• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Best Glow Plastic

I've only tried discraft and innova. The innova does seem to glow better, and generally just fine. I am also using a UV led torch to charge them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Glow Buzzz that outglows everything else I have. My Color Glow P2 is a distant second.

The only glow disc i actually use for glow rounds is my gateway superglow Wizard. More because it's a putter than anything, it's not super bright but I have a smaller area to search.
Taping LEDs onto your disc is a pain, but it works really well.

I have one of the Matt Dollar glow Envys from his most recent tournament, where the rim is regular Axiom rim and the flight plate is glow. It glows comparably to color glow champion stuff, if not more maybe. Not as good as my Vibram though. I can post pics when I get home.

yeah paying attention to the glow stuff too cause were losing light so quick..

Kataplast seems nice, my new Halloween glow envy was good, got some legacy 5 year rivals and they glow very well.

it seems innova stuff normally is above average, sexton firebirds seem bright.

now cause its colder, the nice glow stuff is getting to stiff to throw. if they only made legacy icon and innova gstar in glow which are my go to cool weather plastic.

I have a really bright glow Summit. A lot of use that will be if I want another. Bought a Kastaplast glow Reko and was surprised at how well it glows, I walked in the door from buying it and it glowed bright without even charging it (just the ambient light on the ride home).

Sure, there's tape and blinky lights, but the question was which disc itself glows the best. I have a good collection of early Photon Glo discs from Discraft, and I can say that most of them glow very bright, better than I've seen any other disc. Like any glow discs, they do not handle ambient light well, but on a dark, cloudy night in the woods, I have to cover my eyes they are so bright. It's a joy to see them flying through the woods, and while I "recharge" them, they last several holes, longer if you don't need maximum brightness. They kind of seem to keep getting brighter...

I have not seen the new "Photon Glo" Challenger, but as that was one of the harder Photon Glows to come by, that would be awesome if it were the same.

I have a Z-Glo Buzzz that I'm very happy with how well it glows. I have some older Innova glow discs, like Champion Wraiths, that barely glow at all.

I have read in various glow threads throughout the years that pretty sure it was Gateway (and did someone reference it above?) that has the actual best glowing disc of all time. They dumped "way" too much glow material into the run, and I'm not sure the downside, but it apparently has mythical glow properties. Someone out there will have more specifics.

Glow conditions are rarely perfect. The little blinky lights we attach to the center of our discs works great in all conditions, including glow rounds in snow. So in my opinion, that's the way to go. It's cheap, and it works. There's something to be said though for seeing the disc flying through the sky like a UFO.

Innova, the stuff that Discraft makes if it is a not white/off white disc then garbage. However best I have eve used was the Glow that Lighting made, I had a disc #2 driver that could be used for a whole round of 18 and then some and was green glow coming from an off white disc. I have not used other brands but I have seen used a Latitude 64 disc that was glow and it was nothing compared to the other glow discs I have seen.

In forsaking the traditional glow route, I have bought some of the "fire" plastic from Viking that is their Storm with a little light case in the middle.

Works pretty well, you don't have to charge it.

They fly better than the Nite Eyes ones but the light isn't quite as good.

I have an OLD Photon Glow Stratus, Wasp and Magnet. These things are supercharged. I think I heard they had to stop making this blend, because of an illegal substance in the plastic.

Another vote for Kastaplast. That plastic damn near acts like a lantern.

Anyone have success with Swirl ESP Glo? Got a Vulture in it, disc is great but the glow aspect is pretty pathetic. No problems with Z Glo.

Stability wise, is Trilogy less stable in moonshine? The XXX, River, and Saint Pro I've thrown in moonshine were all noticeable less stable.

Swirl ESP glo does not glow. My vote goes to Kastaplast.

I thought I got a dud, but after a long time under a powerful black light I did manage to get a faint glow out of my Swirl ESP Glo. Pretty lame to sell it as glow, but incredible feeling plastic with great colors.

A few observations about Innova glow plastics:

Like all characteristics, Innova's glowyness varies wildly from run to run. Some seem packed with the glow additive, whereas others are much fainter.

It seems like new discs glow the best, and older runs often fade over the years. Leaving a glow disc out in the sun certainly doesn't do you any favors.

Generally, for glow champ, the best glowers are the opaque runs. It's no guarantee. However, clearer "glow" champ is basically never as glow-y as the good opaque runs, from what I've seen.

Color Glow Champ seems to always be opaque and always solidly glow-y. I have several molds/runs of CG champ and they have all glowed very well. So I would say, on average, the CG Champ is the best glowing plastic that Innova makes. Grip is also solid, slight flex is very nice, and they are very durable. Altogether this is one of my very favorite plastic blends for any conditions, especially the pink.

For the naturally opaque blends (DX Glow, KC Glo, JK Glo, etc.) it's even harder to tell which the studs from the duds. Sometimes you just have to get a flashlight and a dark room and see for yourself. I have found the JK Glow to be solid, but that's based on a sample size of 2 from the same run (CFR from late in 2017). Also, note on the KC CG: I have seen SEVERAL of these discs break cleanly in half for almost no reason. They glow OK, but seem to have quality/brittleness issues.

CG star is a new development this year (Philo Destroyers, not sure if there are others?)
I have one and it's OK, but not as good as any of the CG champ I've used.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
I always remembered my Glow Summit to have the best glow. I charged it and my Reko and I'm gonna say the Reko glows better. Part of the Vibram problem is they absorb dirt unlike normal plastic, takes a real good scrubbing to clean it where normal premium just needs rinsed with a firm wipe afterwards. Dirty glow doesn't glow well.

Also the Vibram stuff needs charged on both sides, you can just charge one side of the clear glow discs and they charge goes all the way through.

Even after a thorough cleaning the Vibram wasn't any brighter than the Reko, but if I flipped them over the Reko was way brighter (it is just as bright both sides) because I only bothered to charge them from one side.

Latest posts