• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] BOSS Love??

Bosses under 160 grams are all over the place in stability. I couldn't find any high PLHs in person where I live and hoping for one via online is like playing Russian roulette with a glock. My search for a lightweight stable/overstable distance driver led my away from the Boss and into the warm embrace of the VIP Air Giant. They just seem to be more consistent disc to disc to me. If I could get my hands on a stack of beefy Bosses in the high 150's I'd be tempted to switch back, but the likelihood of that happening is slim.

My pop top purple star boss used to be my go to favorite driver until I got off in to Lat 64 stuff, and also started discing down a bit. I keep it in the bag though, no way I'd leave home without it for straight bomb shots. On my home course there are 2 holes it's a definite on, they're 550' and 576' holes with wide open areas to throw in. I wasn't a fan of the disc until I could get it up to speed and get a nice big s curve out of it.

Bosses under 160 grams are all over the place in stability. I couldn't find any high PLHs in person where I live and hoping for one via online is like playing Russian roulette with a glock. My search for a lightweight stable/overstable distance driver led my away from the Boss and into the warm embrace of the VIP Air Giant. They just seem to be more consistent disc to disc to me. If I could get my hands on a stack of beefy Bosses in the high 150's I'd be tempted to switch back, but the likelihood of that happening is slim.

Over on the McBeth Destroyer thread, there's people saying that the 155g - 159g McBeth Star Destroyers being sold on DiscGolfValues right now are pretty beefy, so maybe that would be an option for you.

In terms of Bosses, I don't know of any way to differentiate stability without seeing them in person. Back when I was throwing Bosses, I had good luck ordering red Star Bosses in the high 160's online. Those all seemed to have nice pop top domes. They weren't super OS, but all the ones I got were definitely bombers. This thread is making me want to get them back out to see if they still fly as far as I remember... :)

I got a old Dave feldburg champ boss that is super flippy now it is my farthest flying disc. You have to throw it on a spike now an let it flip to flat otherwise it's a roller

I am reviving this thread. I feel like there should be some love for the Boss again. I just revisited the Boss after not wanting to pay $35-40 on backup AJ Destroyers. I must say the Boss is very underrated and it will be staying the bag. I have 4 in the bag right now:

168g pro Boss (beefy)
168g pro Boss (good glide and finish left)
172g gstar Boss (little turn, great glide and a softer finish left)
175g star Boss (max distance driver or turnovers)

Anyone else still loving the Boss?

I am reviving this thread. I feel like there should be some love for the Boss again. I just revisited the Boss after not wanting to pay $35-40 on backup AJ Destroyers. I must say the Boss is very underrated and it will be staying the bag.
Anyone else still loving the Boss?

I still like the Boss, but I've disced down, so my super-flippy Starlite Boss stays at home now. I have a Feldberg Champion Boss, and always dreamed of one day growing into it. Not there yet; may never be; won't give up trying.

Its a love/hate thing. I hate the fade, and the lack of glide, but my longest throws, both forehand and backhand involve Boss's.

I think Innova has gotten sloppy on molding Bosses lately. I've been seeing lots of flat, glideless ones. They've also gotten more beefy. The early Feldberg champion Bosses were excellent. Perfect stability and glide. Now you see flat ones that won't fly well.

I still bag a nice 173 Feldberg Boss and its a pure bomber that will take a hard throw without flipping.

I think the Shryke has upstaged the Boss now. It's a bit less stable, but just as fast and with more glide and less low speed fade. I get more distance easily from the Shryke than I can from a Boss.

Last edited:
153 blizzard boss is amazing and predictable to for me in any condition. I love it! It is my best distance driver. and my favorite disk in the bag by far.

I found another one in the mud by a pond not long ago. It is like 170 or something, maybe champion. It is nothing like the 153. It must be a 0 or 1 on the high speed turn. It's only useful to me for hard left hooks and distance is crap. I guess I just can't throw it hard enough.

I surprised myself today with a nice S shot today with the 153. I anhyzered it between some trees by the lake it flew over the lake to the right and faded right back left right under the basket. The guys I were with and I were all high 5s. This is my go to driver disk and I hope I never lose it or damage it too bad.

Say what you will about the wind conditions at the Desert Wind, but there is a reason a Boss has held the last two world distance records.

Even if the winds produce impossibly far distances, the best distances were with Bosses.

Say what you will about the wind conditions at the Desert Wind, but there is a reason a Boss has held the last two world distance records.

Even if the winds produce impossibly far distances, the best distances were with Bosses.

Bosses are very long. Still among the longest molds out there.

Picked up a couple of Star Bosses the other day, one is embossed and the other is *BO. Both weigh 170 (marked 170 and I weight myself).

Embossed has a dome to it, slightly flatter wing whereas the *BO is flat top and wing is similar to the old Feldberg Champ Bosses.

Going to bag the domier one, as I believe it should be less beefy and have more glide. Anybody know anything about Star Bosses?

Last time I threw Bosses was back when I could hit 450' forehand with ease. They were the Feldberg ones. These will be mostly forehand distance drivers. I like how they feel in the hand.

Alex Russell Boss up on innova pro shop, actually a pretty cool stamp.

Unrelated, the plethora of tour series discs might need to be pared down moving forward.

Alex Russell Boss up on innova pro shop, actually a pretty cool stamp.

Unrelated, the plethora of tour series discs might need to be pared down moving forward.

I wish all the Champion team Tour Series discs had that stamp. This year's were a mess. All over the place. Alex's is super clean.

What's the word on Gstar Bosses?

I've thrown a couple, but not recently. G* Bosses tend to be somewhat flippy and very long. They kinda remind me of a Katana. Some high speed turn, great glide, and a decent late fade.

G* Bosses are a good option if you think champions are too overstable.

I've thrown a couple, but not recently. G* Bosses tend to be somewhat flippy and very long. They kinda remind me of a Katana. Some high speed turn, great glide, and a decent late fade.

G* Bosses are a good option if you think champions are too overstable.

I like the Gstar Corvette and wanted to try a Boss for a little more stability when needed.

Latest posts