• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Understable Midrange?

KingpinDiscsInc

Par Member
So I need to add a more understable midrange to my bag for a few holes that I can't seem to hit without one. What's your favorite understable midrange you're throwing?

Dammit, where's prerube when you need 'im?

Stingray or Coyote.....Stingray for more extreme annies and the Coyote may give you a touch of fade if you don't anny it too hard...

I just picked up a Discraft Z-Glide and ESP Meteor this year and I love them both. Both are pretty understable. From my experience, the meteor has a wicked straight flight path, while the glide has a bit sharper turn (hss) and a sharper fade (lss) as well. You can't overpower these discs or they will flip in a hurry, but thrown gently they are money in the bank and get tons of glide.

Coyote was my only midrange for a while, it served me fairly well as it was pretty versatile (I lost it in a creek.... had 2 aces with it, damn!). The meteor I just got is a lot like my coyote.

You didn't say how understable you wanted.

For straight to slightly understable and able to hold the anny line, I'd pick a Panther or Comet (the Panther is more floaty).

Stingray or Coyote.....Stingray for more extreme annies and the Coyote may give you a touch of fade if you don't anny it too hard...
For discs that turn on their own, I'd go with the Cobra, Stingray, or Stratus. The Cobra will turn some or hold an anny line without turning and burning. The Stingray and Stratus will turn a lot, but the Stratus will flip, glide, and fade back a bit, while the Stingray will turn right until it hits the ground. I love the Stratus, but I've been trying to work with the Stingray to keep it from doing the turn and burn, or standing up and rolling :wall:.

In most cases in life, trust isn't developed through repeated beatings. However, in the case of understable mids, the best ones are the ones you've beaten severely. Its nice to have a disc the same speed and glide as your stable mid that is understable. If you don't want to go this way, look for an understable disc that is the same speed and glide as your main mid (like the Buzzz/Meteor, or Roc/Comet).

I use a really beat up KC Roc for an understable midrange. I'll adjust the speed and amount of hyzer (yes hyzer) that I throw it with depending upon when I want it to start turning right and how far to the right it needs to go.

I'm really comfortable with the mold and it's the only midrange that I carry. I currently have 5 in the bag in different stages of wear.

my Buzzz that I've beaten like a red-headed stepchild. it can do no wrong!

Depends what you want out of it. I've thrown the stratus, meteor, and comet(though more stable). I currently use the stratus because I like pro d plastic and it's ability to take more extreme flips, turns, and rolls. I'm thinking of using a comet if I start tossin rocs since I've heard rocs are good rollers. Meteors do feel good in the hand and I can see it fitting most players needs- if you haven't learned a h flip yet, get one!

So I need to add a more understable midrange to my bag for a few holes that I can't seem to hit without one. What's your favorite understable midrange you're throwing?

I'm trying to read into your question to see what you are really asking but it is a little too vague. I'll give you 3 answers to 3 slightly different questions.

1. The best understable midrange I have used is the Meteor. And I've used alot of understable midranges. But Meteors aren't super understable so it might take a while to beat it in if you want a real flippy disc. My second favorite is probably a DX Cobra. They start out only a little understable but will beat in quicker than an ESP Meteor.

2. Comet. Its not really understable, more neutral stable. It can act understable if you have a dirty throw or if you overcook it which isn't hard to do because Comets need much less armspeed than the average midrange. Comets are also very sensitive to small adjustments so a little wrist roll, a little extra nose down, a little OAT, etc. will also make Comets act understable.

3. If you just want a disc to hold a right turn (RHBH), learn to throw a stable disc with anhyzer. Good stable mids are Buzzzes, Rocs, Comets, and the like. The more beat your stable mid, the more beautiful it is.

I hope one of these answers helps.

EDIT: also, try throwing your putter, see how that works.

Last edited:

Latest posts