• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Champion School of Disc Golf

jsc430

Double Eagle Member
Championship School of Disc Golf

Dave Feldberg and Scott Zimmerman have paired up for a disc golf "boot camp". The first edition is in Austin, TX Oct 21-24th. They offer a one day beginner class for $95 or a three day intermediate/advanced class for $495.

Being the first class there is not a lot of info. But as someone who considered attending here are observations:

Obviously the $495 hits you right in the face. Seems steep. So what are you getting? (Int/Adv)
  • Two and half days of serious disc golf instruction, training, and practice including one-on-one personal coaching and slow-motion video analysis of your form.
  • Players Kit with bag and two custom-stamped WCSDG golf discs. (Optionally signed by some world champions!)
  • Optional lunches, Saturday and Sunday.
    An optional "video form check" by email within six months after the class so we can help you continue to improve your game.

One of the discs they are giving in a player pack is wide rim high speed driver. Its a new mold by infinite discs. Is that really the tool you think is best for training or are you just pushing sales for your sponsor??? (Zimmerman)

On top of all that, the course they selected already has a C-Tier scheduled for the Sat/Sun. That tourney has allegedly been on the books since January based on what I see on FB and DG Scene. When this was addressed with CSDG they reportedly said, "its not ideal but its is not a showstopper".

Do they really expect people to pay $495 to throw in a field? Again, this is their first one so I'm sure their will be some growing pains. But it just seems all thrown together at the last minute. Maybe they are banking people paying for the chance to meet dave feldberg? So far nine people have. That's what ~ $4500 in tuition fees?

Thoughts?

Nothing surprises me any more. Around here four people paid $100 each to throw a round with Korver before a clinic. I thought that was kind of crazy. Compared to that I'd say $495 for days of instruction from Feldberg seems better.

If I was so inclined I'd just pay a local pro less money for lessons more spread out.

But you have to pay to even attend and watch a DGPT event these days. You have to shell out $25 just to watch USDGC anytime soon.

I feel like disc golf used to be an "us" thing and now it's quickly becoming an "us and them" thing like every other sport.

We'll see if this movement sticks. Either way I'll still be out in the park chucking frisbees.

The amount of time is a little unclear, but if it's 4 hours Friday, and 10 hours over the weekend I'd probably do it, if I lived in the area. (Or I they make it up to the NW) $35/hr is pretty cheap for any type of professional training, people spend way more on instrument lessons for kids who stop playing after highschool band.

Dave is a good teacher. Would be interesting to see what Scott has to add. While he is the greatest Frisbee athlete of all time he hasn't played a lot of disc golf in quite a while.

With McBeth's deal with Discraft and the increase in players due to the pandemic, it was inevitable for pros to start charging more for clinics.

I think $495.00 for a 3 day seminar with Feldberg, is a fair price. IMO, most of the instruction would suit an open area where participants are coached, observed and critiqued as they work on their form.

Different goods and services are worth varying amounts to different people.

If I were under 25 years old and rated 990 I'd seriously consider forking over the $495.

Given that I'm neither, I won't.

Do they really expect people to pay $495 to throw in a field?

I might do such a thing, but tbh, I watched so many form videos online, I'd chip out a chunk of change for just a shorter 1-on-1 lesson by someone that does clinics professionally who can spot form problems. Doesn't need to be a champion, just someone that has experience teaching and can throw a disc better than me.

The amount of time is a little unclear, but if it's 4 hours Friday, and 10 hours over the weekend I'd probably do it, if I lived in the area. (Or I they make it up to the NW) $35/hr is pretty cheap for any type of professional training, people spend way more on instrument lessons for kids who stop playing after highschool band.

I agree with this....how many hours is it going to be? I am paying a local pro $50 an hour for lessons. I've had two so far. Admittedly, my lessons are one-on-one; while this 'class' seems to be for multiple students...but it does include one-on-one training, discs, and videos.

I don't see an issue with the training being in a field....that's how lessons work - they are working on improving your throwing ability. If they are working on strategy and scrambles...then course work is needed. But their lessons might be combining the two.

I don't think $495 is a bad price....but a lot depends on the number of hours you are getting. One hour of "class" a day...not worth it. Four hours a day....that's more worth it. But does sound like it might be a full 8 hour day since they are offering lunch.

It would be nice to see all the details....how much one-on-one do you get? How much is field work, how much is course work?

What are they teaching? The three day is for intermediate and advanced....those players already have skills. Is the teaching going to be how to throw basic shots? If so, there may not be much value in that. Going to teach overhand shots? Not much value for some players....like myself, my shoulder can't handle overhand throws. So, it would really help to know the "curriculum".

Feldberg has a masters degree in biomechanics. So he not only is a world champ with years of dg experience, his degree seperates him from the upper echelon of instructors, IMO.

Feldberg has a masters degree in biomechanics. So he not only is a world champ with years of dg experience, his degree seperates him from the upper echelon of instructors, IMO.

I am pretty sure his undergrad work was in Japanese and Business Management and his Graduate degree is in Sports Education.

I am pretty sure his undergrad work was in Japanese and Business Management and his Graduate degree is in Sports Education.

That's interesting, I didn't know about that. I thought in his video with Climo, he said he has a masters degree in biomechanics, although it's been awhile since I've watched it.

So far nine people have. That's what ~ $4500 in tuition fees?

Thoughts?

We have no idea if these first 9 are legit, they may have been offered spots at significantly reduced rates or even free. This is standard practice in the seminar business.

More power to them. These professional disc golf training schemes pop up every couple of years and none of them last a full year. If Feldy can make it work great. If not, oh well, nothing lost. I would bet against them but who knows.

On top of all that, the course they selected already has a C-Tier scheduled for the Sat/Sun. That tourney has allegedly been on the books since January based on what I see on FB and DG Scene. When this was addressed with CSDG they reportedly said, "its not ideal but its is not a showstopper".

The sign-up is on DiscGolfScene and there's a comment about the tournament....the response is that the Class/Tournament is at Roy G. So it won't be affected by the other tournament.

I'm guessing the option lunches and follow-up form review are an extra cost and that's why they are optional.

Still, looks like it would be worth it. Get field work and then the last day, a private tournament.

Latest posts