is the best.

Man,I gotta say that my flick,yep the flick,is usually what I grab for a big spike annie. But you gotta have some spank on it to get it to spin and move well for you. Annie or spike annie.

R u kidding? It must be beat up, cause I just got one today and can't get it to turnover anyway I throw it. Its the most overstable disc I've encoutered so far. I thought my champ banshee and boss were overstable, but the flick is crazy overstable brand new. Although I also never thought I could annie my banshee, but it is pretty sweet for that now after some decent mileage and good snap.

Ken makes a good point. I've never understood why so many people only buy 170g+ discs, and it seems like some people buy exclusively 175g discs. If you're having trouble making the heavyweights turn over for you, buy your favorite mold in a lighter weight, like around 165-167g. You might be surprised at the difference.

Ken makes a good point. I've never understood why so many people only buy 170g+ discs, and it seems like some people buy exclusively 175g discs. If you're having trouble making the heavyweights turn over for you, buy your favorite mold in a lighter weight, like around 165-167g. You might be surprised at the difference.

True dat! This has made the biggest difference in my distance & style. Initially I had to arch my back to make a disc anny. Now I can run up with a more 'normal' style.

* My best turnover disc (that would stay flipped) is my old Champ Coyote. For longer shots my Star Roadrunner has been working well.

R u kidding? It must be beat up, cause I just got one today and can't get it to turnover anyway I throw it. Its the most overstable disc I've encoutered so far. I thought my champ banshee and boss were overstable, but the flick is crazy overstable brand new. Although I also never thought I could annie my banshee, but it is pretty sweet for that now after some decent mileage and good snap.

Dude,I wish you could SEE how beat up it is(no camera),but I love it and I've got it to do the job A-OK.:D

For long, slow anhyzers, you can't beat a DGA Squall. Not quite the distance potential of a Destroyer but very easy to control and not too flippy.