• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Cheap basket

Or you could build your own basket. I did that useing a bike tire, PVC pipe, a circular laundry basket, and chain. It coast me $20 to make.

Last edited:
I got this one back in 2017. I keep it out of weather or in the garage, and it's held up well. It's a touch wobbly so you get what you pay for, but if you're in the market for a cheap basket (I figure the OP found one by now), it's not the worst thing you could get.

The wife surprised me with an early bday present in the form of an Axiom basket! She got Red (thank God) and I set it up in the basement and practiced for about 30 mins last night.

Really did not expect the basket to be so nice. My grandmother could set one up with no tools, and everything is as it should be. Nice heavy chains and it catches great. Very nice basket, quality finish and chains... 10/10 will be buying more for a backyard course!

Been throwing all kinds of plastic at it and moving it around since I got it and still can't come up with a reason not to spend $140 on this basket. Haven't been leaving it out in the weather yet (still snowing so it lives in the basement) but no indications of a lack in quality. Not quite as overall sturdy as the Prodigy T2 practice baskets we use at the course but those are more than double the cost and they don't break down like the Axiom so they can be a bit more solid.

I'm calling it a win, and am still planning to buy more.

I got this one back in 2017. I keep it out of weather or in the garage, and it's held up well. It's a touch wobbly so you get what you pay for, but if you're in the market for a cheap basket (I figure the OP found one by now), it's not the worst thing you could get.

I have had this one outside for maybe 8 years or more. Except for where a big branch fell on it and caved in part of the top assembly, it is good as new. Still catches great and has a full-sized basket. I put a couple cinder blocks on the base so my kids wouldn't pull it over while they were learning to walk, left them for sturdiness.

Was $129 when I got it :wall:

Has anyone had experience with both the Axiom HD and MVP Pro HD V2? I'm between those 2 right now but want to know the differences

It's basically the exact same basket but Axiom comes in four colors. From their website:

Fans of the Black Hole® Pro HD V2 can rejoice as Axiom's unique color combinations join the mix! The Axiom Pro HD features all the upgrades in the Black Hole® Pro HD V2 and comes in 4 unique color combinations.

Do you want Black or do you want color?

I was wondering if that was the only difference. I know between the Black hole Pro HD and the V2 there is a jump from 6mm to 8mm wire for the basket. I wasn't sure which the Axiom was. Probably the 6mm

That quote I found from their website makes it sound like it will be 8mm just like the Black Hole HD v2, features all the upgrades in the Black Hole HD v2. Axiom is a company under the MVP umbrella so it would stand to reason they are the same basket just offered in colors.

That quote I found from their website makes it sound like it will be 8mm just like the Black Hole HD v2, features all the upgrades in the Black Hole HD v2. Axiom is a company under the MVP umbrella so it would stand to reason they are the same basket just offered in colors.

Yea, I did some investigating on the site after I made that comment and I agree with you. I was figuring with them being at the same price that the MVP would have to have something to make up for the colors of the Axiom...Needless to say I've got a red one on the way lol. Thanks for the help

Lightning DB-5 Galvanized target...

To me this is the lowest end permanent basket on the market. https://gottagogottathrow.com/colle...ucts/lightning-db-5-18-chain-disc-golf-basket The local in town course where I live is using all but the tops that are Mach III from the State park course when they got the modern cage Mach III in the blue in May 2014 or 2015.

Updated PDGA:

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/targets

Nice! Almost forgot about these... Thanks.

Updated PDGA:

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/targets

Nice! Almost forgot about these... Thanks.

Standard means they can be used for tournaments up to B but I think the local course calls our baskets Mach III updated version to the PDGA as they look just like those as Lighting DB-5 with a Mach III top looks almost just like an oop Mach III updated but a slightly off cage if one knows what to look for in the cage. This way the baskets could get used for A tier tournaments, not that any exist in my town or state just the occasional B tier when South Dakota State Disc Golf Championships is done in my town. A bunch of people hated the cut through when putting on the single chain and the local club added chains to the original DB-5 unmodified baskets, it was still not good enough. As soon as the old baskets at the nearby state park got changed out to the Mach III updated in blue, the city/club took the old basket tops of old Mach III that were going to get scrapped.

Last edited:

Latest posts