• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc Golfers Corner or from Canada eh

Friends got back form a BC trip. Talked a lot about some courses "hidden" around Maple Bay area? Trying to recall all the course names they mentioned. Apparently some tight courses that have a lot of fun with elevation around there.

Hey! That was at my place! Only got a few holes in with your pals but they seemed to have fun! I offered to take them on to the secret course but timing didn't work out.

The offer is open to any of you out there as long as you swear to keep it off of UDisc!

Hey! That was at my place! Only got a few holes in with your pals but they seemed to have fun! I offered to take them on to the secret course but timing didn't work out.

The offer is open to any of you out there as long as you swear to keep it off of UDisc!

Small world haha. Yeah they mentioned you came by looking for a disc form the night before or some such? I recall descriptions like a Jurassic Park disc golf course. Next time I'm with them will have to ask to see some photos. I'm sure they have a couple. Not sure when I'll have the chance to get out there, but I'll keep it in mind if I do!

Most of my discs are from either AR or DR, while my initial batch of discs came from Don's Hobby in town, with some great later additions. Still have all my original discs save a Gateway Scout. Lost it during field work. Put it over a fence and I'm 90+% sure some dude drove off with it, as my disc landed near a car that took off a minute later. Was initially relieved I didn't hit the car.

Tesla's are weird ducks, it's all about the dome, board flat is beefy. Whether proton, fission or neutron board flat fades hardest. Plasma's are crazy nuts stable. I've got at least a half dozen, but yeah I concur neutron is the mildest generally.

Is that the tournament in Millet? Wait that was Melville haha AB flashback. I helped fundraise for that, note to others haha a sandwich mini is not as cheap to ship as a disc, lay em flat. How I took a bath financially. Think it was $10 instead of four stamps...

Good to know. I've got a couple PDGA Member stamp 153g Neutron Teslas, but last week I threw a friend's lighter Fission and it was beef. I was more than a little surprised, as she throws them really well and I didn't expect them to be that stable.

Yeah, Melville and Yorkton. Melville's a nice (although shorter) track that just got baskets to replace the tonals. Had never played there previously, and there's camping on-site. Good fun. Some serious regional Sask rivalry reared it's head at the party/putting contest to win a Traveller basket. 'Rumour' has it that DGS pulled ~$900 in fees (pay-to-putt) as all the regions piled on to beat the other regions.

Good to know. I've got a couple PDGA Member stamp 153g Neutron Teslas, but last week I threw a friend's lighter Fission and it was beef. I was more than a little surprised, as she throws them really well and I didn't expect them to be that stable.

Yeah, Melville and Yorkton. Melville's a nice (although shorter) track that just got baskets to replace the tonals. Had never played there previously, and there's camping on-site. Good fun. Some serious regional Sask rivalry reared it's head at the party/putting contest to win a Traveller basket. 'Rumour' has it that DGS pulled ~$900 in fees (pay-to-putt) as all the regions piled on to beat the other regions.

Nice!!!!!!! That's good to know, I always wanted to go on Discgolf tour. Again. Haha. I like the sounds of shorter. :)

I think I picked up a Tesla metal sparkle proton pfn 168?ish from that fundraiser. Board flat, I knew what I was in for but it's alright, still glides 40' further than the plasma 155!! Neutron 153 sounds sexy, I was real happy with my 157ish SE neutrons.

Hey how's it going out there? Anyone play the big tournament at Raptor's Knoll? I hear good stuff about that one, I'd have to take a big bag with some max DD's for that sucker and hope I can remember how to throw em!

What was that the provincial's? I see Chris Hartmann was playing elsewhere today, thumping the circuit for Innova. He's done good stuff with them! Total respect! Even if it's not my brand ;) but MVP still hasn't sponsored me to play in my yard haha.

picture.php

So the Triple Crown was here a few weeks back, three courses, one day. Heritage style, doubles then solo for 9. Had some good luck, good partners.... Good results. I was unstoppable but humble haha, just played cool etc. Anyhow got this thing in my house 3 times.. Three times a triple Crown!

Playing has been a bit eratic lately. September is generally a bit of a nightmare workwise with weekend spillage.

Otherwise, things have been getting a bit better disc golf wise. Haven't been diligent with the field work, so basically giving up the golf aspect when I play. Took some time, but one bad habit is nearly out the door with my off-arm so that's nice to see. The shortening days are a bit frustrating as the times I prefered to hit the park for practice are now too dark.

Thanksgiving weekend, played a Sunday round. Was on the cooler end for shorts, but I wore them regardless. Was windy, and by the back 9 we started to get rain. Then for the final 4 holes we got snow... Yay Calgary. The worst part was I didn't have sufficient towels nor my friction gloves. Wet hands are one things, but wet and cold hands are an absolute disaster. I guess I got my first snow round of the year in ha!

Got myself a few glow discs so hoping to hit that up soon. Will be a first for me. The glow night at Baker Park, where they also light up the baskets, unfortunately falls on a night I have prior commitments. Will have to make do.

As an addendum, it's also my favorite part of the year in that my favorite colour is green, so now all my green discs are beacons against the dead browns everywhere. Green drivers back into the bag until Spring!

As an addendum, it's also my favorite part of the year in that my favorite colour is green, so now all my green discs are beacons against the dead browns everywhere. Green drivers back into the bag until Spring!

Haha Calgary snow.. Don't miss that, I do love "green" season. Though usually I mean the spring for 2 weeks. I got a dayglo green volt and I love it at dusk with a neon yellow comet. Almost as good as glow!

After playing the classic on the test layout earlier this year, the Currie Reservoir Course will be open in Calgary in a few days. Note the Canadian flavour added into its design (also note that if it plays like the classic, then being off the fairway, that is light green, is also a hazard). Very excited, as it's only 5km from my place.

Attachments

• tdp3oivjfiv71.jpg
    tdp3oivjfiv71.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 34
After playing the classic on the test layout earlier this year, the Currie Reservoir Course will be open in Calgary in a few days. Note the Canadian flavour added into its design (also note that if it plays like the classic, then being off the fairway, that is light green, is also a hazard). Very excited, as it's only 5km from my place.

Nice to see this map! I was fortunate to get a tour of this new course earlier this summer while visiting and it looks like a lot of fun. A lot of work going into this, and I hope it works out as something permanent for the city of Calgary so I can play it next time :))

Hey that's a good idea with the OB, I know that's a bit of a tight property haha I wonder if most players will respect that. Looks like it's a little repetitive but a map never does anything justice. Not trying to poo poo it, any course is good and if I'm thinking of the right part of Currie Barracks it's somewhat hilly. Elevation changes really add to a tight course, wind will be a factor too.

Hey that's a good idea with the OB, I know that's a bit of a tight property haha I wonder if most players will respect that. Looks like it's a little repetitive but a map never does anything justice. Not trying to poo poo it, any course is good and if I'm thinking of the right part of Currie Barracks it's somewhat hilly. Elevation changes really add to a tight course, wind will be a factor too.

Much of the area is hilly as you say, but unfortunately not too much elevation to play around with on that plot of land. Although it does come into play on a handful of holes.

The tee signs are cropping up on Facebook for the Calgary Disc Golf Club if you want a gander. I don't have an account, but am still able to view them on the public page. It's a bit more complicated than what the whole map shows. I think they had something like 10 of the 21 signs posted there, and pretty high quality signs, with different icons for different types of trees even. They're very detailed.

Not publicly available is an overhead look on the Maple Leaf hole. Apparently the whole island is red wood chips/mulch or the like with wooden barriers along the edge to contain it. So it looks like a giant ass leaf from up high.

Anyway, will make my way out this weekend. Maybe if I get a number of photos I'll do up my first review for this site to help add something.

Played the new course a few times now. And have to say I'm pretty impressed with how they managed to use the space. The course map and even the detailed tee signs don't fully capture the obstacles. A number of trees provide low clearance, and even taller bigger trees have far reaching branches that can catch cheeky discs. They even added som artificial obstacles which don't look too out of place (wooden "scaffolding" not sure exactly what to call it). There are some older artificial objects, like a lightning shelter, which are close to the tee which limit your drive options and will happily eat an early/late release depending.

The one big problem being discussed among locals is the western/soutwestern portion of the course. There are a number of holes that stretch east/west, so errant throws end up in ohter fairways frequently. I had one early release on 8 that went across the southern edge of 7 at a head hunting height. Screamed four as there was one guy in the vicinity of the trajectory, passed 10-15 or so to his left. But the crazy part is it's late afternoon and since he's facing west with hole direction, sun was directly in his eyes. Rather than duck had the hand up like a visor looking in our direction. That disc could've caught him full on in the face...

The course is quite popular so this emphasizes the issues, but maybe 18 holes would've been safer than 21. I do appreciate how they were able to maximize the space and find the holes they did.

Not sure if it's because I played it a number of times in a row over a short period, but there is a certain type of stress in dealing with the large amount of hazard. Need a bit of a break from it and get back to the more wooded options, even though they're a bit more of a drive away.

With the new course met some new folks which is cool. Got some numbers and golfing buddies in the neighbourhood.

We're in that transition period to Winter right now so certain discs have to get left in the box either due to colour or plastic type. Either too slippery or will get mangled by any solid tree hit. I had a Daredevil Caribou of all discs get warped after catching a tree. Was only around 0 degrees too, so not that cold. Grip plastic which feels flexible, but responded much like a DX plastic. Not sure if the different coloured plastics behave differently but this was my bright orange one, whereas my burnt yellow one got through last winter just fine.

Anyway those are my ramblings for now.

Feeling the fingers of winter closing in around here too, finally getting night time drops into the minus's and the occasional snowfall"warning". Haven't seen any snow yet but it's mighty close. I kinda feel like we're a month ahead of schedule. Time to put away the X comets, I probably won't get a chance to throw the scorpion I recently acquired for the next 3-4 months haha.

Played another hidden super short course here on Saturday.. Lots of fun.. Heavily wooded and short. Nice to try something new. Going to have to clean up the yard and prepare for the white fun! :(

Nothing else to report

Latest posts