• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling on Ratings Guru's.

For the amount of work to do handicapping compared to the cost of DGU, I think anyone running a league should seriously look at their program. It costs $10 per year per member, even less if you get a club discount. Players can track their personal handicaps separate from league play to their heart's content. It uses the same calculation engine as the PDGA ratings including adjusting for course difficulty/SSA. A 7.5 handicap in DGU is pretty much equivalent to 925 rating in the PDGA.

How do you register if you're a pdga member and not pay? I never figured out how to do that.

Not sure. Contact the PDGA office first to see what the procedure is.

As far as handicapping advice, we discovered the best way to do it was have two pools and players could choose each week what they wanted to do. They could either play in the handicap pool or the Open pool using straight scores. The top players want to play straight up because they feel screwed by handicaps since it's hard to beat the fast improving players in handicapping no matter how you do adjustments in the relatively short time period of a league.

I'm trying to figure out a way to start getting many of the lower pro league players into the city (i.e. me) into the money, since I don't need KC Cash to buy any more discs. I like the idea of some sort of split league. I really like the Bushwackers league up in Iowa, but I couldn't get the KC folks to go along with the idea.

In a handicap I play in there were complaints of that sort so our commish decided to split everyone into three divisions with separate payouts for each. The cutoffs shift from time to time but it's usually something like +5 to -5, -6 to -11, and -11 to -20 (the maximum allowed handicap). Everyone has been pretty happy with it and the complaints are no more. It does lower payouts a bit, we're paying out 9 per week instead of 5-6, but at $2 for entry it's not like anyone is coming looking for the big money anyway.