• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best New Course 2009

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
For the year 2009 and only nominate those who made their debut in 2009 I am sure someone will screw this up!

Nominate a NEWcourse that opened in the yr 2009 that deserves to be rookie of the year!

Best New Course

Again this might seem to be jockeying the other thread but I think its a bit simpler and I was curious what the best new course was and I am only interested in 2009 Disc Debuts

Last edited by a moderator:
Does a partial redesign and facelift a la Circle C count as a new course? Or maybe there should be another category. One for most improved course of 2009...

Best new course nominee:
Holler In The Hills
Brownsville, Ky.

Howie (owner) has done a fantastic job with this course. This course in it's first year is already the second highest rated course in the state of Kentucky!

Last edited:
You can add that as well.....why not a most improved for 2009...but thats saying that Circle C was a POS in 2008......

Nah, it's saying that the improvements were just that good. Circle C is still basically the same course with some minor hole changes, but in 2008 and years prior it seemed neglected and just wasn't kept up with for the most part. After the improvements, it feels like you're at an entirely different course when you walk up to the teebox and look down the fairway, but when you actually tee off you remember that you've played this hole before and find it's actually still the same course. It's weird, and it doesn't make a lot of sense, yet I challenge you to find any course that has improved more! I mean, just look at it. Or better yet, come play it and experience it for yourself. It's beautiful. It's challenging. It's the best course I've ever played.

Never played in Texas so I will have to Nominate Joralemon Park as the Most Improved 2009...with a 10 hole expansion of creative and challenging holes that changed the flavor of the original 18 dramatically! A solid runner up would have to be Nockamixon which went from 14 back to its original 18 in 2009! I agree though resurrection of a prior course is something that should be recognized!

Turtle Rock Park, will get pics on here when the snows gone. Going to be in the A tier event next summer 5 courses in 3 days. 5 awesome mountain courses. If anyone is going to take a trip next June I highly recommend the tourney. I'll post more as info comes along. Anyways this course was designed very well and makes my top 3 of 50+ played. Not much info, i'll get pics asap.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3683

Best New Course - Austin Ridge Bible Church DGC, Austin, TX
This course is like no other course I've ever played. It is the most challenging course I've played with the most spectacular elevation changes I've ever seen.

Most Improved Course - Circle C, Austin, TX
Simply put, it's the best all around disc golf experience to be had in the Austin area, and with all the high caliber courses around here, that's really saying something. Improvements include upgrading the rutted and rocky tee boxes to cedar-framed dual concrete tees, adding rock-lined paths between holes that make course navigation much easier, putting in two practice baskets, adding limestone benches, permanent trash cans, all new baskets, trimming fairway limbs, adding a couple new holes and new tee box locations, removing filler holes, adding mulch to cut down on mud and jagged rock landings, thinning out the previously extremely thick rough, dual tee signs, crazy wooden Blair Witch sculptures, aesthetically pleasing erosion control like terraced landscaping and cedar-framed rock drainage areas, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea!

skurf - rumor has it you should add the MetCenter to that list as well. I may live in Texas - but even I am jealous I'm not living in the Austin area right now. Those Houck courses are amazing.

skurf - ridgeline is by far my new favorite course in the austin area.it still needs some trimming and work on clearing fairways but its great the way it is thus far. i swear we are spoiled rotten here with all the great courses popping up here and there.

as srm stated metcenter is great too for being new . ridgeline takes the cake though as well as circle c's massive renovation.

theres another course being built 4 miles or so down from ridgeline as well as 2 new courses in pflugerville. all 3 should be finished by january as im told.

skurf - rumor has it you should add the MetCenter to that list as well. I may live in Texas - but even I am jealous I'm not living in the Austin area right now. Those Houck courses are amazing.

Yeah, MetCenter actually opened up just down the road from me and is my new home course. It's an awesome course with tons of diversity. Check out my *cough*shameless plug*cough* review for the low-down.

I think Austin Ridge edges it out though because of how unique it is. Some of the holes are completely outrageous and may actually give the weak hearted a stroke simply from their kick-assness. It's a seriously long 20 hole course on one of the tallest hills in Austin. It's takes around 3.5 hours to complete if you're with an average sized group. I've played this course twice, but haven't reviewed it yet because there is simply too much to take in. This course is going to take many more play-throughs before I can even begin to comprehend what it is I've gotten myself into, much less review it.

I have played 4 new in 09 courses and the reopened circle c. The Ridge in Austin takes it in my opinion.

Last edited: