• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cam Todd Pro Basket Prototype

This seems like a great practice basket to use in your backyard improve your game, but I'm not sure why we're trying to make a game which NONE of us has MASTERED that much more difficult.

There are already enough variables in the game: Wind, elevation, mood, last-night's half-rack....why would you want to make it harder?

I'm not trying to poo-poo innovation. It looks like a great tool for those who want to improve. Shoot, I NEED one for my backyard.....(my upshots and putting are atrocious.) But as far as the practical application of it on disc golf courses to be used in sanctioned events -- which seems to be the ultimate goal -- it's totally unnecessary.

DG is hard enough with the targets we have.

Pros are supposed to play better- that's why they are pros. We have all seen the crazy miss from inside the circle by Lizotte,Mcbeth, Wysocki, and the like- changing the target just seems odd. As someone else stated, the location of the hole in ball golf changes during pro tournaments- the size doesn't. Amateurs and pros practice on the same size holes. The equivalent would be making greens harder.

In what sport ever has the goal changed size? Does a basketball hoop get smaller? A baseball shrink? Bowling pins get farther apart? I can't think of one sport that adjusts something central to the game like that according to classification.

Increase the circle. 40-50 feet for jump putt range instead of 30+

Last edited:
You know what makes putts difficult in golf? Uneven Greens!! You always need to "read" a green before your putt. The cup is a little bigger than 2X ball width, but if it was a PERFECTLY FLAT GREEN then putts from pros would be boring!

What makes putts in disc golf difficult? UNEVEN GREENS! But we're dealing with flight, so put some TREES in the way! YES TREES IN THE CIRCLE. Want to see an awesome 25' putt? Give a pro a chance to read the green and make a bending putt! Bending putts in golf are awesome to watch -
"nice read!" Same here. Wanna make putts harder? Don't put the basket in the middle of a field.
^This

Got a great example at Joralemon, Hole #1
359'
No elevation.
Sounds boring.......... but a few trees about 150 out change it. Now you have to pick a lane. And..............

......... now when you pick the lane off the tee, you still have to worry about where you're going to land. Those mature pines are IN the circle.

Yes, the first thing in ball golf that is changed on Sundays is hole location. Just watch the Masters in a few weeks. You make the hole harder by making the putt itself harder. Disc golf doesn't give us that chance.

Making the basket smaller is that chance. You change the height on the last round and make it harder to nail that 35 ft putt for birdie. Just like changing the hole location on a Sunday in a ball golf major.

I totally agree we should have multiple pin locations and change those up as needed. Those are cheap to make and easy to change up between rounds. Round 2 could easily have a pro location for the basket, right behind a tree or boulder, etc, etc.

What happens when we change pin positions? How many courses even offer that ability that TRULY challenge a putt? Not just making the whole longer but challenges the thrower to make a "harder" putt.

McBeth put it perfectly, make the target smaller. It is the easiest and smoothest way to make the pros actually THROW closer on the upshot rather than layup 25-30 ft away and not worry about missing. Make them land within 15 ft to make the birdie.

The baskets were originally designed for regular catch frisbees, which are bigger in diameter. I can see adjusting the size of the baskets to account for the smaller putters we use today. I think spit outs would be reduced with a smaller chain setup because there is less room for the smaller diameter putters we use to go right through.

What happens when we change pin positions? How many courses even offer that ability that TRULY challenge a putt? Not just making the whole longer but challenges the thrower to make a "harder" putt.

McBeth put it perfectly, make the target smaller. It is the easiest and smoothest way to make the pros actually THROW closer on the upshot rather than layup 25-30 ft away and not worry about missing. Make them land within 15 ft to make the birdie.

^This...Smaller targets should definitely be tried out for Pros, esp on existing courses that are 'easy' for the pros. Putting is the hardest part of golf, let's extend that to Pro level disc golf as well. Lizotte wants smaller targets as well!

Not sure this is the winning target, but I would let the Pros decide that as well.

Increase the circle. 40-50 feet for jump putt range instead of 30+

Most the pros don't jump until 40-50 or so anyway (especially the good putters, who are you going to take at 10m uly or mcbeth?)

Anyone remember when golf messed with a different size for ams and pros?

or know about their efforts to save golf? They are talking about making the hole bigger so its more exciting...

My main concern is that they need to be the same for all competitive play. I agree, stage one is to try them at the top.

Anyone remember how thrilling the finish at the Memorial was? That is likely gone with a smaller basket. Koling would probably have to lay-up from 60 rather than risk a 20ft comeback and McBeth would be more likely to spit out the side. Both drop in for 3 and there goes the most exciting part of the game.

My main concern is that they need to be the same for all competitive play. I agree, stage one is to try them at the top.

Why do they need to be the same for all competitive play? If you are playing for $ and can be money on smaller targets (see what I did there?) then that makes your performance even more amazing. I see no reason Pros can't play small targets while Ams (maybe also Pro Women?) play regular baskets. I think separating what it means to be a Pro would be a good thing; at the very least it might make the obnoxious apes tone down the bravado on our local courses/friendly leagues. Wait. No. That's not going to change.

Anyone remember how thrilling the finish at the Memorial was? That is likely gone with a smaller basket. Koling would probably have to lay-up from 60 rather than risk a 20ft comeback and McBeth would be more likely to spit out the side. Both drop in for 3 and there goes the most exciting part of the game.

What If...Koling skips in an approach to a smaller target and wins that way? Or not all tournaments use smaller targets? Or not every hole even? Is mixing in small targets on easy/open holes any different than having the artificially elevated target at the Memorial? Hmmm.

Cam Todd has a prototype of his CTPro Basket and is seeking help funding the first full set(s) of baskets.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE : http://www.gofundme.com/CTProDiscGolf

$12,800 goal??? For a set or set(s). Pretty vague info and no particular plan noted.

From Cam Todd : "This basket is a concept I have been developing for 10 plus years.

This is not attractive. A decade of putzing is a strength ? (seriously, that needs dropped from the sales pitch)

I am the target audience and I am turned off by the script presented. I left with crabby aging guy thought of "Go get a part-time job / gig and raise your own cash. If it really meant something you would have made it happen sometime in the last decade." Need a better plea to get my cash.

Basket itself... interesting target.

not a fan honestly, if you're going to make the target smaller on the vertical axis the basket should come up so you're focusing on the sweet spot of the normal baskets. dropping the top down like that just looks stupid.

i'm also against this movement all together because it's going to heavily decrease the amount of long putts, long throw ins and aces. those are my favorite things to watch pros do.

to me if you do anything you bring the chains in tighter a bit, not as tight as a bullseye but tighter.

I applaud the effort to make putting more difficult, and therefore more interesting to watch. I don't like the hexagonal band, but I do like the idea of an adjustable target height. I don't know if this prototype is the answer, but it's definitely an effort in the right direction.

I applaud the effort to make putting more difficult, and therefore more interesting to watch.

How does a more difficult target make putting more interesting to watch? Real world result is likely to simply be more lay-ups and tap ins.

$12,800 goal??? For a set or set(s). Pretty vague info and no particular plan noted.

From Cam Todd : "This basket is a concept I have been developing for 10 plus years.

This is not attractive. A decade of putzing is a strength ? (seriously, that needs dropped from the sales pitch)

I am the target audience and I am turned off by the script presented. I left with crabby aging guy thought of "Go get a part-time job / gig and raise your own cash. If it really meant something you would have made it happen sometime in the last decade." Need a better plea to get my cash.

Basket itself... interesting target.

I agree.. It took 10 years to come up with a smaller target that has an adjustable height? Are you serious??? I know Paul McBeth had said something about smaller baskets/targets, but I'm not sure this is it.

First we will shrink the baskets and then they will continue to up par so easy holes are par 4s and 5s. If they would just stop making every other hole a par 4 or 5 we wouldn't see such low low scores. I watch a lot of tournaments on YouTube and hate seeing 3 bad shots still card a birdie. It seems like every course they play has those holes.

First we will shrink the baskets and then they will continue to up par so easy holes are par 4s and 5s. If they would just stop making every other hole a par 4 or 5 we wouldn't see such low low scores. I watch a lot of tournaments on YouTube and hate seeing 3 bad shots still card a birdie. It seems like every course they play has those holes.

They need NTs at courses like Idlewild and Coyote Trace :hfive:

Latest posts