• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just for fun?

BillyP

Okay, I've tried a couple of ways to approach DG and want to know if others have gone through the same type of changes. At first, I played for fun. No clue about proper form. But I grew up in the 70's, so you know I played with a frisbee almost every day. Then covid hit and I watched a ton of youtube videos and got into form perfection and joined the DGA and entered in a tourney. It was cool. Lots of awesome micro brew folks. Had a blast. But now I'm back to just going out and playing again. Let my DGA membership expire, quit watching DGN, don't care at all about the tour, who's on the tour, if Paige is in the male division yet, nothing. Just pure fun. Not saying my approach is the way, just the path I took. Anybody else go through anything similar with their disc golf.

I don't play competitively anymore at all. My last tournament was in 2019. I still follow the tour closely, but I don't really have any drive to play in a competitive setting, except for the occasional (rare) casual league.

It doesn't matter how you enjoy the sport, as long as you're having fun.

I've gone through some peaks and valleys in my competitive side, entering a sparse amount of tournaments and also trying to play every event/league I can get to. General interest in the sport and playing/practice comes and goes based on how my rounds have played out. My interest in watching pro coverage is less than what its been in the past - I don't really want to spend hours streaming live when I can be playing throughout the weekend days. I still like analyzing performances and stats to see if anyone new has entered the top tiers of the open fields.

Some people choose to keep grinding and trying to shave strokes off their rounds and others just like getting to play new & more challenging courses or enter unique tournaments for the experience.

I think the routine of getting out to weekly league can be something to look forward to during the work week. Being involved in the local DG club/community efforts can give some of the volunteer experiences.

I like the "played in 70s... then covid hit" timeline. Hopefully you had some fun in between there somewhere. :D

I get more and less serious about it all the time, but for me its just about my own improvement. Sometimes I just go play, and some times I'm working on improving my forehand accuracy, or my distance, or my jump putts.

I've level hated every tournament Ive ever played. Washington TDs were run by some sketchy folks when I started playing and our tournaments were basically a grift. I almost quit DG after my first two. The guy who runs the SeaTac tournaments now is a great dude. Its a better scene for sure.

I did doubles for a while, but I can play 3 rounds in the time it takes and I already dont have as much time as I'd like to play.

Pace is definitely what keeps me from trying competition again. Its clearly a problem in general. Pros are playing in dramatically different conditions in the same round - like, in the dark for instance.

Just for fun? damn right

What else are we doing here? I think most of the folks on this board are old enough to know they'll never make a living off dg (if they aren't already).

Everyone has their own goals of what they want to get out of dg. Even if the only goal is to escape to the woods for an hour or two each week. For some, fun might necessitate competition or beating personal bests. Whatever as long as it's in good fun.

competition is fun, but the pace kills me. guess I'm too ADHD to do it much anymore....
Yes!!! That's what got me. Last night after work I went and played 18 in under an hour. The tourney took 8 hours. And I didn't even win swag in the raffle.

I like the "played in 70s... then covid hit" timeline. Hopefully you had some fun in between there somewhere. :D

I get more and less serious about it all the time, but for me its just about my own improvement. Sometimes I just go play, and some times I'm working on improving my forehand accuracy, or my distance, or my jump putts.

I've level hated every tournament Ive ever played. Washington TDs were run by some sketchy folks when I started playing and our tournaments were basically a grift. I almost quit DG after my first two. The guy who runs the SeaTac tournaments now is a great dude. Its a better scene for sure.

I did doubles for a while, but I can play 3 rounds in the time it takes and I already dont have as much time as I'd like to play.

Pace is definitely what keeps me from trying competition again. Its clearly a problem in general. Pros are playing in dramatically different conditions in the same round - like, in the dark for instance.
Yeah, I caught that too! LOL. Grunge helped pass the time!

I just want to be 851 rated at some point 🤪

That seems about as likely as qualifying for PBA membership (200+ bowling average) before I turn 50 and have to be in PBA50...not looking good 🙃

Latest posts