• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte NC advise

highbri

Looking for some help from anyone living in or has good knowledge of Charlotte, NC. This past March, me and some throwin' homies flew up to Seattle to play Kayak Point Disc Golf Resort (4 courses). We rented a car and drove back to Sacramento hitting some awesome courses along the way (Peir Park>Milo McIver>Whistler's Bend). We had an absolute BLAST! We are starting to plan for our trip in 2024 to Charlotte, NC. Looking to hit Hornets Nest, Nevin, Eastway Park, and any other course we can hit in a 4 day stay. Planning on an Air B & B. Where should I be looking to find a central spot to stay? Any other advice would be SO much appreciated.

NoDa area (near Eastway or Veterans) is your best place to be. Second choice would be Ballantyne/South Charlotte. Avoid staying in areas directly around Sugaw, Nevin, Hornets, and Reedy.

NoDa area (near Eastway or Veterans) is your best place to be. Second choice would be Ballantyne/South Charlotte. Avoid, staying in areas directly around Sugaw, Nevin, Hornets, and Reedy..
As Craig said must avoid staying in the areas around sugaw directly !

i returned this dudes disc i found and was at sugaw when he finally responded and said to leave it by a sign and swore it "would be fine"

i couldnt imagine leaving a disc in the open standing up next to the info kiosk especially in that area

i just went along with it and got a thank you text a few hours later

i was really surprised

i returned this dudes disc i found and was at sugaw when he finally responded and said to leave it by a sign and swore it "would be fine"

i couldnt imagine leaving a disc in the open standing up next to the info kiosk especially in that area

i just went along with it and got a thank you text a few hours later

i was really surprised

Can't smoke it or pawn it for crack so it probably was safe. The police roll through there pretty frequently too.

I'd stay near Renaissance Gold myself. That park has three courses and a skate park, and is more centrally located to the courses I'd want to play. It gives you easy access to I77 and 485, and traffic is much lighter than the Noda area.

Here are some courses to consider you didn't already mention:

Renaissance Gold (Two other courses on site as well)
Winget
Westminster Park (Rock Hill)
Canaan Riverbend (Fort Mill)
Scrapyard
Elon Park (two courses, one easy one tough)
Rolling Pines (About an hour NW)
Chester State Park (About 45 minutes S - Two courses, beautiful 18 hole course and short warm-up 9 hole)

I've made videos of all these courses here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9vemP8jUQRse272Q1O5nz96su1IWsbit

Thanks for the recommendations! I really appreciate it. Keep them coming. Would love to play a round or two with some locals when we get there, so if anyone is interested in throwing with us you are more than welcome to. We an easy going bunch that love to throw. 870- 916 rated decent not great throwers. We like to have a good time.while taking our game not too seriously.

I'm not local, but I was just down that way. I like Mike's suggestions. Winget, Renny, Chester SP, Elon park are all excellent. I personally loved The Scrapyard. Camp Canaan is great too, more limited availabilty though, but well worth it.

Kilborne and Eastway are super fun courses. You can't really go wrong over there from what I seen.

Rolling through that way in a couple of weeks and going to try and play Renaissance and finish the round that I didn't get to at Hornets nest.

Have played Nevin and recently Winthrop, getting up to the Carolinas a lot this year.

Here are some courses to consider you didn't already mention:
What you will enjoy really depends on your player level, how far you throw, and what kind of terrain that you like. Plus taste is always subjective. The DGCR ratings are all very reliable, though.

I re-ordered Mike's list and added a few more (in bold). The good thing is that all of the main courses in Charlotte are good, so you can't go wrong. Use the TR course ratings to decide.

Camp Canaan, 2 courses, Rock Hill SC. IMO RIverbend is in the Top 3-5 Best in SC.
Chester State Park (About 45 minutes S - Two courses, beautiful 18 hole course and short warm-up 9 hole)
Elon Park (two courses, one easy one tough)
Renaissance, iconic park that shows some signs of age but 3 courses onsite
Reedy Creek
Cane Creek in Waxhaw. My personal favorite shorter course in the extended Charlotte Metro area with 2 of the Most Scenic holes in the state of NC.
Bradford, north in Davidson. Very popular!
Stumpy Creek north in Mooresville. Fantastic terrain on the woods holes.
Dry Creek in Monroe. Gold is one of the 3 longest courses in NC if you like that kind of challenge.
Scrapyard
RL Smith. Has some iconic holes but it lost some good holes a while back.
Winget

Looking for some help from anyone living in or has good knowledge of Charlotte, NC. This past March, me and some throwin' homies flew up to Seattle to play Kayak Point Disc Golf Resort (4 courses). We rented a car and drove back to Sacramento hitting some awesome courses along the way (Peir Park>Milo McIver>Whistler's Bend). We had an absolute BLAST! We are starting to plan for our trip in 2024 to Charlotte, NC. Looking to hit Hornets Nest, Nevin, Eastway Park, and any other course we can hit in a 4 day stay. Planning on an Air B & B. Where should I be looking to find a central spot to stay? Any other advice would be SO much appreciated.
We went out to Charlotte and spent 10 days. We played about a dozen courses. We stayed in an Airbnb that backed up to Elon Park. The neighborhood was terrific and we were a quick drive to all the Charlotte area courses.....THERE A LOT OF THEM!!!! I really enjoyed Renny Gold and Nevin. This is a mecca of wooded disc golf. I will leave further course advice to the locals and baggers.

The Airbnb was in Ballentyne.....I would recommend this area to stay.

Last edited: