• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best technique for a 50/50 black?

hawgdriver

Eagle Member
I've been experimenting with different masks and techniques to get a laser-straight 50/50 black dye to work. So far, as dyeing medium I've used top-painted shaving cream mixed with Rit graphite synthetic, or just the Rit/water/acetone in a pan. To mask the disc I've used different types of tape (electrical, duct, blue masking).

Sometimes I've let it sit at room temp, but the strongest/quickest results have been using small oven to accelerate the process under something like ~150° F (I have to briefly cycle the bake function and let it sit).

Anyways, my end goal is to make a half orange half black disc with no bleeding. The only precise results I've achieved are with the electrical tape, but not if it overlaps any other tape.

I was going to try contact paper next. Just looking for any hints, thanks!

I have done electrical tape and contact paper with lotion based dye. If I take plain lotion and hit the edges, then wipe off, then it's the plain, colorless lotion that seeps in, leaving a crisp line. So, if I were trying what you say, I'd put a strip of electrical tape with one edge down the middle, run lotion down that edge, wipe off, then use color (I like to put the disc in a container, with clearish lid, outside in the sun) until set. For the next color, get your tape on that same exact line, plain lotion, wipe, then 2nd color. If you're using a different method, perhaps you can adapt, like hit the edge with plain shaving cream instead of lotion?