• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BEWARE of HOLE 8

Schwarz isn't doing this one too, is he?

Yes, but for the most part its got better holes than the other courses there. Well except for #8 unless it gets alot of work. I'm just psyched that he used my idea for #5 so if you all hate that hole you can blame me for that one. :thmbup:

The basket that's numbered #9 out by the pond is actually going to be #18 and the plan is to use the current back nine for the back nine for the new course and the old front nine will become a stand alone 9 holer.
Not the greatest but that's what ended up being the deal to get the second(third course if you count the 6 hole beginner loop) course in. :\

The more I think about it the "second shot" on 8 is more like 300+ ft to the next landing zone and the fairway has to be @15-20 ft wide the whole way with briar patches on both sides.
its not really a bad hole in concept, just bad in execution. its the kind of course maintenance work that makes my stomach hurt just thinking of how to tackle it.

My weekend group had an interesting day out at Osage Grove last month. On no8 two players in the group were struck by errant discs thrown by others in the group. We had a group of 9 that day, lol. I was one of the guilty when my approach shot hit a tree, then hit Johnny5 in the head. No damage though.

I was one of the guilty when my approach shot hit a tree, then hit Johnny5 in the head. No damage though.

Johnny5.jpg

Johnny 5 Alive!!!

DISClaimer: This hole is still unfinished, so hopefully there will still be some changes made when the hole is done. The following narrative only recounts one experience on one particular day in May 2014.

Can any of you NC players guess what course it is?

-----------
From basket 7, since there were no directional aids and several possible directions, I couldn't tell if hole 8 was in the woods or out in the open. I went out of the woods and found an unmarked tee pad but basket 8 was nowhere to be found. There was basket 9, though, on the edge of the pond, so I thought maybe this was the tee for 9 with 8 back in the woods. So I went back into the woods again, but I could find no signs of hole 8, so I headed back out into the open field near the pond. The tee was in an open field with the woods on the right side and the pond on the left side. The tee could be for the 9 basket but it didn't really point to the basket. This is hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but I will try. Going straight from the tee there is an uphill open grass field for about 220 ft then there is about 80 ft of thick weedy undergrowth several feet high. This undergrowth is also about 120 ft wide so you can't get around it to one side. This made no sense as a landing zone to drive into. As mentioned, from the tee you can see basket 9, but it is off to the left, by the pond. Since I couldn't find a basket 8 I thought that maybe there was no hole 8 yet, so I just played from this unnumbered tee to basket 9.
But when I got closer to the basket, about 300 ft from the tee, I found a winding walking trail cut through the very thick woods and another undefined cleared area to the right of this but separated by thick trees. The only purpose I could think of for this parallel cleared corridor was a fairway, but it came to an end and there was no basket there either. Oh, I also saw another black snake. After still more scouting I eventually found basket 8. I discovered that the hole is about 700 feet long, but you can't even see the basket until the final 100 feet or so! So then I walked all the way back to the tee, measuring the length by pacing it, and I started over playing hole 8.
To get as far as possible down the fairway I deliberately threw my drive right into the deep schule, about 260'. Thankfully the disc wasn't lost in thick weeds, but it could easily have been. The schule is so wide that unless you can throw an uphill shot of at least 300 ft (~350 ft equivalent length) you will land in the thick weeds. Farther past the dense weeds then you can see a gap to the corridor cut out of the woods. The gap into the fairway is rather narrow so a drive has to hit a rather small landing zone to be able to get into it. I was too far to the right, so I could only throw a short ~90 ft shot just to try and hit the start of thegap, which I missed. I dinked another little shot just to get in the fairway. Once you get in the corridor you must stay in the fairway because the rough is so thick that you can only toss back out to the fairway. I didn't keep every shot in the fairway, so I slowly worked my way forward until this corridor came to an end, and still the basket was not visible. It's hard to explain, but this corridor ends and then then there is a foliage obstructed area where the end of the fairway intersects the walking path. There is not a clear lane here so you have to loop an S shot out to the left with a left to right curve around the blocked area, but make it hyzer left back onto the fairway. Then you finally hit the last 100 feet of the hole, and at last you can see the basket! If you have gotten this far you are over 600 feet from the tee (which was lost to sight long ago). Getting to this point was a battle, but this a beautiful way to finish. The right side has a very deep drop off down a steep slope to a creek, so that creates high risk vs. reward. Then near the basket there are some very scenic white boulders. The first 600 feet still need serious work, but the finish helps ameliorate the stress of getting there.

I love hole 8.

Even when the tee sign is missing a screw and hanging upside down I still know what hole it is.

the # 8 also is like the infinity symbol of DG. Not only on the scorecard but when the teesign is bend over sideways'

DISClaimer: This hole is still unfinished, so hopefully there will still be some changes made when the hole is done. The following narrative only recounts one experience on one particular day in May 2014.

-----------
From basket 7, since there were no directional aids and several possible directions, I couldn't tell if hole 8 was in the woods or out in the open. I went out of the woods and found an unmarked tee pad but basket 8 was nowhere to be found. There was basket 9, though, on the edge of the pond, so I thought maybe this was the tee for 9 with 8 back in the woods. So I went back into the woods again, but I could find no signs of hole 8, so I headed back out into the open field near the pond. The tee was in an open field with the woods on the right side and the pond on the left side. The tee could be for the 9 basket but it didn't really point to the basket. This is hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but I will try. Going straight from the tee there is an uphill open grass field for about 220 ft then there is about 80 ft of thick weedy undergrowth several feet high. This undergrowth is also about 120 ft wide so you can't get around it to one side. This made no sense as a landing zone to drive into. As mentioned, from the tee you can see basket 9, but it is off to the left, by the pond. Since I couldn't find a basket 8 I thought that maybe there was no hole 8 yet, so I just played from this unnumbered tee to basket 9.
But when I got closer to the basket, about 300 ft from the tee, I found a winding walking trail cut through the very thick woods and another undefined cleared area to the right of this but separated by thick trees. The only purpose I could think of for this parallel cleared corridor was a fairway, but it came to an end and there was no basket there either. Oh, I also saw another black snake. After still more scouting I eventually found basket 8. I discovered that the hole is about 700 feet long, but you can't even see the basket until the final 100 feet or so! So then I walked all the way back to the tee, measuring the length by pacing it, and I started over playing hole 8.
To get as far as possible down the fairway I deliberately threw my drive right into the deep schule, about 260'. Thankfully the disc wasn't lost in thick weeds, but it could easily have been. The schule is so wide that unless you can throw an uphill shot of at least 300 ft (~350 ft equivalent length) you will land in the thick weeds. Farther past the dense weeds then you can see a gap to the corridor cut out of the woods. The gap into the fairway is rather narrow so a drive has to hit a rather small landing zone to be able to get into it. I was too far to the right, so I could only throw a short ~90 ft shot just to try and hit the start of thegap, which I missed. I dinked another little shot just to get in the fairway. Once you get in the corridor you must stay in the fairway because the rough is so thick that you can only toss back out to the fairway. I didn't keep every shot in the fairway, so I slowly worked my way forward until this corridor came to an end, and still the basket was not visible. It's hard to explain, but this corridor ends and then then there is a foliage obstructed area where the end of the fairway intersects the walking path. There is not a clear lane here so you have to loop an S shot out to the left with a left to right curve around the blocked area, but make it hyzer left back onto the fairway. Then you finally hit the last 100 feet of the hole, and at last you can see the basket! If you have gotten this far you are over 600 feet from the tee (which was lost to sight long ago). Getting to this point was a battle, but this a beautiful way to finish. The right side has a very deep drop off down a steep slope to a creek, so that creates high risk vs. reward. Then near the basket there are some very scenic white boulders. The first 600 feet still need serious work, but the finish helps ameliorate the stress of getting there.

The big clump of crap at the end of the tunnel has to go for sure so you can at least see the basket at some point.
I have been teeing a layup shot to the top of the hill then another upshot to the opening of the tunnel. I even asked the day of the first cut where the landing zone was. it just seems to be asking alot of the golfer to throw a pin point 250+ ft shot so you land at the opening.

I'm in the process of lining up a project with the Boy Scouts as an Eagle project for them. If the location doesn't pan out maybe I can use them to polish up #8 at NE.

The big clump of crap at the end of the tunnel has to go for sure so you can at least see the basket at some point.

For sure, at least then players will know that it is a continuous fairway and not be confused about where to go next. But with the bends when you are at the start of the corridor it would still be a few hundred feet more until you get at glimpse of the basket.

I have been teeing a layup shot to the top of the hill then another upshot to the opening of the tunnel. I even asked the day of the first cut where the landing zone was. it just seems to be asking alot of the golfer to throw a pin point 250+ ft shot so you land at the opening.
If you mean a drive to get past the schule up on the hill, at the mouth of the corridor, I put it at more like 350 ft effective length. It's about 300 ft from the tee.

When I paced the hole I got about about 700 ft (~690ish) for the total hole length.

-----------

Good lord man. Is there a Cliff Notes version of this?

Also, paragraphs.

Good lord man. Is there a Cliff Notes version of this?

Hole 8

Cliff Notes version:

Can't tell if unmarked tee is for hole 8, so go in and out of woods scouting.
Can't find basket 8, so wrongly play tee 8 to 9 basket.
Scout all around more and finally find basket 8 way far from tee. (see another black snake)
Trudge all the way back to tee 8, through deep shule patch; pace hole and find out it is ~700 ft.
Drive uphill into huge thick schule patch that is too wide to get around.
Miss gap opening to corridor fairway cut out of thick woods; dink into corridor.
Get down corridor to obstructed end; after 600 ft. still no basket in sight.
Throw S curve around obstruction at end of corridor to next fairway segment.
Final 100 ft is very scenic with steep drop off to stream and nice boulders.
Earn Boy Scout merit badges for Navigation, Survival, and Orienteering

Last edited:
What is par?

I like the cliff notes version, but the ending is unresolved.
Oh, I did finally get it in the basket... after a whole bunch of shots. Took a 9, with no OB circles.

Hole 8

Cliff Notes version:

Scout all around more and finally find basket 8 way far from tee. (see another black snake)
Trudge all the way back to tee 8, through deep shule patch; pace hole and find out it is ~700 ft.
Miss gap opening to corridor fairway cut out of thick woods; dink into corridor.

HA!! :D

trify said:
I like the cliff notes version, but the ending is unresolved.
What is par on #8?

O said:
What is par?

DOUBLE HA!! :D :D

Okay, I might have to go back out to NE Park this weekend. :D

Hey Drew, if you're going to take the old back 9 and merge that with the new course, are you/they going to improve old 17 and 18? 17's fairway is pretty much completely blocked by those two trees branching together (unless you Wiggins arm it over them) and 18 has that one skinny tree smack in the middle that has grown into cluttering that fairway too. Seems like there'd be a much better/natural fairway if you moved the tee about 15-20' to the left and trimmed those branches a little bit.

Let me know if they have any work days or anything out there.

Hole 8

Cliff Notes version:

Attachments

• I find this humerus.jpg
    I find this humerus.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts