• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion Banshee - Craptastic? Or Needs More Beat-in?

Oregon Southpaw

Bogey Member
Hey Guys!

Just taking the discs out for a good cleaning before I get them dirty as heck tomorrow playing all day at Willamette here in Oregon.

Something dawned on me - the DX Banshee is one of my favorite discs of all time. I got a skip ace with the one I'm currently carrying, and the one I had before gave me two eagles and ace-ran so many holes I stopped counting.

When my most recent DX Banshee got to a certain level of break-in I decided to upgrade and get myself the same disc, same weight, in Champion.

I have played with thing for a full season now, and it is just not the same disc. Is this a case of
A) DX break in goes much quicker
B) Innova molds are just not that reliable
or C) I just need to beat the crap out of this Champ banshee

I guess when you've got your bag fine-tuned, you forget about the break-in until you're forced to replace a disc. I REALLY dislike the amount of throws it takes to get a disc to where you want it.:doh:

I've never heard of DX being more overstable but I have heard of DX having more glide to them than Star and Champion which are normally more stable than Pro and DX.

Appreciation for a DX Banshee prompted me to do the same thing and upgrade to Champ plastic.

However, I was looking for the added stability because I wanted a Banshee that flew like my DX when it was new. It only took me about 2 weeks to get to that point and I think that was mainly getting the flashing to wear off. It's remained at that stability for a long time now and is one of my favorite overstable fairway drivers.

Oh yeah, I also used the Banshee for overhand shots, so that might have sped up the break-in process.

Oh yeah, I also used the Banshee for overhand shots, so that might have sped up the break-in process.

OH will indeed help break it in. When I first got my FLX Drone I used it for giant hyzer bombs so it would come down right on it's side/outer lip with a lot of force, it got broke in pretty quick. This is a similar thing to do as an OH.

Appreciation for a DX Banshee prompted me to do the same thing and upgrade to Champ plastic.

However, I was looking for the added stability because I wanted a Banshee that flew like my DX when it was new. It only took me about 2 weeks to get to that point and I think that was mainly getting the flashing to wear off. It's remained at that stability for a long time now and is one of my favorite overstable fairway drivers.

The more I think about it the more I realize I like DX Banshees when they've been beat just the tiniest bit.

Shouldn't be too much longer now on the champion. I'll report back after a full day tomorrow.

I threw tomahawks with my champ banshee for several games and now it flies dead-nuts straight. Got my last ace with it on an anhyzer. So I would suggest throwing overhand whenever you can. All the shock gets it broken in nice and quick.

While we're on the subject...

Banshees are GREAT overhand discs. Very predictable and they can go farther than you'd expect.

I really like my Champ Banshee and really have not found anything comparable to it. I have had mine for a little less than a year but never had any sorts of problems with it right out of the box. It does do a great job for shorter over head shots though I will reach for my Starfire or Flick for longer over head shots.

I am guessing that it is all a matter of personal preference and I sincerely hope that you find your Banshee just the way you want it for a long time. There is really nothing else out there quite like a Banshee.

Have any of you guys tried the Tracker? I have a 174g ESP Tracker on the way and from what I've gathered from a lot of sources it sounds like it is similar to a Banshee.

Have any of you guys tried the Tracker? I have a 174g ESP Tracker on the way and from what I've gathered from a lot of sources it sounds like it is similar to a Banshee.

High speed stable, slightly more overstable teebird imo. Hyzer it and it'll hyzer. Put some stank on it, it'll go straight.

Also if it's a new champ make sure you buff off the flashing, it'll make it more overstable.

Good to hear, I've been asking around and I need a fairway driver that's a little more stable. My BH seems to be coming along quite nicely (before winter I was FH dominant, now BH) and more stable/overstable discs are becoming almost ubiquitous in my bag.

Good to hear, I've been asking around and I need a fairway driver that's a little more stable. My BH seems to be coming along quite nicely (before winter I was FH dominant, now BH) and more stable/overstable discs are becoming almost ubiquitous in my bag.

Once they beat in you'll be able to flip them over, but brand new my domey esp one was pretty overstable for the HSS being -1

It seems like most fairway/fairway-ish drivers get pretty flippy eventually but I am looking forward to throwing it.

A champ banshee is a meathook when it is new.

After a lot of wear, it basically turns into a newish DX Teebird in premium plastic. They take a long time to do this though.

Here is the run on Innova plastic

DX: Most overstable out of the box but beats to the most flippy; second best glide.
Pro: Starts off a little less understable than the posted stats, beats to flippy; most glide.
Champion: Starts off overstable and beats to the posted stats; second fastest plastic too Pro.
Star: Starts off a hair overstable beats to a hair understable (relative to posted stats); is a blend of pro and champ plastic; slowets plastic of the four types offered which also means the least glide of the four.

hope that helps in your future selections; I prefer Pro for effortless distance but I also like DX and Champ, I am not sold on Star yet but some discs only come in that plastic unless you get a CFR

Latest posts