• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Putter as a Driver (and a putter)

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
This topic has become very current for me. I did a search and couldnt find an existing thread.

Today, using a new technique, i can say that i confidently have a putter driver as a shot in my bag. I had a succesful park @ 200' (almost on the nose) with my Aviar. (i just learned the shot, so i am 1 week new with the shot... see Drive with a Putter Technique Here)

Now that i've found this shot, i would like to examine if i have a disc that is suitable for this shot. (i dont need or want a disc i only use for 1 purpose - driving a putter.PP)

What discs do people use? What discs to avoid, things you've learned, etc....

I used an Aviar PnA (Eco) 175 and got a very satisfying gimme birdie park @ 200'.

It is important for me not to (necessarily) buy a new disc for this shot.
I either need a dual purpose disc or a disc i already carry.

I was considering eiither -
175 Ion
175 Aviar (Star)
* or <Suggestions>?

There is so much to love about the DX Aviar. Truely a classic disc that can excel at both being used as a driver and for putting duties. I have many of these as well as a Star Avair, which really only works well as a driver in my opinion.

I'm using a Rhyno and Dart for driving and putting. Seem to throwing them farther everytime I play.

Simple answer:

Wizard
Ion

Pick the one that feels better in your hand, and go throw it. They both have the weight distributed more to the outside of the disc which lets the disc fly great when you get enough snap. Try the Glo plastic Wizard. It's a little tougher than some of Gateway's other plastics and feels great in the hand.

Most players that are very experienced throwing putters and driving with them will tell you that a good overstable putter - wizard, challenger, BB Aviar, etc - will be the best for covering all putting/approach/driving duties. Carry one (or more) specifically for putting, and another in a durable plastic - such as Cryztal, Gateway Glow, etc - specifically for driving. I would tend to agree with this advice and perscribe to that theory myself. The more overstable putters are simply more consistent off the tee, and have more distance potential than less stable molds.

E - Wizard for straighter, dead ahead shots with just a hint of fade.

Ridge for anything that requires a specific line all the way to the ground.

It seems the softer the putter, the better suited they are for touch and approach shots; the harder the plastic, the more you can wail on them with a tighter grip and get a cleaner release, which ultimately affects the distance it is going to get.

You can get understable putters out there too, like the Voodoo, Summit, or Pure, but you really have to give it significant hyzer because if you do not hit the right angle, it is not going to hold the line you want. Although, I give props to the Summit where if you go way out to the left and throw relatively flat and with some height, it flies almost exactly like if you were a left-handed player throwing a spike hyzer.

The star aviar is a great driver, and once it's worn a little is a great putter as well.

pick up an ion. actually pick up two, a medium and a soft. the softs have little high speed turn and zero fade out of the box. throw one downhill and watch it go dead nuts straight and land flat as a pancake. the meds have a touch of fade, making them great fo hyzer, straight and anny shots where you need a little flex.

also wizards rule for when you need a little bit more action.

The nice thing about slightly over sable putters is you can beat some into being straight or turnover drivers. Hard to cover as wide of a spectrum if you start with something more understable.

I use a stiff DX Aviar to drive with. I also use a DX Aviar to putt with (but not the same one). My putting Aviar is a little softer. The aviar is a great disc for putting and driving. I just recommend that the Aviar you use for driving is seperate from the one you use for putting. This way you wont keep beating in your putting Aviar or have a chance at losing it.

now for my real answer.

I drive with a Wizard/KC Aviar/Challenger (all three are similar but not identical). I have been putting with a VooDoo. If it wasn't a black proto-organic I would probably drive with it too. I think a more neutral putter like the P&A/VooDoo/Magic/Pure is a bit better for folks to learn how to drive with a putter can hold more lines without being beat in. there is nothing wrong with a P&A.

Latest posts