• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing Up My Bag For Winter

bradharris

Team Borderland
Silver level trusted reviewer
Experience: A little over a decade. Probably half of that casually
Throwing style: RHBH & RHFH pretty evenly mixed. Very little RHOH
Distances* (Avg/Max):
  • Putters: (200'/250')
  • Mids: (275/300)
  • Drivers: (350/400)

*This is summer distance, I expect these numbers to be smaller in the winter.

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps: I have a nagging knee injury that sometimes gives me trouble on forehand throws. Also a nagging shoulder soreness that takes away any thoughts of throwing hard overhand.
Other Sports: Softball, Basketball, Running

Specific areas of desired feedback: This year is my first real forray into winter play. I've played in a couple ice bowls in the past, but usually just put the discs away for a few months in the winter. I'm also making some significant changes from what I'm used to throwing in the summer, so I want to make sure I have everything covered.

Goals: Keep my game sharp throughout the winter months. Obviously I won't play as often as I do during the summer, but I am going to try to avoid letting the rust build up too much. I'll be playing at least once a month for New England's Team Challenge, but hopefully will mix in some practice rounds between matches as well.

Other thoughts:

• I expect to lose or break more discs in the winter due to snow and cold. So I'm trying to stick to only discs that I can easily replace.
  • I'm also trying to feature softer, more grippy discs. When the temperature drops, I know I'm going to have more difficulty getting a comfortable grip.
  • I'm trying to account for the expected loss of power and greater use of standstill in cold and slippery conditions.

Putters:

• Soft Challengers - Putting
  • Zero Hard/Med Pure - Dead straight approaches, turning drives. For now I'm using the ZH because the ZM is black. Once we get some snow cover, I'll probably switch.
  • Opto Pure - Primary driving putter
  • Soft Harp - Hyzer approach

I typically putt with TM2 Pures in the summer, but prefer the feel of the Challengers when it's cold and wet. I also had to drop the Cryztal Flx Zone as that's very hard to replace. The Harp isn't the same, but should fill in okay.

Mids:

• X Comet - Finesse shots
  • Z Comet - Super straight
  • TP Warship - Distance
  • VIP Warship - Primary mid
  • Z Wasp - Hyzer finish
  • Flx Drone - Forehand

This is going to be my biggest adjustment. I normally use a Meteor/Buzzz/Verdict setup. But I think the Comet will be a much better winter mid for me. From there, I wanted to try to keep the rim style similar across the mid lineup.

Fairway Drivers:

• GL River - Turnovers
  • DX Teebird - Straight
  • G* Teebird - Primary FW
  • Pinnacle Rival - Hyzers and Forehands

I typically use Champ Teebirds, so this isn't going to be a big change for me.

Distance Drivers:

• FLX Avenger SS - Annys
  • GL Fury - Turnovers
  • Lucid Renegade - Primary standstill distance
  • TP Sword - Full power distance
  • Star XCal (Beat) - RHFH Anny, RHBH Hyzer
  • Star XCal (New) - RHFH Flex/Hyzer

The only major difference here is that I've dropped the Speed 13's that I use for Max D in the summer. I can still get plenty of distance out of the Sword (RHBH) and XCal (RHFH).

Latest posts