• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best disc for approaches?

Roc3 or Buzzz.

I don't use putters anymore. My course has a lot of hills and my putters love to roll away. My middies fly true and sit nice.

XG Rhyno if it needs to hit and stick. Cryztal Zone if it needs a skip. Evo Magic for understable duties.

I use a beat up Elite X Comet for long approaches.

Then everything else I'm using a putter. I've always preferred using really really soft putters for approaches,I feel it gives you that added touch on the disc due to grip.

This is pretty much the route I take except substitute a Champion Panther for the Comet. :thmbup:

My champ rhyno is a do it all approach disc. Backhands, hyzers, flex/floaty shots, flicks. Pretty soon I'm getting some Pro ones to putt with.

For me personally for neutral stable to anny i use a max weight sss magic. For neutral stable to hyzer i use a 173 sss wizard. The wizard was a total game changer disc for me after struggling to find a comfortable putter. I had worked and worked on my form , knew I was throwing right, and not much was feeling right to me. I tried a sss wizard because i won one for free. After using it for about a week, I built myself a nice little stack. Eraser wizards are great when you need even more OS, if you want a firmer feel with that same sweet tackiness the $$$ wizards are bomb.

If you are looking for more left to right movement, you cant go wrong with the magic.

If you want the stability of a wizard with no bead get a warlock.
Yes I like gateway putters. How could you tell?

I'll second this suggestion. I use Pures or the Suspect. Pure is the most used, but the Suspect has more stability and is great for headwinds or when you absolutely can't overshoot the basket.

I'll third the Suspect suggestion! It's my go to approach at the moment.

I use a Wizard. Main putter, so I have a lot of them to practice with. Also, my putting practice doubles as upshot practice a lot.

I love the soft wizard and if it's too far for a wizard I mostly grab a trusty dx roc, I like to think of the wizard as a mini, shorter roc. They both have similar flight characteristics and are very predictable.

Sometimes I feel like sinking an approach shot is just as satisfying as an ace

Clearly an Axion Envy is the best disc for this throw. If you disagree you have no brain and should throw all your discs into your head ;)

I like my JK Aviar for approaches. I rarely putt with it (seems to splash out a lot) but it is money on those 150-foot and in approaches. Hits and sticks like buttah. I rotate my two Jk Aviars with a Gravity Clozer (keeps 'em fresh) for the same duties. The Clozer feels just like a BB Aviar, and the Gravity plastic is kind of similar to JK Pro.

I've been using a dart for my approaches, it has vey little fade at the end, so it's quite predictable.

Putters all the way. I have multiple Pures in the bag for these shots. I commonly with use my beat up ZH for this, but also have a fresher ZH. I personally only use my Opto for driving, not so much upshots, mainly because the ZH feels better to finesse for me. If its a windier day, or I have a line the situation requires it, I will throw my Zone.

I prefer the Yeti for anything under 200'. I can put it on anhyzer or a hyzer. It's easy to gauge distance and just sits down. I'll drive it straight off the pad for 250' and can power it down for loft 50' upshots. I putt with and Ion but can't seem to gauge the distance like I can with the Yeti.

Last edited:
Even though I took it out of the bag, I recently swapped it back in because my M4 is white and I dont use it in the snow. MAKO! Greatest approach disc that I've used because its like a faster putter with glide. Or...slower midrange....but it has the glide to keep it at chain level throughout it's flight . Also the LYCAN....an overlooked disc....It's just the same as the MAKO but a touch more stable....that's all....great discs.....often overlooked...i think because its too slow to be ripped as a strong mid and too much for a short putter.....but those discs are awesome.

Use a putter. I prefer baseline plastic for these kinda shots. Nothing wrong with Ions, though.

I'd try to work with a slight hyzer/flat release if you can.