• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Questions after "Fundamentals of"

I don't want to detract from the point of the rest of your post (like the more salient skating stop, etc) and the point about children trying to slide this way after learning to skid to a stop, but this is entirely the opposite of what you want in a good slide. Bracing just slows it down, and ties up the lead leg from better playing the ball/base, if it doesn't just outright stop you once cleats are involved. You want to bend/collapse a running leg to engage a slide, then all your momentum will still carry forward. You can pull-off a slide tackle in soccer and the lead play foot can even finish the tackle before it even touches the ground. Just dig up slide tackle montages and you will see what I mean.

Given how much talk is spent on people mimicking what they see (i.e. squish the bug) versus reality, I thought this is a good point to bring up.
You're loosing sight of the purpose being hung up on the wrong details.

You cant slide tackle if you dont mean it.
It's about loosing control in a controlled way to slide tackle, you have to not be afraid to slide, in baseball or soccer.

Concepts must be bent sometimes to apply necessary action.

I hopped on a skateboard a couple of years ago to show my kids what they were supposed to be doing. I was on my ass within 30 seconds. I can't imagine trying to learn skateboarding as an adult.

Read Gnar Country: Growing Old, Staying Rad, by Steven Kotler. He decided to learn extreme trick skiing as an older adult. I had the same problem with terminology as mentioned for skateboarding, I could never visualize what he was trying to do. Had to watch a video of terrain park skiing and..................no. Just..............no.

What are so good brace videos? There's a lot of different stuff floating around on YouTube. Also, any good mental or positional cues? Similar to your cue to elbow down the door with the arm but for the lower body.

Brychanus has mentioned horizontal vs vertical ground forces, and of course Dr Kwon talks at length about them.

It seems likely to me that in standstills these will be mostly vertical, and bracing is quite different. The brace resists lateral movement. (I think). Of course there needs to be some lateral momentum in a standstill but it is less than in an X-step.

One of my questions pages back was if there is a real difference between standstills and runups. It may not be a continuum.

Baseball batters have a huge brace, but they do it with that stride, as do pitchers. I don't see disc golfers with that kind of stride, they go into stepping if they need more distance. But ball golfers don't step. Dr. Scott Lynn, the force plate guy, says amateurs have as much horizontal force as pros, but nowhere near as much vertical, which suggests a different pattern of rotation.

Sorry for thinking out loud.

Just a reminder that in the context of biological movement and bracing, ground forces are separable into horizontal, vertical, and torque components. As SW has pointed out previously, you can learn to throw "pretty far" with good mastery of two of them. I think most AMs have poor to moderate mastery of one of them (with lower power ceilings). I would guess that many proficient throwers have some combination of all three, ranking high on at least two of them. My guess would be Wiggins is quite high on all three, and perhaps the extent to which he can get braced up laterally interacts with the other two (i.e., potential nonlinear gains - that's obviously speculation and may interact with other body variables, so I leave it here for feedback).

These ground forces are to my knowledge best studied in golf and somewhat in baseball - as Timothy suggests the complexity of the added move in an X-step is not trivial, so I think learning optimal mechanics should keep these forces in mind and adapt to the player & their capabilities and body in general. I guess I wouldn't be surprised (or would expect) that the exact pressure patterns and timecourses of the ground forces change in e.g. a high-level long striding standstill or X-step etc. relative to golf or baseball due to the various absolute differences between the moves. SW has some of his own pressure data, I would be interested in what's happening in the top tier distance throwers.

Last edited:
In most people there seems to be a cut off age where doing an off balance movement is just very challenging. Sliding into 2nd base is one yet most older Major Leaguers can still do it easily. At what age would you no longer attempt it?

Just a reminder that in the context of biological movement and bracing, ground forces are separable into horizontal, vertical, and torque components. As SW has pointed out previously, you can learn to throw "pretty far" with good mastery of two of them. I think most AMs have poor to moderate mastery of one of them (with lower power ceilings). I would guess that many proficient throwers have some combination of all three, ranking high on at least two of them. My guess would be Wiggins is quite high on all three, and perhaps the extent to which he can get braced up laterally interacts with the other two (i.e., potential nonlinear gains - that's obviously speculation and may interact with other body variables, so I leave it here for feedback).

These ground forces are to my knowledge best studied in golf and somewhat in baseball - as Timothy suggests the complexity of the added move in an X-step is not trivial, so I think learning optimal mechanics should keep these forces in mind and adapt to the player & their capabilities and body in general. I guess I wouldn't be surprised (or would expect) that the exact pressure patterns and timecourses of the ground forces change in e.g. a high-level long striding standstill or X-step etc. relative to golf or baseball due to the various absolute differences between the moves. SW has some of his own pressure data, I would be interested in what's happening in the top tier distance throwers.

Bry, when comparing GRF in different sports, try to always view the data with an eye on 'are there two feet attached to the ground vs one'. Two feet on the ground typically produce a force couple (torque) not seen in DG with most pressure only on lead foot.

Bry, when comparing GRF in different sports, try to always view the data with an eye on 'are there two feet attached to the ground vs one'. Two feet on the ground typically produce a force couple (torque) not seen in DG with most pressure only on lead foot.
Thanks - fair to assume that there is/could be a continuum from a golf-like narrow stance standstill in DG to a full momentum x-step with maximum emphasis in the horizontal plane (e.g., Wiggins' move)?

In ball golf, the force couple between the feet is created by the feet pushing against the ground in opposite directions, and providing torque, resulting in rotation around the vertical axis. In a DG standstill it is still more of a horizontal linear force by transferring pressure from trail to lead foot, not a torquing move like ball golf. The force used to pull the disc (theoretically) begins when nearly all of the pressure is on the lead foot, essentially eliminating any potential couple.

I misremembered the ball golf difference between amateur and pro. The amateur had pro level lateral force but much less rotational. Apologies, wanted to correct that.

It seems likely to me that in standstills these will be mostly vertical, and bracing is quite different. The brace resists lateral movement. (I think). Of course there needs to be some lateral momentum in a standstill but it is less than in an X-step.

Couple of things:
1. I wonder if it would be better served to practice the one-step/plant foot drill to get better acquainted with bracing, the ground force, and the actual feel of the throw than trying to do so with a standstill. Maybe it's me, but I think there is a tendency to put too much weight over the front/plant foot while throwing from a standstill.

2. This ties in to the first point, but your comment brings something helpful to mind that Rhatton and Loopghost have mentioned about pushing back with the brace leg to get a feel for bracing:

4:44 for Rhatton's video and about 4:30 for Loopghost

I find that getting into disc golf at an old age, without playing most other sports beforehand, is it's own challenge. I don't have skills from other sports to translate here. I played some basketball when I was younger, but other physical activities were hiking, swimming, and weight training. But none of those really translate into disc golf. That said, I'm still reading this "Fundamentals of Backhand Form" document, and that helps a lot. I'm in the group of people that Scott Stokely calls "overthinkers" and unfortunately we need materials like this to move past barriers. I will have questions once I finish reading it.

Coach Taylor, I have pinged you to see if you'd entertain a brief direct discussion on some of these recent topics at some point (if it is unwelcome, no worries and I can relent). I'm an academic with an interest in coaching so my own motives on this topic only go as far as that.

I find that getting into disc golf at an old age, without playing most other sports beforehand, is it's own challenge. I don't have skills from other sports to translate here. I played some basketball when I was younger, but other physical activities were hiking, swimming, and weight training. But none of those really translate into disc golf. That said, I'm still reading this "Fundamentals of Backhand Form" document, and that helps a lot. I'm in the group of people that Scott Stokely calls "overthinkers" and unfortunately we need materials like this to move past barriers. I will have questions once I finish reading it.

Nick, I have needed a ton of developmental aids and coaching help from SW to get my body/brain remotely in a spot to throw better (farther more easily and safely). I had very little of these things in youth too.

One of the areas I want to improve and continue to be responsive to feedback and data is regarding the force components and ground pressure when seeking optimal mechanics (as you can see above).

For instance, once of the reasons that I asked about narrow stance standstills is that the initial stance and motion are more golf-like, though the swing is modified to be one-armed and more horizontal out of the backswing toward the target relative to a golf club swing. So I have been aware that this would modify the force components in theory and potentially change how they are distributed.

In ball golf (which I believe was Coach Taylor's long time primary profession), I have also been aware of the torque component and vertical rotation around the axis, and both ball golf and disc golf have of course spines also moving in the context of the swing as is well-described in resources e.g. in The Hips thread on DGCR.

At face value I think I understand Coach Taylor's responses above, and I am hoping that the results of some of the university studies Coach Taylor mentioned become publicly viewable at some point. I do think some of how throw/swing concepts are communicated still suffers some of the "Wild West" syndrome, so it remains a goal of mine to keep talking with people and consuming data/real studies where available.

Last edited:
I finished reading the 1.0 version of the PDF today, and was unaware until today there's a 1.0.2 version. Hopefully these suggestions are still valid or worth considering or discussing. Keep in mind I'm not an expert in this subject matter, just highly technical and literate. I'm quite open to the possibility that I misread, misinterpret, or misunderstand some things, and this is intended to clarify or in some way improve the guide, which I really enjoyed reading.

Page 13, 15, 59, 64 - Curling the wrist is not supination of the wrist, and maybe that should be more clear. But I read the examples on these pages and interpreted supination as curling, which are different actions (pouring the coffee vs wrist curls).

Page 77 (3.4 Drive Leg Mechanics) - The drive leg is the rear leg, and the plant leg the front leg. The drive leg is introduced on page 40, mentioned 4 times before it's differentiated on page 52, but I think the two should be distinguished at some point prior to the Drive Leg Mechanics section near the end of the book. It seems to me this is supposed to be understood by default, but maybe not everyone does.

Page 78 - (and a few others I didn't note) The text refers to pictures on the following page. This may be unavoidable, but maybe not.

Page 89 - Backswing disc wing up or down. I unintentionally use the wing up style as demonstrated by Paige Pierce, and cannot stop doing it. I don't want the wing to tilt up, or down for that matter. I want to to largely flatten out, and match the essential trajectory I plan to release the disc on. My concern is that correction does not occur quickly enough during the backswing to keep the disc traveling essentially on the correct plane of the throw. I also tend to leave the disc more fully behind me when I throw, though I am training myself to bring it "out" or "wide" on upshots. I can't make that happen on drives or even more powerful standstill throws. The correction my body does, when bringing the disc back in-line with the trajectory, is that the outer-facing side of the disc drops down, and the results is a nose-up throw. While this might seem like a digression, focusing on me, I think this is more common than people realize, and if not suitably corrected for many, will create more off-axis torque than would otherwise occur.

Page 91 - In the image, the top two pictures of the amateurs are diagonal to the pictures of the two pros at the bottom. I just think it makes it harder to track the wing up vs down comparison at a glance.

Page 92 - I'm glad someone mentions that Rebecca Cox rounds. Mind you, she's one of my favorite disc golfers ever, I've met her, and she's super nice. But she does round, unfortunately, and I hope someone helps her with that in the future. I'm a huge fan, but unfortunately unsolicited advice is seen as punitive or derogatory, or more recently "mansplaining." Though to be fair she's probably not easily offended, and may know of the issue already.

Page 94 - I think this implies that the disc should be near the right pec in a high speed drive (using a cross-step), but when the body is more upright (not tilted in any way) in a standstill throw, the center of gravity might be closer to the middle, and the disc might best be closer to the sternum, between the pectorals, when in the power pocket.

Page 95 - It might be better to explain that the wrist should be either flat or slightly curled during the power pocket, but it's not as important elsewhere, such as the peak of the backswing. I see some pros extend the wrist at peak extension, but correct during the swing. Holyn Handley comes to mind. I do this to some extent, incidentally.

Page 97 - I think the "holding a beverage and learning to move without spilling it" is a highlight of the book. Such a great metaphor.

Page 102 - If possible, arrange the order of people in the picture from smallest ape index to largest, to go along with the graphic.

Edit:

Consider changing "CoG" to "center of gravity" in the body text (not necessarily the image text) as I think it reads better, conversationally. Other terms like "center of mass" are not similarly abbreviated, and I think we should stay away from "CoG" when possible in the literature, but it's perfectly fine in conversations about it. I would do a literal "replace" function inside Adobe Reader to search for CoG (case-sensitive) with center of gravity. (no upper case letters, or dashes)

Last edited:
(lots of good feedback)
This is all great & much appreciated Nick! I'll start integrating some of the straightforward ones and reply more thoroughly to a couple of the deeper issues you mentioned above when I get a few minutes.

For general awareness, I'll keep updating the version at the main link and in my signature when I get time. 1.0.3. will include additional feedback from Nick and others on the main Fundamentals thread.

As we consider other tensions/open questions on the current thread future edits will point out areas of potential differences in emphasis or differences in fundamentals among commentators. This is why I am open to & continue to reach out to others during this process, and my coauthor and I are sensitive to data when it is available.

I consider myself "Mr. APT" since I'm prominently featured at the top left of page 47 (though I am better now!). I have a lot of thoughts on the issue.

1) I think the inclusion of Anthony Barela kind of weakens the argument. We are talking about arguably the furthest thrower on the planet, and he throws with spine extension/APT. Here is touring pro and **1021** rated golfer Austin turner throwing (shirtless) with clear spine extension/APT;

2) Perhaps the biggest point. I have brought this up before. Spine extension/APT is a chicken/egg problem:

A) is APT caused by a lack of core strength/mobility/physical limitation or

B) is APT caused by a flawed "internal model" of the throw?

If you ask me **today** I would say it's 80%B and 20%B. Indeed the better shape you are in the less this exists, but both AB and Austin Turner are in great shape and elite disc golfers (and by some coincidence both from Arizona) but exhibit APT and spine extension. I would put good money that even if you were an Olympic gymnast, you could still throw in spine extension/APT given your "internal model"/training/body mechanics or preferences

To me there does point to some sort of swing model that allows for high level distance *despite* spine extension/APT though it may not apply to everyone. I think there are bodies that make it work

Last edited:
I consider myself "Mr. APT" since I'm prominently featured at the top left of page 47 (though I am better now!). I have a lot of thoughts on the issue.

1) I think the inclusion of Anthony Barela kind of weakens the argument. We are talking about arguably the furthest thrower on the planet, and he throws with spine extension/APT. Here is touring pro and **1021** rated golfer Austin turner throwing (shirtless) with clear spine extension/APT;

2) Perhaps the biggest point. I have brought this up before. Spine extension/APT is a chicken/egg problem:

A) is APT caused by a lack of core strength/mobility/physical limitation or

B) is APT caused by a flawed "internal model" of the throw?

If you ask me **today** I would say it's 80%B and 20%B. Indeed the better shape you are in the less this exists, but both AB and Austin Turner are in great shape and elite disc golfers (and by some coincidence both from Arizona) but exhibit APT and spine extension. I would put good money that even if you were an Olympic gymnast, you could still throw in spine extension/APT given your "internal model"/training/body mechanics or preferences

To me there does point to some sort of swing model that allows for high level distance *despite* spine extension/APT though it may not apply to everyone. I think there are bodies that make it work

Thanks for weighing in, and I agree your APT is reduced! Weighing in on each point here, let's see if we can find consensus. Aware that Coach Taylor or SW might also weigh in with different emphasis, which I encourage.

1. If you only define "The Good Swing" as efficiency, it only would consider high power at relatively low effort like the image on the current title page suggests (of course I don't know what AB or Turner feel, but I assume they get plenty of power at lower effort than most amateurs). In that case, I agree that AB and Turner are potentially problematic counterpoints, aside from the somewhat scary idea that AB could find an alternate form without APT and throw even farther. Your points and the case of AB in particular made me realize that what we should probably do in the figure on the title page is add an explicit "Safety" third dimension, and adjust some text accordingly (with appropriate caveats). I'll try to advance that argument and address some of the important related points you raise here.

See if you agree that "The Good Swing" should entail maximizing Safety and Power with minimum Effort.***

1691540495772.png
2. If you meant 80% A and 20% B, I think I'm inclined to agree. I try to keep in mind that there all kinds of different ways to be in great shape for one thing but not another. For example, I've now seen several players, especially those with heavy barbell weightlifting backgrounds, who benefit from rebuilding their exercise programs to focus on core flexibility, mobility, and dynamic strength, and a lot of one-legged or moving lifts that help them carry their posture with less APT. I am an example of this and am just barely crawling out of that trench now. But I'm not objecting to the idea that it's some mix of both, and there are open questions there.

3. I don't think there's a strong argument that says you can't throw far with APT for the reasons you mentioned. And after all, individual bodies differ and are highly adaptable, especially if you start young. I think my only area of concern from a coaching perspective for players like AB or Turner or yourself, there are data from other contexts like golf that more spine extension/APT in the posture is associated with lower back ailments. In many other load bearing/forceful movements, more neutral spine position with less APT is usually more mechanically efficient in the few studies I can find that appear to control variables or do true interventions. But even if we put that aside and suppose AB or Turner could not throw farther without the APT, I worry about injury risk/Safety. It also seems like those people are more likely to have knee hyperextension on power drives, but that's just via looking at lots of individual DG backhand cases now. Even if it's not leading to many acute injuries yet, my concern is how people like AB or Turner (or you with more APT) will be faring in their 40s or later if they keep throwing with those mechanics. However, applying any of those concepts or data to DG is speculative to my knowledge, other than the datapoints of people who have learned to throw far and report lower back pain or injuries.

Here's a recent review on golfer mechanisms of injuries, including to the spine with some association with spine extension (APT). Of course, we don't have great studies about how much of this applies to the DG backhand, but food for thought:

Example intervention study of APT retraining on gait and hamstring injury (I noticed that both my calves and hamstrings got less injured after working on posture exercises aimed at mitigating APT myself, not sure if this generalizes):

Like pretty much every applied science there are some blind spots but there's interesting stuff out there.

***And we could add Consistency as maybe the fourth important main dimension but it's getting hard to pack it into a simple figure lol

Last edited:
Nick, everything was very clear to me, thank you. I'll do the straightforward edits in the meantime.

To some of the meatier topics:
Page 13, 15, 59, 64 - Curling the wrist is not supination of the wrist, and maybe that should be more clear. But I read the examples on these pages and interpreted supination as curling, which are different actions (pouring the coffee vs wrist curls).
Agree, I'll clean up instances of anatomical sloppiness. I was trying to keep it as light as possible, but it shouldn't be at the expense of clarity in body degrees of freedom.

Wrist actions - https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ge/Flexion.Extension.Pronation.Supination.jpg
Page 89 - Backswing disc wing up or down. I unintentionally use the wing up style as demonstrated by Paige Pierce, and cannot stop doing it. I don't want the wing to tilt up, or down for that matter. I want to to largely flatten out, and match the essential trajectory I plan to release the disc on. My concern is that correction does not occur quickly enough during the backswing to keep the disc traveling essentially on the correct plane of the throw. I also tend to leave the disc more fully behind me when I throw, though I am training myself to bring it "out" or "wide" on upshots. I can't make that happen on drives or even more powerful standstill throws. The correction my body does, when bringing the disc back in-line with the trajectory, is that the outer-facing side of the disc drops down, and the results is a nose-up throw. While this might seem like a digression, focusing on me, I think this is more common than people realize, and if not suitably corrected for many, will create more off-axis torque than would otherwise occur.
I think this is a good point straddling the coaching/learning and concepts line, so maybe you'll indulge a couple words about that.

Sidewinder for instance tends to state the backswing doesn't matter much as we wrote in the guide as long as the pattern of movement exiting the backswing is correct. There's variability in the wing angle in many pros, suggesting you can throw pretty far with variability - but the farthest throwers tend to all not round/hug themselves. That's also why some amateur or instructor definitions of rounding are "suspect" - as long as you convert in leverage without your body getting in the way of the swing, it can possibly be functional.

Treading into anecdotes/case examples, I personally and I think many students tend to find that straight-arm reachbacks can make it easier to get mastery over the backswing and swing plane when they plant. If the arm is basically just following through/committing the leverage into the release, it may be functional. I also have found for me and others that straighter arm reachbacks tend to have less stress at the elbow and shoulder if the action pattern is good. Notably Wiggins has one of these, and that is also consistent with Coach Taylor's discussion about achieving power via humeral abduction despite any lingering questions about cause and effect there.

Page 94 - I think this implies that the disc should be near the right pec in a high speed drive (using a cross-step), but when the body is more upright (not tilted in any way) in a standstill throw, the center of gravity might be closer to the middle, and the disc might best be closer to the sternum, between the pectorals, when in the power pocket.
I think this depends a little on the standstill style - my standstill definitely involves braced tilt for instance and has significantly less power without the posture that involves. It has less momentum/net force coming into the move though, and it's possible that the arm naturally follows the pattern you're describing as you scale up in form and momentum and add the X, etc (partial speculation there). I can say that it definitely feels like I'm swinging through my "Center of gravity" when I X-step, but on the best ones the disc is resisting the centrifugal force/redirecting to what appear higher on camera - and the disc is much deeper into the right pec. I'd be curious about any general patterns there!
Page 95 - It might be better to explain that the wrist should be either flat or slightly curled during the power pocket, but it's not as important elsewhere, such as the peak of the backswing. I see some pros extend the wrist at peak extension, but correct during the swing. Holyn Handley comes to mind. I do this to some extent, incidentally.
I think this is good to mention. As long as you aren't getting too wet noodly or too muscled at the wrong times and preserve leverage, this can be fine. Gibson's wrist also tends to go into extension at the peak of his backswing and this was one of the illusions that Slingshot fell victim to when building his own form (the kind of swing "lag" that I believe Coach Taylor also disagrees with).

Consider changing "CoG" to "center of gravity" in the body text (not necessarily the image text) as I think it reads better, conversationally. Other terms like "center of mass" are not similarly abbreviated, and I think we should stay away from "CoG" when possible in the literature, but it's perfectly fine in conversations about it. I would do a literal "replace" function inside Adobe Reader to search for CoG (case-sensitive) with center of gravity. (no upper case letters, or dashes)
This was bothering me too. I think I might use "center of gravity" to be consistent across the text and more clearly distinguish weight, pressure, center of gravity, and center of mass.

Really appreciate all of this so far!

On the topic of safety I see a lot of people dry firing practice swings like they're trying to push 500. Probably not good for the body.
I've also seen people do this. I tried it once and never did it again. Basically if you're not ejecting the disc the force can only find its way back into the ground and your body (joints go owie!)

I'm still really fond of this one. You can get a good medium speed swing and feel the weight/resistance if you follow through. Sometimes I do it with two putters stacked flight plate to flight plate for more weight & air resistance in the deep dish. I think this was an important part of developing my arm kinetics and it definitely affects my warmup & first drives.

U8zjZPy.gif

Just to be clear, supination (of the forearm) is neither pouring the coffee nor curling your wrist.

Wrist curls are ulnar flexion and extension and pouring the coffee is ulnar deviation. Supination is turning your forearm so that your palm faces up/towards your face (unless your arm is in a funky position).