• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catch Net for Practicing Drives

MoonT4

Birdie Member
Is there any plans or schematics available to build a catch net to practice drives?

I was thinking of making something sorta like in the old days when playing baseball I had a pitch back. Using some PVC and finding a net to put in it, or maybe an old fitted sheet with the center cut out and a king size pillow case sewed into it.

I am thinking, in the beginning I could stand close to get my snap and twist down, then gradually work my way backwards to work on accuracy in aiming.

Does anyone know if something of this nature already exists?

Would this be beneficial or do you think this is overkill, and that I would be better off just going out into an open field? I am thinking that on late afternoons when there isn't enough time to go to the park, and since I don't have an extremely large yard, that I could do this in a minimal amount of space.

I use a golfing net. Pic is around here somewhere.

EDIT: Here it is

p1764105dt.jpg

Golf net actually works? There is a $20 one at Wal Mart I was attempted to get just for this purpose but I didn't want the shame of buying a ball golf product. I wonder if Wal Mart will brown bag it for me.

Golf net actually works? There is a $20 one at Wal Mart I was attempted to get just for this purpose but I didn't want the shame of buying a ball golf product. I wonder if Wal Mart will brown bag it for me.

I've pnly got to use it a few times but it seems to be working fine. I dont know if I would pull it as tight as they show in that pic though.

It may just be me but I can't see throwing a disc into a net (...well a distance driver that is) because it removes you ability to see how your shot would have carried out.
Sure you can smash a circle on a net at 50 yards fullspeed, but what good does that do if you're throwing them off axis or doing something goofy like that? You wouldn't even be able to tell at that distance...
If I were you I'd just buy a practice basket or something and take it to a field and chuck at it... It'd be much better for you're game I'd think, but that's just my two-cents...

It may just be me but I can't see throwing a disc into a net (...well a distance driver that is) because it removes you ability to see how your shot would have carried out.
Sure you can smash a circle on a net at 50 yards fullspeed, but what good does that do if you're throwing them off axis or doing something goofy like that? You wouldn't even be able to tell at that distance...
If I were you I'd just buy a practice basket or something and take it to a field and chuck at it... It'd be much better for you're game I'd think, but that's just my two-cents...

I do have a basket, but I was thinking that on days that I get in later from work, and don't really have much time to go up to the park, I could set this up in the yard and just throw into it, to work on my form and accuracy in my release, which I might add is hit or miss still. But when time allows, I will go to the park and throw on the soccer fields, or the course.

Thanks for the opinion.

I got my net online, just did a search and think it was golf outlets or something like that, but I hear you can get them at Wal~Mart.

You cant see the flight real well, but it is a good way to get some reps in without chasing the disc down. I recommend not adjusting your form much while using it but just throw and take it for what it is.

I got a 8X8 Blue tarp from Army Navy Store for 10 bucks. It has brass grommets every foot around all the sides. I just bungie it between the trees and voila !!! I leave the bottom loose so it has some give.
Works great...

I got my net online, just did a search and think it was golf outlets or something like that, but I hear you can get them at Wal~Mart.

You cant see the flight real well, but it is a good way to get some reps in without chasing the disc down. I recommend not adjusting your form much while using it but just throw and take it for what it is.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Maybe run to Wally World later this evening.

Oh the SHAME!
:D

A net might be good to use if you just want to work on your mechanics and your snap. You can just concentrate on your form and not worry about where the disc is gonna go.

A net might be good to use if you just want to work on your mechanics and your snap. You can just concentrate on your form and not worry about where the disc is gonna go.

This is exactly what I am wanting, as sometimes, my release is just way off, and sometimes it feels spot on. I know how to throw, but consistent throws are not there yet.

I could see it being useful in a backyard but nothing beats a practice field. I wonder how well that ball golf net would hold up to discs?