• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chainstar Lite — releasing late 2017

:thmbup:
From reviewer...

Some reviewers commented about the galvanizing. This basket is "electro-galvanized" as opposed to "hot dip galvanizing" as found on the heavy duty course baskets. It will not be as rust resistant, but aren't most of us going to store it anyway?

My bad. Thought it was hot-dipped galvanized, which would not be sold for $60.

Some folks are lucky and they don't rust.

I went outside to give it a good look, and also took a magnet with me.
Still, no rust except on the push button connectors.
The chains are magnetic, which means that if they did in fact use stainless, it's a 400 grade stainless, not 300, and so is more likely to rust than if the chains were 304 or 316. Mine aren't rusting, and look to be the same material as the basket, pole, and support base.
That said, I actually have the 12 chain, not the 14 chain variant (I don't think the 14 was an option in 2017). I don't doubt that the thing was zinc plated via "electrogalvanising" as opposed to HDG. It's quarter inch steel rods, and if I remember correctly, the stuff was shiny (like zinc plated fasteners you can buy at the hardware store) and kind of looked like a cookie cooling rack.
The zinc plating will hold up to a decent degree (though its 1/10 to 1/5 as thick as an HDG layer). I would imagine the more times you disassemble it and reassemble it, the more you run the risk of scratching through the zinc layer, but mine has just sat in the yard.

Neat info...Pink shade?

The chains are magnetic, which means that if they did in fact use stainless, it's a 400 grade stainless, not 300, and so is more likely to rust than if the chains were 304 or 316. Mine aren't rusting, and look to be the same material as the basket, pole, and support base.
That said, I actually have the 12 chain, not the 14 chain variant (I don't think the 14 was an option in 2017). I don't doubt that the thing was zinc plated via "electrogalvanising" as opposed to HDG. It's quarter inch steel rods, and if I remember correctly, the stuff was shiny (like zinc plated fasteners you can buy at the hardware store) and kind of looked like a cookie cooling rack.
The zinc plating will hold up to a decent degree (though its 1/10 to 1/5 as thick as an HDG layer). I would imagine the more times you disassemble it and reassemble it, the more you run the risk of scratching through the zinc layer, but mine has just sat in the yard.

Thanks for in-depth info. Pretty cool. What shade of Pink is your Chainstar lite? I've never

seen one in person. My "red" Chainstar lite basket is actually more orangish than red.

It is the color of the pink that surrounds the word "ORIGINAL":
PeptoBismol_ORIGINAL_module.png

How do you know all this info on metal?

How do you know all this info on metal?

Mostly just comes with some experience; zinc plated stuff is typically shiny... it could have been chrome, but that's more expensive and this was an inexpensive basket. Besides, if they called it "galvanized" then it would have been zinc by definition.
That said, HDG usually leaves a dull luster… if you've ever seen galvanized pipes or larger pieces of metal, you would recognize the grains:
galvanized-steel-spangle.jpg

The basket was polished, and so my guess is like InDaWoodsDiscN419's guess that it was zinc plated, not Hot Dipped Galvanized.
Also, I'm a former chemical engineer, so the different stainless steel types was just something I learned along the way.

Mostly just comes with some experience; zinc plated stuff is typically shiny... it could have been chrome, but that's more expensive and this was an inexpensive basket. Besides, if they called it "galvanized" then it would have been zinc by definition.
That said, HDG usually leaves a dull luster… if you've ever seen galvanized pipes or larger pieces of metal, you would recognize the grains:
galvanized-steel-spangle.jpg

The basket was polished, and so my guess is like InDaWoodsDiscN419's guess that it was zinc plated, not Hot Dipped Galvanized.
Also, I'm a former chemical engineer, so the different stainless steel types was just something I learned along the way.

Most baskets in this category are Zinc with the chains though some I have seen are done with a Galvanized coating like some spray paint/spray o, non hot dipped.

Dose this compare well still the 24 chain Chainstar lite to the MVP 24 Pro HD? if it is true the basket is using the more durable wire bar then the MVP HD Pro, I am interested in this via the price for one for my parents using the Standard top of the lite 24 chain as main set and MVP HD as backup set of chains, my brother wants a MVP precision for the house basket and I agree as we also have a lightwight this type of tradmark Innovations basket we need to set up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4LTL1...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the build quality of the real MVP. The faux Black Hole from Yaheetech is as they advertise, but I would not leave it outdoors.
The chain links are narrow gauge and cheap. The powder coating scratches easier than I had hoped (but I keep it indoors in a classroom, so no worries on rust)
There is a world of difference between either this basket and my chainstar lite.
The shipping weight on the faux Black Hole is 30.9 pounds while it is 41.7 pounds for the chainstar lite. Both came in a similar box so the weight difference is in the steel involved.

Again, I would not leave my chainstar lite out in the elements. It has a nice powder coating, but it is only on the exterior of the support pole, meaning it could rust from within. This goes for all of the non-galvanized baskets. At the $119 price tag currently on Amazon, I think the chainstar lite is a huge winner.

Finally decided to take my game a little more serious. Hopefully some backyard putting practice will cut two to four strokes a round off my game.

Anyhow, I was originally going to get one of the Axiom baskets but couldn't find them in stock or the few places that had them weren't open for business or shipping right now.

Picked up the Chainstar Lite instead since it is pretty much the same design as far as assembly and disassembly. Only the pink in stock so that's what I ended up with. I noticed in several of Paul McBeth's videos he was using the Chainstar Lite and I figured if it was good enough for his putts it was probably good enough for mine.

Might do a review on YouTube since there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there on these baskets.

So far it seems to catch as well as most of the course baskets I typically play on.

275d3f852511f2c6b0516364f8a42915.jpg

Finally decided to take my game a little more serious. Hopefully some backyard putting practice will cut two to four strokes a round off my game.

Anyhow, I was originally going to get one of the Axiom baskets but couldn't find them in stock or the few places that had them weren't open for business or shipping right now.

Picked up the Chainstar Lite instead since it is pretty much the same design as far as assembly and disassembly. Only the pink in stock so that's what I ended up with. I noticed in several of Paul McBeth's videos he was using the Chainstar Lite and I figured if it was good enough for his putts it was probably good enough for mine.

Might do a review on YouTube since there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there on these baskets.

So far it seems to catch as well as most of the course baskets I typically play on.

275d3f852511f2c6b0516364f8a42915.jpg

I got for my brothers b-day in early march the MVP Pro HD, the equivalent type of basket to the Discraft Chainstar Lite for more serious use. I will be getting for my Parents at New place an Axiom Pro HD Royal blue and those have lesser paint to them but I am prepared to Spray paint and clear coat if needed as well as 2 used from Gotta Go Gotta Throw Lighting DB-5 for the 2 permanent spots outside for a mini course on the land they have. The Axiom model are is the same basket as MPV with just the Axiom having cheaper paint job to save cost, MVP Pro HD was OOP due to state law of Michigan with Corona Virus.

So yeah I would not be surprised that the Discraft Chainstar Lite catches well, they are like an MVP Pro/HD type basket.

Last edited:
So, in the house this thing is so noisy you almost need earplugs.

I was going to put some foam pipe insulation on the center pole but I saw somewhere on here where somebody used paint rollers. Happened to have a few of those and three of them fit perfectly. They also happened to be a decent color match.

Way quieter for indoor use now.

f23b352b1dc9d11a24b94dbcd62f04a6.jpg

Ground mounted a chainstar lite using a 1-5/8" x 6' chain-link fence line post (17-gauge).
The factory chainstar lite support pole is a perfect fit inside of this type of fence post pipe.

If interested:
-assemble the chainstar lite as normal, but don't screw the stand on
-cut 72" fence post down to 46" then duct tape one end of fence post
-mix up one 60 pound bag of quikcrete in a 5 gallon pail
-put taped end of 46" fence post all the way into concrete bucket
-let the concrete cure for 1-3 days
-excavate a hole 18" deep (large enough diameter for 5 gallon pail)
*be mindful of buried utility lines!*
-set concrete-filled bucket in hole, then backfill excavated material
-level pole, then stomp or tamp soil around bucket
-slide chainstar lite support pole into fence post

Material Costs
-fence post $10 to $15 USD
-5 gallon pail $3 to $5
-60 pound bag of concrete $3 to $5

Attachments

• ED11BE60-3637-4B29-9EE1-624249F958A7.jpg
    ED11BE60-3637-4B29-9EE1-624249F958A7.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 29
Ground mounted a chainstar lite using a 1-5/8" x 6' chain-link fence line post (17-gauge).
The factory chainstar lite support pole is a perfect fit inside of this type of fence post pipe.

If interested:

Material Costs
-5 gallon pail $3 to $5

If you know somebody who has cats if you do not, ask them to save a large 40 pound size cat litter bucket for the 5 gallon pail part to save $3-$5.

How many holes now?

If interested:

Material Costs
-5 gallon pail $3 to $5

Great mod. looks sweet! Nice land, you have a bunch of acres to work on?

I got my brother and his wife addicted to Disc in Feb. They bought an Innova traveler basket,

and I gave him my chainstar lite, they were stoked! 9 hole course was installed 5 minutes

from their house! Happy for them. Wish I had a course so close! :D