• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Breaking In Discs

So lately i've been trying out news discs and companies. I love finding new discs but hate the process of breaking them in. I've only broken in my discs by playing with them and because i'm still kind of new to the game i hit a decent amount of trees on my bad days and a few here and there on my good days. I love a nice broken in disc but hate how long it takes. Is there any other way to break a disc in quicker? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks

I used to throw whatever disc I'm trying to break in after every shot I took, then when I get within range of the basket I whip the disc in the basket a couple times. Probably not the best option but it worked for me

Ive heard of people using their dryer without the heat lol. . Never tried it myself so I can't comment on whether or not it works well. Just go throw a bunch of rollers idk

There are several ways to quickly break in a disc but none can replace breaking them in over time.

Some options:
  • Thumbers, thumbers, and more thumbers
  • Rollers on concrete
  • Throws into walls/the ground
  • Wrap it in a towel (optional) and throw it in the dryer on no heat with occasional tests to see how it is
  • Skip shots off pavement
  • Multiple one disc rounds with it on a heavily wooded course

The other thing to do is to familiarize yourself with the concept of the Parting Line Height, or PLH as you'll find it here. The higher the parting line, the more overstable the disc. Take the disc that's seasoned the way you like it into the store with you and compare it with the available discs in the mold you want. Look for a replacement with a lower PLH, and it will act less overstable/more understable than the one you like did when it was new. Just know that, as it seasons, it will season to be less overstable/more understable than the one you like is.

One last option I'll give it to start seasoning a fresh disc now. Once it gets to the flight you like, put it aside and start on another new one. That way you'll always have a backup.

Last edited:
There are several ways to quickly break in a disc but none can replace breaking them in over time.

I hate to admit it, but this is about it..... I wish I could break some in quicker, but I know the best way is to just use them.

awesome thanks everyone. I'm gonna try some of these idea's and hope they break in nicely. I'll make sure to post how well these methods work.

Never had a problem breaking in discs because theres some heavily wooded and rocky courses around here. I can see how it would be tough in a state like florida though...

Just stand close to a tree and throw at it as hard as you can. Works the same as breaking it in over time from playing, but much faster (obviously)

Well i live in Michigan and there are plenty of wooded courses but i just hate the long process of breaking in a disc. Now when it comes to rapping the disc in a towel and putting it in the dryer with no heat on, how long should i leave it in there?

Never had a problem breaking in discs because theres some heavily wooded and rocky courses around here. I can see how it would be tough in a state like florida though...

That works for beating a dx roc into a straight/flippy disc, but I need to beat my ESP Flick so I have a replacement for my flippy Flick (yes, it's really flippy).

Now when it comes to rapping the disc in a towel and putting it in the dryer with no heat on, how long should i leave it in there?

Until it's ready? I haven't actually tried it. I work my discs in with one disc rounds in the woods and thumbers. It takes longer, but I actually get to know it while it's seasoning. It gives me more confidence in it too since every disc seasons differently, even if it's the same mold.

I have a little setup to adjust PLH. I have a Pot Cover (cooking pot) that is exactly the size of a disc. I have a slightly rounded dinner plate I use upside down on the floor. Place disc on dinner plate, place pot cover on disc, place 25 pound weight on top of pot cover, place 75 pound weight on 25 pound weight. Wait 1-7 days depending on disc and plastic. Narrow rims take longer, champ takes longer. Let disc sit for 2 days after taking out, it will try to return to its previous state (plastic memory). Measure and repeat if necessary.

Just send them to me. My nephews can break in Champ plastic in @ an hour and a half.
Upside the barn, against the trees, thru the gravel driveway, out into the street, on top of the house, everywhere imaginable against the practice basket,...you see where I'm going w/ this?
;)

You can also do a little in hand tuning. Bend the discs flight plate together inside (disc facing down or away) all around the rim to lower the PLH, To make it more overstable bend the flight plate back raising the PLH.

Some options:
  • Thumbers, thumbers, and more thumbers
  • Rollers on concrete
  • Throws into walls/the ground
  • Wrap it in a towel (optional) and throw it in the dryer on no heat with occasional tests to see how it is
  • Skip shots off pavement
  • Multiple one disc rounds with it on a heavily wooded course

The other thing to do is to familiarize yourself with the concept of the Parting Line Height, or PLH as you'll find it here. The higher the parting line, the more overstable the disc. Take the disc that's seasoned the way you like it into the store with you and compare it with the available discs in the mold you want. Look for a replacement with a lower PLH, and it will act less overstable/more understable than the one you like did when it was new. Just know that, as it seasons, it will season to be less overstable/more understable than the one you like is.

One last option I'll give it to start seasoning a fresh disc now. Once it gets to the flight you like, put it aside and start on another new one. That way you'll always have a backup.

I agree 100% with what tbird said but I'll add buying used discs at PIAS, off of the marketplace on here, buying from facebook auctions or buying/trading from friends/people you meet on the course works also.

My opinion is DON'T be mean to your discs! They have a lifespan and you are just shortening that when you beat em up. Learn to throw them as they are, or reach for some understable plastic... They will break in soon enough...

I would highly recommend you to buy baseline plastic or go to play it again sports. You would be amazed at how many good players(top level ams and open guys) go into play it again after losing a disc of their that was beat in, only to fondle a few of the same mold and find a quick beat to crap replacement. Its better than worrying about it or spending years. What I also do is I cycle a few molds in my bag when I am playing rec rounds. Such as I have 2 beat in first run buzzz, i am working a newer stock buzzz to being beat in and the part few months it went from stable to straight. A few throws here and there, a few extra shots you will be taking anyways make a difference.

Latest posts