• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Burchfield Park, Lansing Mi

nojjjj

Par Member
Sorry if I failed with the search function (google or here) but I heard a few people talking about a new disc course in Burchfield Park.

I have seen mention of it on the CCR webpage, but no more information.

What I want to know (before I drive out there to see) is if there is a course in the ground/about to be in the ground.

Thanks

We discussed Burchfield in the DG courses with mountain biking trails thread a while back. Last I knew it was still in the planning stages. I know the mountain bike trails are currently being re-rerouted to avoid the DG course, but I don't know if the course is in yet, or not. I'll do some checking and get back to you.

OK. I did lots of searching and couldn't find anything other than ground breaking in May. You may want to call the park at (517) 676-2233 before heading over there.

Last edited:
Hmm I had heard that half of it was in from a friend (at least half) but couldn't seem to find any more info. Was hoping someone on here was the one(s) putting it in and could give me an answer.

Guess I'll call/ drop by tomorrow.

Thanks

Latest word that I've gotten (3rd hand, so don't know how accurate it is): The fairways are cut and tees and basket are marked but not installed yet.

tees

Hey all,
I was out at Burchfield biking and I actually found myself getting off the trail and noticed that there were cement tees in. I had no idea there was going to be a golf course but knew when I saw them what it was. I only saw 2 or 3 holes, but all of those had both pro and am pads. The basket location is also marked with poles but were not in yet. I dont know if they will be in before the ground gets too hard or not be in until next season. Good luck, keep posting updates

UPDATE

Hey all,
I just got back from the park. I was given a full tour of the course. almost all of the tees are in, but no baskets yet. Every hole will have 2 tees and 2 baskets, giving a total of 4 different ways to play each hole!! it looks absolutely awesome!! They have a lot of plans for it. They are going to be planting pine trees and deciduous trees everywhere, to act as dividing agents and obstacles alike. They are trying to have it in by the end of fall, but there is still a lot of work to go. I can't wait to get a chance to play it.

Just looked at Burchfield Park's Facebook page and it looks like as soon as spring rolls around the course will be open!

Can't wait! :clap:

I am very excited too! If you want to get even more giddy with excitement they have an aerial course layout through their park website. Click on the "Map" hyperlink where it talks about disc golf. Some holes, if to scale, look like monsters! I can't wait to rip some drives here.

Burchfield Park, Holt Michigan

881 Grovenburg Road, Holt Mi

I couldn't bump the last thread (er didn't think I could, didn't read the 'fine print') made on this course, so I decided to make a new one since there is new information now.

From the park's facebook page
Lately the office has been fielding a lot of inquiries into the Disc Golf Course in production at Burchfield Park. I don't have a concrete date, but plan on an early June opening! Grass will be planted over much of the course in May, (things are pretty bare and muddy right now). But once the grass takes hold we plan on opening the course up to players!

Map of the course
http://www.ingham.org/pk/summeractivities/Disc Golf Map.pdf

Old thread
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16820&highlight=burchfield

Last edited:
Layout looks boring and cluttered at the same time. I hope they don't go with dual baskets on that piece of property with that layout......Just Sayin.

Well if they are pushing it to June now then I guess they are cancelling the tournament they had planned in May.

Last edited:
The May tournament Is still on. The park really wants the course ready before they open it up. So the plan is to install 18 of the baskets for tournament and then take them back down after to give the grass time to come in and get established. They are going to install 18 baskets a week ahead of time so anyone playing the tounament on the 21st/22nd will have the opportunity to play the course beforehand.

Just want to post this from another forum.. Help wanted! (posted by Matt Rinker)

"Volunteers needed!!! May 7th at 230 pm and May 14th at 230 pm we are having work days at Burchfield to help the park expedite the process. On the 7th we'll be putting in directional arrows and hopefully some tees signs... amongst other manual labor type of tasks. This day would be a great opportunity for those to come out and see the course and get a feel for it before they throw.
On the 14th we'll be putting in the baskets and maybe a few other finishing touches. Then it's game on!
So please come help. The parks already done so much, lets show them our appreciation! "

18 baskets are in and the short tees are playable. There is a lot of new grass on the course so it would be appreciated if we could be as careful as possible about damaging it.

This is a very good course, played it a couple of weeks ago, im glad i live only 5 minutes away from it :)

Yeah, I was hating on this course earlier in the year. My view changed a little after playing it though. There were no tee signs when I played and it was a little confusing at a couple spots, but once they are in, this will be a very nice course.

The layout is not my favorite of all time, cus it's still WAY to open of a course for my likings. Although a couple of the wooded holes reminded me of Idlewild holes, that was cool.

I will say theres A LOT of dedication to have this course looking nice. There were like 15-20 people working on the course when I was there. There's gonna be some awsome landscaping here. Rock surrounded basket greens, a few sand bunkers, a custom brick wall on one hole, and more.

I still say they could have used their other land and made it way better, but regardless it will probably be a top notch course when all said and done. In a few months it will be a must play for the Lansing area, along with Sleepy Hollow

Last edited:
Played the course for the second time yesterday. I played it the first time before the tourny and I have to say they added alot. They have short and long tees as well as short and long baskets. There are alot of options as far as distance of holes. The long to long are ridiculous. Even short to long is pretty ridiculous. I liked it alot better the second time around though. The only thing that brings it down in my book is the price. 7 dollars a day to park and play. 70 for an annual park/disc pass. I guess they need to charge that much for the 40k they put into it. Ill have to play it a couple more times before I review it though.