• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Basket for the Buck

nygfaninva

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Which portable Basket is best for the price? Anyone that has one of these please chime in. Are they comparable size to a real basket? Do they hold up if hit with a hard putt? Do they stand up in a strong wind? We have the Discathcer Basket Traveler at $99 or the Discatcher Basket Skillshot at $108.....which is the best buy?

I hate to be wishy-washy, but it depends on what you want. In general, the more you pay, the more quality you get. If you want the best price, anything used would be cheaper than the same thing new. If you want the lightest and cheapest, the Traveler can't be beat, but I just bought a used Skillshot from a local guy for $80, and it's in fine condition.

There's another thread out there that talks about a fully metal portable basket that's painted red. I hope the guy will post that image here soon.

DGA's M-14 is pretty much portable and a little more expensive then what you mentioned, but it is fully metal with much better chains and structure then the InStep baskets. It breaks down very nicely and won't be affected by wind.

looks like the in-steps are not quite as durable and could use an extra set of chains, according to most reviews i could find...the innova sport on the other hand says it only weighs about 40 pounds, breaks down to 6 pieces, has the same upper structure/chains as the pro model, and is only 169 shipped at discgolfcenter.com...this is the one i've been eyeing...

I have a DGA Mach Lite, and have nothing to complain about. It retails at about $160, and sets up and folds down into and out of one connected unit in about 30 seconds. I have never seen it fold on a hit, or in the wind. Very portable at 26#, and chains that catch well with good sound. I have nothing against the In-step, I have never used it, but here's another option. I love my Mach Lite.

http://www.discgolfassoc.com/discgolf-equipment/baskets/mach-lite-discgolf-basket.html

I use a DGA Mach 2 new, its a full metal, double chain model, with a nice wheel on the bas for easy moveing around. Its HEAVY, but hell its about as nice as a basket in the ground. :D

I am getting a DGA M-14 for Christmas I 'll let you know how it holds up. I will probably add a second set of chains.

The InStep basket is really cheap, and is a great practice basket.

As others have said, it does not have the inner set of chains - but with that said, I rarely get bounce outs.. and if I do it typically wasn't a good shot anyway.

One thing I will say about the InStep basket is that the target zone (chains) is a little bigger than most baskets you will find on the course. Not a big deal, and I actually kind of like it - because it helps to build putting confidence.

The InStep basket is really cheap, and is a great practice basket.

As others have said, it does not have the inner set of chains - but with that said, I rarely get bounce outs.. and if I do it typically wasn't a good shot anyway.

One thing I will say about the InStep basket is that the target zone (chains) is a little bigger than most baskets you will find on the course. Not a big deal, and I actually kind of like it - because it helps to build putting confidence.

I have stated in another thread that I have had no issues with the Instep basket either. For the price you can't beat it. There are articles online showing how to add more chains to it if you wish. After adding another set of chains you will still save some cash compared to the other baskets. This money can be spent on more disc etc....

Have a discatcher sport myself, leave it set up in my back yard permanently, it's not diificult to tear down and set up, but for me it just doesn't work for a family of 3 to take with us on vacation. So I just got the innova travel basket <currently $99 and free shipping at discgolfcenter>. Now when we go on vacation, or a 3 day weekend, etc... I can take the basket with me and set it up, and still have room enough in the car.

Have a discatcher sport myself, leave it set up in my back yard permanently, it's not diificult to tear down and set up, but for me it just doesn't work for a family of 3 to take with us on vacation. So I just got the innova travel basket <currently $99 and free shipping at discgolfcenter>. Now when we go on vacation, or a 3 day weekend, etc... I can take the basket with me and set it up, and still have room enough in the car.

I agree it is bulky to travel with, but I am sure happy in how stable it is. I don't know about the dollar value vs others, but I completely satisfied.

Is the Skillshot comparable in size to a true basket? Does it stand up in a stiff wind?

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. Yes the Skillshot is full-sized, though it may not be quite as forgiving of off-center shots as a full metal basket. I've yet to use my Skillshot for anything other than putting practice, but it looks pretty tough, and I'd expect it to hold up in wind. The guy I bought it from said he's never knocked it over, and never had any trouble with the wind. In any event, it's got rings attached for tent stakes, so if you set it up as part of a temporary course, you can buy three tent stakes with your pocket change and make it even more stable.

Last edited:
I've narrowly mised out twice now (lost the final throw off) on the DGA mach lites, I'd say they are the best portable basket with relation to portability and target size. Next in line keep portability the top priority (breaks down quickly & easily & doesnt take up alot of space in travel) would be the Skill Shot. I have 2 & they travel very well...

I've been trying to decide between a SkillShot and a Traveler. I have a non-portable, homemade basket at the house so the portability is really what I'm after here. I'm in need of council and advice.

The extra portability of the Traveler is very appealing to me cause that means I could take it on day hikes, or to the beach, and play a few safari holes wherever I want.

The SkillShot is enticing because it is much closer to a regulation basket. It seems to be much more popular than the Traveler too.

I just can't decide. Any thoughts?