• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Can leaving discs in your car in freezing weather effect them long term?

rgt286

Par Member
So fairly new disc golfer here. If I leave my discs in my car overnight while the temp is under 32 degrees, might that effect the overall flight path or durability of them longterm? I know colder temps make discs harder and more overstable while they are cold, but I'm asking about the longterm effects of freezing temps on them. Does it break down the the plastic or make them weaker in any way? Any input appreciated!!

After a few months of leaving my discs in the cold they all turn to gold. Then they just become wall hangers...

I don't think the cold is too hard on them. Heat cycles and UV rays from the sun are a different story.

If you are a fairly new disc golfer, you likely have fairly new discs so no real worries.

Some use more flexible plastics like ESP or GStar (or rubber like Vibrams) for grip and to minimize tree bounces. Naked trees in the cold means harder impacts and rebounds. Same with the ground.

Cold bag starting a round is good. Cold discs stay drier. A bag of discs can retain a surprising amount of heat.

no i do it. especially cuz then they dont collect ice on them when you use them.

if you do keep them inside before you throw, i suggest set them out in the cold about 30 min before you leave to go out to prevent the ice forming while your playing.

When I worked for a summer at a polymer R&D center I was shown a special freezer they used to keep products from aging (and suffering from deteriorating physical properties) while they waited for other tests to clear the lab. So, while getting the discs cold will make them more brittle and increase the possibility of them breaking upon tree hits, it also should slow the degradation process of the polymer. As someone else said, high heats promote the degradation of polymers.

So the Dynamic Discs cooler bag is for discs not beer?

Guess I need a fridge to keep my discs fresh

Yeah, most of my discs have been bought brand new in the last four months or so. Mostly in champion/z/quantum type plastics. Interesting about ice forming on the discs if they are still warm, I would have never considered that (I live in Texas) but it makes perfect sense. Okay, thanks for the info guys!!

Yeah, most of my discs have been bought brand new in the last four months or so. Mostly in champion/z/quantum type plastics. Interesting about ice forming on the discs if they are still warm, I would have never considered that (I live in Texas) but it makes perfect sense. Okay, thanks for the info guys!!

yeah i had to learn quick here in mn

when someone posted it online it made so much sense i was like :doh:

Just don't leave your discs in your car over the summer. Like others have said heat will degrade them faster and could warp the plastic.

I usually always keep my bag inside at night during the winter. It was just one of those pieces of disc golf advice that I was given by some local pros when I started playing. I often leave my bag in the car during the summer months and have never had an issue. Believe me it gets hot and humid here in NC during the summer.

I'm concerned about my winter performance. I don't plan on stopping though. I played in the snow the other day and it was terrible. I have turned my bag into an all Gstar/ Vibram bag, save a few Lucid midrange's.

I know these discs hold up/perform better in the cold, but is it that big of a difference? I have seen the pics of harder disc exploded from hitting a tree in the cold, and I definetely don't want that.

When I was throwing in the snow I noticed A) my grip was a lot weaker, felt like discs were ripping out of my hand to early, and B) Discs were not flying how they normally do, shorter and more dramatic, so an OS seemed even more OS, and an US seemed even more US.

I guess to some up my question: will the all GSTAR winter setup benefit me more in the freezing cold (well below 32) than say my normal mix of champion and star type plastics?

many plastics will explode in winter.

grip will be weaker in winter. disc fly more OS in winter. and distance is diminished significantly

gstar might offer some more grip. flight changed a bit (more os in winter) like every other variety of plastic so thats no different.

its all on feel. youll have to experiment

many plastics will explode in winter.

grip will be weaker in winter. disc fly more OS in winter. and distance is diminished significantly

gstar might offer some more grip. flight changed a bit (more os in winter) like every other variety of plastic so thats no different.

its all on feel. youll have to experiment

Cool thank you. I'm going to be trying out my all grippy bag in a few hours, we'll see if it's an improvement. Hopefully it warms up a little 19* right now.

I have a bag that's been in my work truck for years now. (These are discs that I really don't care about.)
Other than temporary warping from stuff resting on the bag, I notice nothing that would keep me from throwing them. Also I keep a DX Aero in every vehicle I own with no problems noticed.

I left my discs in my car all winter for multiple winters in Chicago, not one bit of noticeable change in any discs from that.

Latest posts