• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Discs for learning forehand

Witness is the only thing that really comes to mind. It's US, so it's going to show form flaws, but it also hooks up really well. Pair that with a Flick for your super OS compliment. The shallow fairways are pretty neglected, really.

It's funny cuz that's exactly my experience with backhand. Maybe it has to do with differences in our grip?

Maybe I haven't quite got the biggest flick yet though in Ultimate. I can cover about half the field accurately with my flick or hammer. Still working on getting it better.

I am thinking a fairway and something shallow. I am really a newb when it comes to forehand and I suppose I am looking for two suggestions.

1) Best forehand disc to show form flaws.
2) Most forgiving forehand disc.

Comet doesn't feel good in my hand and neither do my gazelles really (Too domey maybe?).

1) Try the Discraft XL. When I started out it was what I used until it started to become to flippy for the snap I was developing, then I started using the Innova FL.
2) Anything OS, I guess. Try Innova Gator.

As for using the Comet, if memory serves me, when I tried forehanding a Comet it flipped over way too easily. Anything understable is going to turn over very easily, but it will teach you control. For FH anhyzer I use understable discs. They are very touchy & it took me a couple of years to get it under control, to the point where I don't need a backhand.

I will throw this out there, Vibram Valley. The numbers are 7/5/-1/1. It's easy to throw, feels good FH or BH to me, fast enough to put a little umph on while not flipping easily and slow enough to not require a hard throw.
I have two of them and they are great for an easy low flying 200' FH flick.

If I flip my hand at the end of the release it always flips, so for me it helps me think about my form.

If i just want to just rip a disc FH I would grab the Solace, hides my bad form and I can get 375' out of it reliably. But that is not a good thing to do, so I am working on my form.

Good luck with perfecting your forehand!

I think the Thunderbird is probably the best disc to start throwing forehand if you're looking for something a touch more OS.

But if you have come fingers, I'd go Viking or beefy Valk.

My $0.02

My best suggestion would be to go fondle some plastic and let feel make the decision for you. As far as mold goes, slightly understable fairway is what I'd look for. Slow enough to not let you torque monkey it without knowing, but still get decent distance. Once you can throw that straight go up in speed a bit but still keep it slightly understable. At that point you're adding power but still keeping clean form. If you can toss something like a sidewinder or Valkyrie 300-350 and keep it straight you're good to go.

And as far as feel goes, you'll find that some discs just feel better in the hand with a forehand grip. Backhand I'm not nearly as picky, but I'm extremely picky about what feels good forehand. Go feel a few up and you'll know the one when you've got it. Personally I like stuff with a flatter wing, f7 and tl3 are great fairways to start with and have a comfy grip.

Leopards on the practice field, and Teebirds on the course has been my sidearm regiment lately. I like the Thunderbird for the forgiving/os sidearm disc.

To test my form I simply use a Leopard. If it is a reasonable tight s-curve thrown flat then I am throwing ok.
Like a couple others mentioned, the XL makes a decent FH disc. I use the FLX ESP XL and it flies straight with a good hook at the end.

I learned with a broken in Elite-X Predator, but that thing was BEATEN. I usually suggest a stable fairway for learning forehands, something like a Champion TeeBird, Z XL, or QJLS. The key is for it to be 0 HSS. Something that won't power its way out of an aggressive anny, also won't mask the flaws in your form. Once you have flat releases with a stable disc figured out, you will be able to do pretty much anything with a forehand, correlative to your adjustments to release angle. It's fun, take it from me.

I too would like to work on my forehand. Would a River, Comet and or Pure be a good choice to begin with?

I am thinking a fairway and something shallow. I am really a newb when it comes to forehand and I suppose I am looking for two suggestions.

1) Best forehand disc to show form flaws.
2) Most forgiving forehand disc.

Comet doesn't feel good in my hand and neither do my gazelles really (Too domey maybe?).

Have you tried your Escape? Not too understable that it will flip much with proper form (although it will need to be thrown on some hyzer). But it is also not so overstable as to cover up form flaws. The Thief is also very similar and the disc I use for this, but I saw the Escape in your sig line and why not use what you already have.

I too would like to work on my forehand. Would a River, Comet and or Pure be a good choice to begin with?

Honestly, you can pick anything really and make it work. River is a sensitive disc, so it could be a great teaching tool, and also could be highly frustrating. Same with the Comet, with the added factor of not being that comfortable in a forehand grip (for some people.) Opto Pures are a little deeper than I prefer for FH, but certainly doable.

I tried a few FH standstill flicks with a Z Comet last weekend and got a couple nice flip up shots with it, so it's certainly possible to FH them, even though they're not normally associated with FH.

Really, grab anything that isn't crazy overstable and is comfortable for you in a FH grip.

For learning I would say a Buzzz and/or Leopard. Thrown flat and with some decent snap, they should both have relatively straight flights. Maybe some turn to fade depending on speed, but both discs will do a good job of showing any flaws in form.
As for forgiving, I like champ xcals and firebirds.