• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brace leg foot advice

ebailey23

Hello,

I am having a terrible time getting my brace leg foot to turn. I start from my toe and then crush the can; however, my foot stays closed through my entire shot. By the end of my throw, I look like I am tripping myself. My backside comes through as much as it can.

I see the pros brace leg foot turns forward about the same time the disc leaves their hand. Turning the front foot allows the back side to come through naturally instead of being forced, as I have to do.

I am looking for any advice, tips, or drills to help me overcome this issue. I guess that once corrected, I will add some distance since my loaded back side will transfer and go through my shot into the follow-through.

Yeah, should learn to fix that, usually bad news for joints. The brace should form and un-form as part of the overall process. It should be like walking or running braces you transiently when moving forward, but in the direction and scaling with the swing momentum.

You might be collapsing at the knee or hip when you plant (video would tell), which tends to also get the foot more "stuck." Or you might be "knifing" in too hard into the lateral stride getting jammed up, preventing the foot pressure from flowing naturally through the swing.

In the DG throw, after the foot pressure and leg leverage against the ground finishes helping them transfer the force up the chain to the disc, their throwing arm is deweighting the front foot and helping pull it around into follow through.

That's what he's doing here:
https://youtu.be/k4-IN1yMQXc?t=407

I had some success retraining my plant leg action with this move in particular:
XhwUZdt.gif

And finally scaling it into bigger shifts on two legs with Ride the Bull:
https://youtu.be/GxnhM5amro0?t=75

Most people do these moves wrong the same way that they do them wrong in their swing, so seeking feedback is advised.

Sometimes which I watch SW/seabas videos I imagine that he just finished browsing these forums at 1am, grumbled "Gonna teach these god**** kids some god**** lessons," filled up his pint glass, slipped on some flipflops, and got to god**** work.